Systema?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by bujingodai, Feb 2, 2014.

1. bujingodai

bujingodai Retired Supporter

I have been training and teaching in another style for 20 years.
    Have been thinking of departing the scene for some time, if not longer. Looking into other arts.
    Systema, opinons?
    I live in the GTA area of Ontario. Wonder if there are any decent reputable schools. I live in Oshawa more specifically

what kind of rates would one expect to pay?

2. mattt

mattt Valued Member

Why are you looking for a style, or caring about a price?

I ask because if you have 20 years of training you should have a certain amount of foundation, and as such neither variable is relevant. All that matters is who you can train with.

3. bujingodai

Well I was asking a question, not to be asked why I am asking a question frankly.

It was conversation. So, after 20 years I should have such a foundation that I have no need to ask such questions?
    As for money, well I realize it matters little in effect. But yet again such a question

4. mattt

mattt Valued Member

My suggestion is that you look at it differently, take it or leave it.

5. bujingodai

Which is what I was at.
    I was asking as to a reputable place to check it out. specifically in my area.

6. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Systema = lack of consistency in quality.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  7. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I assume you'll have some weapons knowledge, so how about something like Eskrima.

A total departure from what you do now, but still a system that has weapons, empty hands, kicks, locks, chokes and so on.

8. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Give it a wide berth, IMO.

Eskrima is a good suggestion, it'll get your feet moving slightly differently to the Japanese based arts you are used to and the weapons work is a blast.

Have you thought of another JMA? Iai, kenjutsu or something?

Or perhaps there is a good JKD school near? Again it'll be different to what you are used to and give you some flexibility in what's covered.

9. bujingodai

I have considered another JMA.
    If so, it would be something more akin to the sword.

Eskrima may also be a great idea thank you.

I'm sort of finishing off my commitments this year. Whether it is permanent or sabbatical of sorts. I need something different.

10. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Are you looking at being a student, or still being a teacher straight away?

Finding a good art with high standards that will let you teach right away isnt going to happen.

11. shootodog

shootodog restless native

12. RobP

RobP Valued Member

13. bujingodai

I was not a teacher right away?

Why would I want a school that had me teach right away?

14. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

15. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

<deprecated>

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  16. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Exactly, but you did found your own ninjutsu system!

17. bujingodai

I did not "found" my own Ninjutsu system. Nor am I going to get into the history again of how it came to be the way it is.

I was a student.

Really, I am asking a question about a system.

Does that really mean right off the bat, I am looking to recreate something?
    is it quite possible in 20 years I may have picked up something or learnt from it, or derived an opinion on it to some degree.

Is the purpose in this conversation so out there that I might say, I am a little tired to a degree of what I am doing and am asking advice about an art.

That is what this forum is for right?

Instead one gets mocked based on others opinions of them

Can we stay on topic please.

18. pseudo

pseudo Padawan

I think you were given good advice by shootodog and seeing that Hannibal echoed said advice, chances are it's a reputable place. As far as Systema is concerned, I hear quality control is an issue. If you are dead set on systema, I would personally try and get a hold of someome like mikhail ryabko via email to see if he can recommend someone in your area.

Good luck, hope you find what you are looking for.

19. pseudo

pseudo Padawan

I had to look into systema again after this thread, I have to say, I'm more the skeptical about this system.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmB9wxpjjuI&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]Mikhail Ryabko Systema Japan Special Class 18th March 2013 Clip 4 - YouTube[/ame]

It seems... supernatural, almost jedi like :p.

20. shootodog

shootodog restless native

What? Han going to a reputable place? Oh, you mean martial arts don't you. :D