Swords vs. Guns

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Cougar_v203, Apr 9, 2006.

?

Are Swirds better then guns?

1. Yes

16 vote(s)
    32.7%
  2. maybe

3 vote(s)
    6.1%
  3. meh

7 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. no

15 vote(s)
    30.6%
  5. maybe

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. I need a cookie :p

8 vote(s)
    16.3%
  1. Cougar_v203

Cougar_v203 4th surgery....Complete!

ok I'm fed up with people thinking swords are better then guns because thats just bull so I want to see what you people think

2. Mr Punch

Mr Punch Homicidal puppet

1) Have you been drinking?

2) Can I have some?

3) You've spelt swords "swirds" in the poll.

4) What does "meh" mean?

5) Why are there two maybes?

6) Swords are better for cutting things, guns are better for shooting things. End of story.

7) I've never fired anything other than airguns, and I've used really really nice swords a lot. So, for me swords are better. :p

3. Mr Punch

Mr Punch Homicidal puppet

Of course sword vs gun, gun wins. Though I did read some Special Forces guy say that people trained in knives have a good chance of taking out people untrained in guns over 12 feet, in terms of dodging, closing and finishing.

4. BloodWolf806

BloodWolf806 New Member

Swords are more stylish, but if i was ever in a situation where my life was at stake, I'd take a gun over a sword anyday.

5. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

it takes me 1.07 seconds to cover 5 metres from a stationary start. 5 metres is 16 feet, and im not a special forces guy, so Im guessing it would take them less than a second to close the gap. now if the guy had his gun holstered, how long do you think it would take him to pull it out, **** it, aim it, and fire. you wouldnt have to dodge.

if someone already had a gun out, cocked, and pointed at you, i think you would have to be james bond to dodge a bullet and then close the gap. now the guy might miss you because you are moving but you wont dodge it.

6. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

That's the only beef I have with concealed weapons. They're no good for self-defense, because by the time you take them out, you're screwed.

But I'll still take a gun over a sword. They're easier to use, smaller (I'm talking pistol), and safer (for me).

7. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Get real. Guns are uncivilized and swords are eternally cool. Give me a sword, preferably a katana but any sword.

8. rex00

rex00 Banned Banned

He said which are better by that i'm guessing he ment for effective in which case it is guns for obious reasons.

9. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

I voted for swords. Here's my reasoning: In a fight, I have no idea which would be better - I suspect it would depend on the circumstances and the respective users. However, when it comes to clowning around*, guns are fun, but swords are a hell of a lot cooler.

* Warning: Unsupervised clowning around with guns or swords may cause loss of blood, puncturing, severance of body parts and loss of life. I will not be held responsible for any losses suffered. Use strictly at your own risk.

10. Jamo2

Jamo2 The Louie Vitton Don

You have no idea which would be better?
    Cmon now, use your common sense.
    Yes a guy may be able to get to the gunman quick enough to stop him pulling it out over short distances. But i know, if somebodys pulling a gun on me, im not thinking clearly. Somebody pulls a knife on me then fair dos i might stand up to him. But then, a gun, well ****, take my dinner money sir.

11. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

well quite. if someone means to kill you with a gun you wont know about it until you hear the shot. in real life people dont stand 2 feet in front of you to shoot you.

12. karate princess

karate princess Savvy??

swords look better and you can do fancier things with them, but a gun strikes me as more effective in making people think 'oh s***'

ditto Jamo2

13. thepunisher

thepunisher Banned Banned

I voted meh because this is a foregone conclusion, the gun will win ! Thats like asking who would win this fight ? A samurai or an american soldier with an M16 assault rifle. Before the samurai would be able to take one step towards the soldier to launch his sword attack his body would be riddled with bullets. :woo:

Christian

14. Evil Betty

Evil Betty Birdy, birdy birdy

Swords are for historical collectors and larpers. I like me some pistols, shotguns, and rifles.

15. Seand

Seand New Member

Although a gunman would take down someone with a sword any day,I prefer swords.In a gunfight luck is a huge factor.In a one on one sword fight,it's mainly skill and strength that matter.Im untrained in firearms,but I reckon it wouldnt be much trouble for me to pull out a shotgun,and blast away.I'd rather guns weren't invented,and we were still using swords.Guns,and bombs for that matter,are very likely to kill an innocent person.Swords aren't.

16. Agutrot-

Agutrot- Jack of all Trades

Anyone who thinks swords are more effective then handguns or rifles do this expirement: get a friend with a paintball gun go to whatever setting you think you can win at and see what happens.

17. Cannibal Bob

Cannibal Bob Non Timetis Messor

Swords are better because you can swing of chandeliers, act all dashing and get the maidens. :p

I once heard that the FBI did some experiment and found an attacker with a knife would need to be at least 5 meters or something away for the agent to have enough time too draw, prepare, aim and fire the gun before the knife man stabbed them. Sorry, no references, just a story I heard a while ago.

What I'm saying IMHO it's just another 'too many variables' situation. e.g what range, who has the knife/gun, are both weapons already drawn, will the gun jam, do both people know how to use their weapons, are there restrictions on anyone (police etc.), who instigates the attack, and I could go on forever.

Swords are cooler though.

18. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

Did anyone see the BBC series 'Mind, Body and Kick Ass Moves'? On one of the programmes, there was a police force (I think it was in the Phillipines) where officers trained in knife (goodies) vs gun (baddies) scenarios.

Essentially the cops would draw their knives and rush at the guy with the gun and every single person training got to the guy with the gun before he could even point it at them. The person with the gun had to pull it, aim it and squeeze the trigger - a lot to do when someone is running at you full pelt with a knife.

However, I'd much rather chance it against someone with a knife/sword than someone with a gun...

19. Cannibal Bob

Cannibal Bob Non Timetis Messor

Way ahead of you. :cool:

[​IMG]

Sorry, couldn't resist. ;)

20. Kevin Skywalker

Kevin Skywalker New Member

"Well If You Ask Me"

I think that swords are better but thats for close range attacks and for guns they are for far away attacks so there for I would have to say that I would have to go with a Gunblade because heck its better because its both in one...