Syllabus

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by theviper, Nov 6, 2013.

1. theviper

theviper Valued Member

hello to all that read this

I am a little unsure on the best way to go about this. about 1 year ago the club I was with closed due to illness of our Sensei.
    I have now get the courage to start a club up myself I am 3rd Shotokan but the main trouble is that I don't want to teach rubbish I have asked my association for them to look over my syllabus and have not hear so I give them a call and asked about it and was told they are really busy and will look at it as soon as possible but it has been 5 weeks.

any idea please

Pete

2. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

How different is it from your sensei's syllabus? And why?

Please know that I'm not discouraging you from changing his/her syllabus. I did so myself. I just think that clarifying why you've opted to change the things you have will leave you better prepared to finalize your current syllabus.

3. Count Duckula

Count Duckula Valued Member

Presumably, you had a curriculum for each of your grades, with your own notes on kata etc. Why not used that as your syllabus?

4. theviper

theviper Valued Member

the syllabus that my sensei used was so basic and easy or may seem to be as it was a long time again I did the lower belt ??
    if any one thinks I am trying to be horrible to my old sensei I am not as he has taught me well
    ie for first belt you do to count and have 2 punch's, 4 block's, kick 2 and kihon kata upto first kiai and then second belt is same but under your own steam
    dose this seem easy or am I just being picky

thanks all

5. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

To me, that would be easy. But personal opinions vary between everyone. At one dojo I used to go to even as a yellow belt you had to perform most of the syllabus and some of the earlier katas, though the level you had to perform them at was more relaxed. The only difference in later belts was that the count got faster, the katas became more complex, there was more sparring and only a handful of extra techniques as the time went on. But for the kids, they had to do even less/more varied exercises and didn't have to perform the whole kata to begin with. At my latest dojo, the earlier grades essentially have to do most of what you said but the grading syllabus is exactly the same for everyone and the standard you have to perform the techniques at is pretty high.

At the end of the day it is entirely your choice what you put down, whether you feel it is right or wrong to perform gradings to certain levels (etc). The main thing you need to bear in mind though is that the gradings are for the students who won't be as comfortable, familiar or necessarily relaxed about performing the techniques as you are. So what you might find a dawdle, they still might find ghastly and extremely difficult.

6. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Nobody should think you horrible for wanting to extend yourself as a teacher. I'd like think that my teachers taught me to think for myself. Not simply to replicate precisely what they did.

7. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

You cannot teach your art the way your teacher taught it. You can only teach your art they way that you understand it. The two things are similar, but they are different.

8. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

^^ This is Good - I like this...

Travess

9. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

How rigidly do you have to stick to your associates syllabus?

I teach my own system, so it's easier for me, but how about building a frame work that can be developed and adjusted as you and your class grow?

My syllabus is shown below and although it may seem fairly comprehensive it is written to allow a great deal of flexibility.

Take away the weapons work from the first phase and you have enough to keep a boxer busy for months.

I don't have any kata, so that could be added instead of the weapons work.

You could, as I have, have each section written in such a way as certain attributes are trained.

If you can add some flexibility to your syllabus you may be able to cover your associations requirements, but also include your own techniques and drills along the way