Systema Endorsed by Inosanto, Denny and Machado

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by David Harrison, May 8, 2018.

1. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

It sounds like the first video, he is saying - try and pick me up, you can't because my chi is so big.

The second one has some merit, certainly you aren't going to be casually attacking people as they are on their weekend walk, but timing the balance during movement is useful.
    I recall that as a lesson in judo, we sat down and people walked past, you had to tap the back of their heel just as they were landing their foot, it was a nice visual introduction for children learning sweeps.

David Harrison likes this.
  2. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

It's the hugging that I find really sweet! :)

axelb likes this.
  3. David Harrison

Yes, a certain number of their exercises I can see some benefit in as play and exploration. I just haven't seen anything that would bridge the gap between that and effective fighting.

4. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Anyone with a toddler knows that if someone bear hugs you and then falls over they can unbalance you even if they weigh significantly less.

Mitch, David Harrison and axelb like this.
  5. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

Hahaha! Toddler jitsu, the secret art of the parent.
    Also in this publication is nappy ground work.

6. David Harrison

Ryabko does look really cuddly though. Like a giant, squishy teddy bear. :)

axelb likes this.
  7. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I get Ryabko mixed up with Rhabdo, that disease cross fitters get when they achieve peak cross-fittery.

Knee Rider likes this.
  8. David Harrison

Ryabko doesn't look like a cross fitter...

9. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

More like a carpet fitter. :)

Knee Rider, axelb and David Harrison like this.
  10. David Harrison

Another Machado brother, this time I think it is more obvious that there is an amount of being star-struck and wanting to get on the celebrity gravy train at play.

What I find weird is selling breathing as a way to control the cardiovascular and emotional feedback loop. Doesn't everyone who is used to sparring do that?

axelb likes this.
  11. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Going back to the toddler example...everyone with a toddler knows the value of taking a deep breath to control emotions...both for the toddler and the parent! :)

axelb, David Harrison and Dead_pool like this.
  12. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Machado to wheeler or wheeler to machado?

In terms of maximising income from a school, I can see why having an athletic MA class and a non athletic MA class in the same location will maximise the breadth of student base.

13. David Harrison

Machado seemed very impressed that Wheeler has Hollywood actors training with him.

14. Dead_pool

15. Dead_pool

"Wheeler Systema has been featured on the big and small screen alike. Martin has choreographed the fight scenes in the Richard Gere film “The Double”, featured in a series of three documentaries called “Secret Service Secrets”, aired by the Discovery Channel, which shows Wheeler Systema hand-to-hand combat demonstrations by Martin Wheeler himself."

Martin Wheeler - English Systema Instructor - Systema South West

16. Dead_pool

I havn't looked through this yet, but it looks to be the same discovery "documentary"

17. David Harrison

Here are the Wheeler clips:

Doorman who wants to be elite CP operative or special forces is a recurring theme in RBSD.

axelb and Dead_pool like this.
  18. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

Anecdotal Systema tale - a few years back, one of our senior grades spent a few months training at a (underground - his words) Systema group in London, where he claimed that he had learned how to absorb any kick - Which of course, we needed to see before we believed.

During one of the classes that followed, our instructor asked him to demonstrate the above, by 'absorbing' a front kick - The 1st attempt saw him being kicked off his feet, and into a wall, whilst on the 2nd attempt, he was literally kicked out through a double fire door (which was proped open at the time)

He claimed after the 1st kick that he had not prepared himself properly, but was more than willing to face up to facts, once he was made to exit the building.

My thoughts on Systema were more or less cemented on this day...

Travess

19. Dead_pool

"That is Martin Wheeler, world famous Systema expert and endorsed by the great Rigan Machado. Now, you might be saying that those knife attacks were slow as molasses.

You might be thinking that that they weren’t really trying to stab Wheeler because of the weird, cultish suggestibility of the kind of person who would attend a Systema seminar.

When you see Wheeler and his friend throwing tennis balls at each other and quick drawing as they fall into shooting positions from the movies, you might even be ready to call this LARPing. But I would point out to the sceptic that the video title from Wheeler’s own youtube channel insists that those knife attacks were full speed. I would also call you a ‘non-believant’ and walk away from the conversation. This would, in fact, just further prove the practical application of that principle of evasion. "

Great article by Jack slack!
    Wushu Watch: Advanced Ways to Get Stabbed to Death | FIGHTLAND

Knee Rider and axelb like this.
  20. Dead_pool