Tactics

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by Kenpoman, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

need a coffee?

2. Kenpoman

Kenpoman Valued Member

I think you read the article wrong? I read it as a tool about body mechanics, meaning regardless how you throw or move, what technique you use the fact that you lift someone's head the body weight will change and makes it easier to move someone. That's what I saw.

3. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

I was standing by to see if that was some sort of inside joke like Tapout or something. Apparently not.

He's probably over there sipping on dat' Haterade.

4. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Nothing so sexy. I wasn't a contractor with quotation marks. As a euphemism for "operator," etc. I did editorial work for agencies (mostly NIH) in the DC area.

My point being that it doesn't mean I was a supereditor. The company I worked for had a good sales pitch. That's all.

Combatives aren't radically different. There are all sorts of factors that go into someone being contracted by the government. Connections, lowest bid, etc. It would be a big mistake to assume that it implied much more than that.

5. Hannibal

It was a bit of a disconnected post !

6. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Didn't like the "taki ori" either.

I'm not getting into the ins and outs of Military CQ stuff because that's outside of my knowledge base but I'd sooner see that arm being extended at the elbow with a lot of pressure. Don't want the other guy thinking about much beyond his arm feeling like it is about to snap. Also more hip control perhaps?

If we are sticking with keeping him on his back that is.

7. Kenpoman

Kenpoman Valued Member

above commit was for John R. Gambit

8. Hannibal

I have been caught out like that when i forget to quote the post!

9. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

There's a button looking thing at the bottom of each post that says "quote." If you click it, it will quote (as you see I've quoted you for this post) the person you want to respond to and you can still write your post. It'll make life a whole lot easier when replying to multiple people and when a lot of people are posting in a thread.

10. Hannibal

No I read it exactly right - it isn't exactly a revelation

The first post you put was this

and after the initial confusion (because it looked like you were spamming a supply site ;) ) the article was certainly not even close to living up to the hyperbole

11. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

Why not demonstrate that exact same principle only putting the attacker down in a less defensible position requiring less subtle joint manipulations to safely control? Also, does Paul Adkins have any videos of his martial arts?

12. Dean Winchester

Ultimately though it's not about the head.

It's the spine.

13. Kenpoman

Kenpoman Valued Member

@ Hannibai, liked your video I still think it is funny to add music when working sticks. Paul still does that with his bongos.

14. Hannibal

or the goolies...

15. Hannibal

Yeah he does (or at least did when I last saw) - often completely out of time with the other music too! Vu never did dance to anyone else beat :)

16. Kenpoman

Kenpoman Valued Member

Thanks! lol...

17. Kenpoman

Kenpoman Valued Member

True! lol...

18. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

Presumably, you take someone down like that you're going to be handcuffing or zip tying them. This is how I was taught to handcuff someone in CDT.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGT_EHPxUP0"]YouTube[/ame]

You place them on their bellies, your knee near their armpit to take away leverage from one of their arms (and because these systems assume the operators will be right-handed and that is the kneeling stance for a hip draw), and your foot near their head to control head leverage or to kneel on their neck if they became combative. While the video I linked doesn't demonstrate this, your partner takes the same position (left knee down) on the opposite side of the person being handcuffed, denying leverage to their other arm. Usually your partner will be facing the opposite direction you are to cover your back. (In CDT, we did the prone cuff slightly differently, interlocking the fingers behind the back so we could grab a fist full of fingers with the offhand and draw with our right if we needed to.) If someone landed on their side, then you would put them all the way down before deploying a pistol or handcuffs.

19. Dean Winchester

We have similar stuff but it ends in cutting their neck. :D

20. Kenpoman

Kenpoman Valued Member

Did not like the video, Being a Cop for sooooo many years you never want to fumble with the handcuffs. I watched it over and over and he fumble almost every time. Did you know that the fight is on once the person you are arresting hears the first click! So maybe he needs to position the cuffs first?