Systema

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by myki, Apr 26, 2005.

1. myki

myki New Member

Has anyone trained in systema and how did you find it adapted for wheelchair MA?

Also, did you train with an instructor or through the videos?

Cheers!

2. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

I do Systema but I can't comment from a personal perspective as to how it adapts for use in a wheelchair.

I will say though that I should imagine it would work very well as it's an extremely adaptable art and one that seems to become a part of each practioner, in a very personal manner, there’s not one guy at our club who moves the like the others it’s all very individual.

I will say though, like most MA, you can’t learn it from videos you really do have to take part to learn how to relax which is one of the key elements.

RobP can probably fill you in better than I, he’s an Instructor

Last edited: Apr 26, 2005
  3. myki

myki New Member

Thanks SpookyFBI, I spoke to RobP on another thread, he gave me some good advice!

I was just seeing if anyone in a wheelchair had taken Systema and how they found it.
    Are there any good books about Systema? Maybe I'll do a little background research on it. It seems very intriguing, especially the internal aspects. (relaxation, clarity etc)

Can you recommend?

4. Mista-X

Mista-X Valued Member

We have done drills from sitting in a chair, so I could imagine that the principles of Systema could be used by a person in a wheelchair.

5. RobP

RobP Valued Member

Hi Myki

Just to really echo what the other people have sdaid, I think you will find Systema useful for you.

As you are in Canada you can contact Vladimir direct at www.russianmartialart.com you'll find the folk there very helpful

cheers
    Rob

6. sonj

sonj New Member

hi good people-

this is my first post here.

Having a progressivly disabling condition myself I would be greatfull for any information/links to information about Systema.

or indeed any encouragement about trying to resume my modest hapkido atempts.