Tactics

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by Kenpoman, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

If they aren't controlled I'm not cuffing - period!

2. Kenpoman

Kenpoman Valued Member

Aman!

3. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

Like I said, the way we handled the actual cuffing was different, and I wasn't a fan of his methods for arm/hand control when he was deploying the cuffs either. That was merely the best video I could quickly locate illustrating the principles of footwork on a prone aggressor the way I was taught them. The footwork wasn't exact either, but it was close enough for the purpose of explaining why that position gives someone more control than "holding one arm, kind of on their side but mostly facing you, your pistol in their face." That was sort of the entire point and the one you didn't address.

I didn't find that to be the case about the cuffs, either. I always had a strong position of dominance over someone's body before I began cuffing and their resistance didn't increase once the first click of the cuffs happened. The most belligerent and combative person immediately went limp and apologetic once they heard and felt the final click of the cuffs though. It was like Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde.

So, how do you feel Paul Adkins' demonstration is superior to a prone, belly position for cuffing someone? Also, are there any videos of Paul Adkins online for us to see his demonstrations more accurately?

4. Kenpoman

Kenpoman Valued Member

Well, reading the article I found it to be interesting because he did not care about how the techniques was or how you got there, he was making the point that if you are fighting with someone and instead of how I am getting this person down. He said to adjust the situation by moving the head up allows you the benefit to change the situation and make it easier to take someone down. I did try it.... I had someone struggle with me and not letting me take them down and once I moved his head bam! he was light on the feet and it was easy to take them down.

5. Kenpoman

Kenpoman Valued Member

I do not know if he makes videos or not. He never mention them when he came to give a class. Nothing to buy. I think he just teaches Federal governments and US Military.

6. John R. Gambit

The whole "control the head to control the body" bit was what you found exciting about this? How long have you been studying martial arts? No offense, but I learned that when I was twelve, my first month of training.

Here are the things I'm not a fan of in his demo:
    1.) Complaint attacker.
    2.) I prefer to use a fist full of throat or jaw to control the head.
    3.) The uke doesn't appear to have enough weight off the rear leg Paul is about to sweep. (This is hard to determine from still photos though and may not be accurate.)
    4.) Paul's knee is aligned directly against the uke's elbow. The fulcrum should be slightly higher on the arm, between the elbow and the meat of the tricep. The slightest twist from the uke would relieve the pressure on his elbow as it is.
    5.) Paul should be using more torque to hyperextend the elbow joint.
    6.) Paul should be placing more weight on the floating ribs.
    7.) Paul shouldn't be drawing his pistol with minimal control over his uke while semi-grappling him.
    8.) Why hold the pistol so close to the uke's face and within the radius of his arms?
    9.) How is Paul's partner going to assist in cuffing the uke from that position?

7. Kenpoman

Kenpoman Valued Member

You know what's funny I have been doing Martial Arts for over 20 years and fighting not only in the tournament's but also Rage in the cage (MMA stuff). People make me laugh sometimes. you can take a look at the picture and pick it apart of what if and what if. But are only insecure with themselves. The whole head thing and more here. The article was about shifting weight. Dude I can not know what he was thinking at the time or why he choose to do that particular movement but, all I can go off of is what he was trying to do. like the old saying goes you can never learn from pictures

8. John R. Gambit

Er, double post. Oops.

9. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Conveniently the same awesome guy the OP referred to also teaches Kenpo in California. Our OP trains in Kenpo in California. Coincidence?

http://jimadkinskenpo.com/california_paul_adkins

Interesting how despite his "tacti-cool" outfit there is no mention of military or even LE experience.

10. mattt

mattt Valued Member

The old saying is 'a picture tells a thousand words'

11. Kenpoman

Kenpoman Valued Member

lol.... funny guy
    Yep, when he trained our LE agency he did say he lived in CA. What's the big deal, a lot of professionals live in CA and What's the big deal about Kenpo? Kenpo is every where you look out here. That is where Ed Parker start it. So, your point being?

12. Kenpoman

Kenpoman Valued Member

Just looked at the website, lol... dude it says at the top of the page he is in the Military and teaches LE sooooo what's your point??

13. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

I'm in agreement actually. If I'm taking someone down to control them, I'm getting them on their stomach for control. Any time I'm locking someone down I want it to be in a strong position for handcuffing. In the one demonstrated, you'd risk losing control when going for the handcuffs and the moment you let up the **** you're tussling with will know it too and the fight's back on.

Personally I'm starting to become a big fan of waki gatame when they're face down. Never got to try it out yet on the beat but it's only a matter of time.

14. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

It actually doesn't say he's in the military on this page at all. And many people claim to teach all sorts of agencies but most of the time it's individuals and not the agencies themselves.

What is his military experience? Branch, years, deployments, training, certifications? What's his LE experience?

15. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

We get people promoting their instructors as awesome all the time, hence why it seems awfully convenient.

16. Kenpoman

Kenpoman Valued Member

at the top of the page it says he is in the Navy (from the post you linked) but in the other post it shows:
    Paul Adkins has been in the Martial Arts for over 25 years. He teaches to Law Enforcement, US Special Operations, US Military, SWAT Teams. Paul has been an Police Officer, SWAT, LE Sniper and currently serving in the US Navy Reserve deployed in support of Operation Enduring Freedom and a Military Firearms Instructor, EDM Sniper,Defensive Tactics Instructor

Which is taken off the article

17. Kenpoman

Kenpoman Valued Member

But I do not know anything more just what I read and from the one class he did for us... So go read his article and commit on it. I am sure he will find it or commit it back. If you want I can walk down to out training dept her at the 103 and find out how they got a hold of him and then you can ask him then??

18. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Fumbling with his handcuffs is the student's fault. The nice thing about this position is you have the time to slow down and apply the handcuffs. Too many officers try to rush it and end up taking longer or improperly handcuffing.

19. Kenpoman

Kenpoman Valued Member

Students I saw the instructor in the video I watched. But let me tell you from years of experience of being a cop you can go slow, fast or med it does not matter if you fumble like he did in the video and the guy wants to fight, then the fight is on. Did you know that statistics show if the guy you are arresting hears that first click of the cuffs, that is when the fight is on. So watch the video again and notice every time he pulls the cuffs out he is fumbling (the instructor) I put mine in the case so when I pull it out the arm is already there and I did not have to fumble

20. John R. Gambit

I made a typo here. The weight should be predominately on the rear leg (heel of the foot) you're about to sweep with osotogari.

We're all still learning here and I am by no means an expert. That said, osotogari is one of my favorite judo throws and what I assumed was sloppy jujutsu is apparently sloppy ninjutsu. I have about seven solid years of training in ninjutsu and I've applied that training many times.