Tabata Ideas

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Freeform, May 8, 2010.

1. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

I want your tabata ideas...

Scrub that, I want to know what exercises you have actually done regularly as a tabata.

I'm bored with what I do and want something new that has worked for you in the past.

My favorites:

Front Squat
    Power Clean
    Sprawl
    Burpees (with minimum air time)

Your turn...

2. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Vomitting? ;) :)

Skipping
    Stationary bike
    Pushups
    Bodyweight squats
    Ground and pound on a floorbag
    Armbars on a floorbag
    Heavy bag punching
    Squat thrusts
    Mountain climbers
    Split jumps
    Jumping jacks
    chinnies
    Sprints
    dumbbell swings

3. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

Punching as quickly as possible on a heavy bag with 16oz gloves. That was a favorate of Robbie Lawler when he took classes. Its a killer

4. Freeform

Hey Frodo,

5. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I thought 20 seconds chin up was the struggling to make 1?

You, Frodocious, are a very scarey woman indeed. :D

Mitch

6. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Pounding a tire with a sledgehammer is a really fun Tabata interval. Just switch hands during your rest period.

7. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

That sounds good, I want to try it. Theres tires and sledges at my new boxing gym, goin to see if I can go in on a weekend and have been a little conditioning session!

I liked burpies, although I personally found it hard to keep up the intensity required with them. And pull ups for me would be a laugh, not the nice kind.

8. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Recently I've come back to something I hand out to the clients all the time:

Rowing Machines sprints using a Tabata protocol... :p

3 min. warm up row... nice and easy pace.
    X30sec. all out sprint
    X15sec. easy row
    X5 sets

Yep still an ass kicker. Though you really want someone standing right over you screaming in your face that you're not working hard enough, fast enough etc. I find it always helps to pressurize the person doing them. My favorite saying of the moment...

"This is not the late train!!! Do not be on it!!!" :p

Yes it's all a bit silly to play drill instructor... but experience has shown me the harder I push them, the more I pressurize the scene, the more they are scared... the harder they work~!

Another one I like and use quite often and find that wrecks a lot of people... even fit ones... is:

Sprawl and Pop...

Start in the standing position... coach yells sprawl and swipes for a leg (not really shoot but just a visual to reinforce the idea that you are indeed sprawling to avoid a takedown)
    Person sprawls... driving hips to mat, head comes up, elbows almost lock out, nice flexion of spine...
    And then BANG! The person must come up to their feet in one smooth movement and immediately POP!!!... drive off the ground toes clearing the ground and go vertical with knees coming up to meet the chest as hands flag downward for balance... Easy on the first one... maybe... and bloody hard on all the rest.

These in a 5X5 format are ass kickers... I usually stick X5 sprawl 'n pops followed by 15 sec. of mountain-climbers. This will make anyone sweat.
    Again... best to pressurize this. Have a gorilla stand by to motivate. :)

Last edited: May 9, 2010
  9. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

I got the idea from Ross Boxing.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJWqx-zPffs"]Sledgehammer Training - RossTraining.com - YouTube[/ame]

You'll have fun.

10. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

The following 3 drills all have "direct" result to your combat skill development and not just "indirect" result such as "sit up" or "push up".

- Punch on heavy bag like a mad man as fast as you can and as powerful as you can, don't stop until you are complete exhausted (about 50 to 60 punches). Catch your breath and repeat. I like this drill because I can always use it on a live human being if needed.

- Get a coconut, drill 2 holes, tie 2 ropes on both holes and on 2 trees on the other ends. Try to chase and hit that coconut like a human's head daily.

- Bear hug your heavy bag, pick it up, and throw it over your head.

Last edited: May 9, 2010
  11. Frodocious

Stationary bike - How do you get the workrate high enough in 20secs?
    I use a light resistance setting and peddle as hard and as fast as I can.

Ground and pound on a floorbag - This becomes qualitative as opposed to quantitative though....
    If it tires me out, it works as a tabata - I don't really count reps.

Armbars on a floorbag - How'd you manage to get a good workrate going, how were you 'resetting'?
    I just spin from seated on the bag to an armbar position then from the floor sit straight back up on to the bag facing the opposite way and do the armbar spin again.

chinnies - Ugggg, now if only I could do 20sec continuous chins
    Just to clear things up (and ruin my reputation as a hard woman), chinnies are like crunches but alternate legs (some people call them bicycling crunches).

dumbbell swings - I've been doing the RKC hardstyle KB swings, though it's hard at the time I just don't feel that it's worked me hard immediately afterwards [Note: I massively rate the hardstyle swing for this as opposed to the normal swing!]
    I often throw a set of these in as a finisher at the end of a workout, so I'm already tired.

12. Freeform

Fair point :)

I'll pretend I never saw that to protect your womanly reputation ;)

13. Frodocious

:cool: Much appreciated! :)

14. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

after reading i am now very scared of frodo...

the ground and pound is a killer.
    i sometimes do a 15second ground and pound then roll straight into a neck bar/bear hug (my GF lingo is lacking here you're lyining on your back with the bag/opponento on their back ontop and you choke their heads off) and squeeeeeezzzeee as hard as you can for 10 sec. 5 sec rest and repeat.

good fun and it does me in