Swords on Gaya Won

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by KSW_Martley, Jul 21, 2006.

1. KSW_Martley

KSW_Martley Valued Member

I've noticed that there is only 1 sword being sold on kuksoolwon.com's online store. Last time I looked at the long swords section, there were a couple of types of straight swords, numerous curved swords, cutting swords, there was well more than just 1! Where have they gone? :confused:

I'd also like to point out that a friend of mine bought one of those KSW gym bags and it was delivered last week. Before training on Tuesday night, one of the straps broke when he picked it up. LOL.

I still want the gym bag and the rucksack though. They're cool. :Alien:

2. swntzu

swntzu has left MAP for a bit

I asked this in a previous thread and the general consensus was that they display the swords according to what is in stock. In other words, the other swords have run out! :(

I personally particularly like the track suit on Gaya Won. Which brings me to another question :D:

Where can you get one of those red and white special tracksuits that the people who went on the Korea trip wore? And if they are available, how much for?

3. psbn matt

psbn matt great sage = of heaven

there red and blue, and we bought them while we were out there, and i think they cost £35.
    i haven't seen them on the website, but i'm sure if you email H.Q. or Gaya Won asking if they have any left they will sort you out.

4. AirNick

AirNick Valued Member

5. KSW_Martley

KSW_Martley Valued Member

Ah. I hope to buy the $250 aluminium straight sword when I reach 1st dahn.

6. Wolf

Wolf Totalitarian Dictator

The only problem I have is that I want a steel practice sword so that I get one closer to the weight of a cutting sword.

edit: someone posted a link to this one earlier, which I'm looking to buy in a month or so: http://kriscutlery.com/Other/korean.html

edit again: I contacted the Kriscutlery folks and got the full stats on the above listed sword. Here they are...

The blade of the Korean Sword is made of high carbon steel designated as 5160. The blade is sharpened and differentially tempered. It has a full tang and the sword is fully functional. The hardware is made of solid brass. The sword is about 2.4 pounds. This weight is approximate. Since the sword is hand made, no two are exactly alike and there may be a slight variation in the weight of the swords.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2006
  7. Haidong Dave

Haidong Dave Valued Member

8. JTMS

JTMS Valued Member

The is a pretty cool Kuk Sool sword up for auction on e-bay now!

9. KSW CANADA

KSW CANADA Valued Member

10. Out-to-Lunch

Out-to-Lunch Valued Member

THANKS! I am buying one...I just wish it did not have the hand guard...
    --josh

11. kiseki

kiseki beating shadows since '06

I want a metal sword sooo badly, but I am unwilling to pay the money before I know if I can continue to participate past 18 months from now. Also, I need to stop hitting the ground first...

12. GetNtheGame

GetNtheGame New Member

13. CKJNstudent

CKJNstudent Valued Member

WOW!!! That is quite a markup. They do appear to be the same swords.

14. Out-to-Lunch

Out-to-Lunch Valued Member

:Alien: I may have to get the second sword from MAmart too!!!
    Thanks for exposing this!

15. KSWarrior

KSWarrior www.warriorinstitute.com

That sword may look like the one on the Art of the Warrior Website but that is not where we purchase our swords from. There are several other web sites that offer black swords. Our swords are very simular to the swords offered by the WKSA in terms of weight, size, material and durability. I’m not sure what this sword is like on the martial arts mart. Has any one purchased one of their swords...that can comment on the quality?

Last edited: Jun 12, 2007
  16. GetNtheGame

GetNtheGame New Member

Looks like a duck and quacks like a duck. Not sure about the black one - there are a lot of variations of relatively cheap samurai/ninja swords out there - but the Korean sword (Han Kook sword) is identical. If you can point out a single difference (other than a grossly inflated price), I'm all ears.

[Even worse, just found the same sword from Tiger Claw (wholesale price, though) for $44. I would assume Art of the Warrior can get their supply at wholesale or better, so that make a $250 mark-up on a $50 sword].

Here they are again, you compare:
    $300 Art of the Warrior Sword http://artofthewarrior.com/Welcome.html
    $100 Martial Art Mart Sword ($44 wholesale from Tiger Claw) http://www.martialartsmart.net/35-26l.html

"I’m not sure what this sword is like on the martial arts mart. Has any one purchased one of their swords...that can comment on the quality?" So there's a plan . . . buy a $44 sword AND a $300 sword to see if they're the same.

Nothing wrong with making a buck (or even a LOT of bucks -- "There's a sucker born every minute" - P.T. Barnum).

17. KSWarrior

Do you have a website link for Tiger Claw's Wholesale price?

Last edited: Jun 12, 2007
  18. GetNtheGame

GetNtheGame New Member

19. KSWarrior

Thank you, I'm going to check it out!

20. hwarang cl

hwarang cl The Evil Twin

The practice swords are made by SBN Cleo Randall, maybe he has been busy doing other things, maybe running his school perhaps. Also the Korean swords are hand made, sooo it takes awhile to make and to "clear" customs.