Symbols or Crests

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by hunnysan, Aug 19, 2005.

1. hunnysan

hunnysan Valued Member

I've noticed many different schools around my area with different symbols or crests, or different types of patches on there uniform. And they've always fascinated me, so I was wondering if maybe some Kenpoist here on MAP could post a picture of what is on their GI, or what is the crest for their school, and what it means or maybe, what school it is associated with?? I will start first, but I don't know what my symbol means yet, because I'm new and that will be learned later on...Thanks

DJ Hunny

[​IMG]

2. Flashing Dagger

Flashing Dagger Valued Member

Our kenpo crests usually involve both images of the tiger and the dragon. I know that I'm over simplifying this, but generally we think of them in terms of physical strength and assertiveness tiger combined with the wisdom and restraint of the dragon.

In our studio many people just wear black or white uniforms. I think that sometimes too many patches and insignias serve to stroke the ego more often than help in the progress of our training.

3. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Our school uses its GM's family crest.

4. Tripitaka of AA

Tripitaka of AA Valued Member

In April 2005 the World Shorinji Kempo Organisation introduced their new unified mark. This logo is replacing earlier badges that differed from one country to another. The new logo is copyright protected around the world.

Previously, Japanese Shorinji Kempo practicioners used the Manji on their dogi. This is the mark best known to Westerners as a swastika. Although in the East (India, China, Japan) this symbol is universally accepted as a symbol of Buddhism, the 20th century association with the Nazi movement has made it difficult to ue the symbol so freely in the West. European branches of Shorinji Kempo have been using a badge based on the Kanji for "ken" (meaning "fist") for around 30 years. This logo was replaced by the souen, double-rings in April.

Attached Files:

• 65-0.jpg
      65-0.jpg
      File size:
      32.5 KB
      Views:
  5. hunnysan

hunnysan Valued Member

wow that looks cool..

I know what you are talking bout..the symbol you had before that looked like a Nazi symbol, but isn't the difference (in looks, anyways) is that the Nazi's was a little slanted and the buddhism one is just horizontal..? Or am I wrong?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2005
  6. Satori81

Satori81 Never Forget...

I also believe the Nazi Party reversed the direction of the symbol. While meaningless in Buddhism, I've been told that the Nazi Party wanted to use a symbol that basically went against the original intent of the Manji.

May you achieve
    Satori

7. hunnysan

hunnysan Valued Member

I hope I don't sound dumb..but what is Manji?? :confused:

8. Tripitaka of AA

Tripitaka of AA Valued Member

I'm just rushing out. When I have a bit of time I'll find the links to some great threads that explain all about the Manji (as it is known in Japan, or "swastika" as it is named in sanskrit) and also the hakenkreuze (the Nazi symbol of the tilted swastika).

Basically, Manji/Swastika is VERY old symbol found in a variety of cultures including India, China, Japan, Native American fabrics and some weird and unexpected places (the Canadian Women's Ice Hockey club, the Finnish Air Force, The Boy Scout's Movement Friendship badge, etc.).

Try a Search on "Swastika". Any of the online Encyclopaedia will be worth a read. I think it is worth knowing the truth about this ancient symbol.

9. Sheyja

Sheyja Valued Member

I have this one, it is energy arts.

Attached Files:

10. hunnysan

hunnysan Valued Member

Oh i see... manji is just another term for the swastica....i c..

And energy arts..that is a cool symbol..probably because red is my fav color..so did you instructor design that him/herself??

11. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

Sorry for the blur...

This is one of our school patches....

Attached Files:

12. hunnysan

hunnysan Valued Member

PS...urs looks really hard to embroider...well u know how most patches are embroidered..but they're probably done by machine so it wouldn't be that hard..but i couldn't imagine trying to do that by hand

13. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

Yeah its very detailed. I actually have one just like that, minus the words, embroidered on the back of one of my gi's ;)

14. hunnysan

hunnysan Valued Member

yeah, i'm waitin for the fan to be put on the back of my uniform...cuz i have a new uniform, and a lot of the adult uniform didn't get the picture done yet, but my little nephew has the fan on it already..i actually like mine the way it is..nice and plain, i just like it with maybe one or two patches..

15. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

Your school fan would look cool embroidered on the back of your gi top ;)

16. hunnysan

hunnysan Valued Member

yeah but it is silk screen..so it doesn't look as cool

17. Sheyja

Sheyja Valued Member

It was not my instructor, but his. I like it very much. The symbol is not patented in anyway, I'm sure you can feel free to use or adapt in anyway you see fit.

Attached Files:

18. hunnysan

hunnysan Valued Member

no way...that's wrong to take someone's symbol and just use it..that would be wrong..that would be like vanilla ice's stealing Queen's beat and making it his own..hahha