Systema Endorsed by Inosanto, Denny and Machado

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by David Harrison, May 8, 2018.

1. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

I'm a couple of years late to this, so apologies if it's been discussed here before.

Martin Wheeler, student of Vladimir Vasiliev, has Dan Inosanto, Marc Denny and Rigan Machado endorsing him.

Having never done any of these arts, I wondered what people's opinions on this are. Have they sold out, is there something to this Systema stuff, or is there something else at play?

Last edited: May 8, 2018
  2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

He Co rents Machado's gym with him.

So that's that him explained.

Dan insonato is super nice, and is a student of rigan (Iirc) so maybe that explains that.

It looks like they were all there in the same day, maybe it was the opening day?

Not much help I know.

David Harrison and Knee Rider like this.
  3. Dead_pool

Knee Rider likes this.
  4. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

What Deadpool said plus there appear to be some applicable concepts in systema around natural movement, relaxation, mentality etc it's just it seems to veer off course and lose track of its fundamental purpose in favour of exploring it's more esoteric intricacies. Not too unlike aikido in that regard. In top of that you've got the tacticool fantasy larp elements which attract the most charlatanistic and deluded of people so whatever good there is buried at the core, it's easily obfuscated.

David Harrison and Dead_pool like this.
  5. Dead_pool

Guro Marc “Crafty Dog” Denny | Dog Brothers Martial Arts Association

Marc is also a student of rigan.

So either rigan asked for testamonials for his gym, and they were overly kind, or the same as above, but they're telling the truth... ..

I know which one I think is more likily, but then again, conversely, I do think kevin secours is a generally "good".

6. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I noticed they all gave testimonials to Martin wheeler, and do not really refer to systems in general.

Dead_pool and David Harrison like this.
  7. David Harrison

Yeah, so I was aware of the gym co-ownership, also of the link between Denny, Inosanto and Machado. Still though, being nice only goes so far before it becomes dishonest. Would Machado share a gym with Ashida Kim?

Wheeler does seem to be chucking cash around to build his business, as I see paid ads on YouTube every now and again from him, but I would hope that those three would be above bribery!

I also noticed that all testimonials were about Martin Wheeler specifically, but Wheeler in turn speaks very highly of his teacher, Vladimir Vasiliev, and of Systema as a whole.

I just found it interesting, as Systema is usually discussed with derision here, yet these three men are usually spoken of in glowing terms.

Here's another testimonial, from a pro kickboxing and MMA guy who expected it to all be nonsense:

axelb and Knee Rider like this.
  8. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

I think it's interesting that he speaks about it in terms of concepts around movement, new perspectives on existing entrained skills and mindset. To me this appears confirmatory of my belief that systems contains some ideas of value.

Have you ever seen a school of systems that didn't reek of martial woo though? I think what an already trained fighter with real world experience of violence can get out of it might differ from a day one newb especially if the instruction is suspect.

I can't help feel that it is to sambo what aikido is to judo.

9. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

And Steve Rowe has just jumped into bed with Matt Fiddes and is rolling out his tai Chi through Matt's clubs.

I'm sure you can guess my opinion on all of the above.

10. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I'm very much of the opinion that it's not worth the effort even if there is a solid instructor out there. I'd rather spend my time in something more proven and combative. For instance, I sometimes do panantukan drills and footwork when I feel my kickboxing is getting stale.

My instructor has done systema though and says it's just another thought process to consider.

axelb, Knee Rider and David Harrison like this.
  11. David Harrison

Yeah, that's pretty much the impression I get.

12. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I think this just goes to prove...don't have heroes...have people you admire...have people you may try to emulate in some way...be inspired by people...but don't have heroes.

13. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Carlson Gracie endorsed Samuel Kwok and wing chun a few years ago at the same time making money from joint seminars... These people are at the end of the day professional teachers making a loving from what they do, we should never be blind to that fact and elevate them to hero status when in reality all we are doing is paying their wages for them

14. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

As well as above (getting paid for what they do) also depends what they did in the lesson. The drills they practiced could have been the more practical side.

I had a look at some of his other stuff, and it stinks of the similar complaisant drills I have seen in TMA - people falling over themselves whilst they move to the side.

I always understand the need for passive partner when learning a drill - but when demonstrating, it reeks of cult like master brown nosing demo.
    Drilling against an inexperienced overly passive partner can make you look like a wizard:

Clearly he has an understanding of basics, but mixes this in with the hocuspocus which seems too prevalent in Systema.

I know my word doesn't weigh for much, but I wouldn't endorse it (but I'm not getting paid either :D )

Whenever I went to check out clubs to train at, I never looked at how "good" the teacher was, always looked at how the majority of the students train like and move - that's the real testament of what a club is worth.

David Harrison likes this.
  15. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Well that first video is a whole bunch of raging nonsense.

16. Dead_pool

Did he ever fight in MMA? He's always mentioning he used to train in MMA, as an advertising point.

17. Dead_pool

David Harrison likes this.
  18. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I'm beginning to think a really good indicator of a nonsense MA demonstration is how often the people watching go "oooh" and "aaahh".
    Seems to be indicative of how indoctrinated the spectators are and/or how much the demonstrator is trying to impress or beguile rather than impart knowledge or illustrate a concept.
    Most BJJ or Thai demonstrations (IIRC) just involve people watching fairly intently and then nodding when they understand a point of detail or instruction.

axelb and David Harrison like this.
  19. David Harrison

So, I believe that Ryabko is Vasiliev's teacher? Who in turn is Wheeler's teacher?

This is a personal favourite, I wish I knew what they were saying!

But then, some tricks do make a more sense when you know how they are done (I mean, once we ignore how useful pushing people while walking normally over is, the timing for exploiting balance in someone who is ready to fight being generally very different):

Yes, it's a show, not instruction.

axelb likes this.
  20. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Luckily I speak fluent Russian...

"look comrade...look at the nonsense I can get westerners to pay me to show them....go...pretend to fall over when I look at you and they'll think I'm badass".

Frodocious, David Harrison and axelb like this.