Sword Vs. Arrow

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Angelus, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Angelus

Angelus Waiting for summer :D

suicidal...

2. Senban

Senban Banned Banned

I'm only just catching up with this very interesting thread. I noticed earlier that Stolenbjorn mentioned this.

Probably not everyone knows how this would work so here's a photo I took in 2002 of a drawing in the Agincourt visitors' centre showing this idea.

Attached Files:

3. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

MANIWA NEN RYU

Higuchi Sadahiro of the Maniwa Nen Ryu demonstrates arrow deflection. Note that he has dropped his body out of the flight line of the arrow. A major principle in swordsmanship is even while deflecting the swordsman shall align his body outwith the "line of the sword" of the attacker.
    So much is given over to showmanship these days when true masters such as Otake Ritsuke and Higuchi Sadahiro are ignored by many.
    Also the "form" of the girl "firing" the arrows is light years away from the concentration and dignity apparent in true kyudo.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2007
  4. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

Yeah, I mentioned Maniwa Nen-ryu and their yadomejutsu on the first page of this thread. Funny how things form a circle after a while eh?

Now back to Tanaka Fumon. Watch this demonstration below and pay particular attention to his short sword when he starts performing Odachi Batto (Large sword drawing techniques) you'll be in for a surprise. ;)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCjZ_GJz-Hw]Tanaka Fumon & Midori performing Koden Enshin-ryu [/ame]

5. koyo

JUst cannot get the clip to play. Somehow I don't think that I am missing much. From what I have seen of this guy before.I do not like to be disrespectfull but even I can see little power or accuracy in what he does.
    Pitty about the clip. I am sure you were setting me up fpr another growl!!!

regards koyo

6. Kogusoku

Koyo,

Download Macromedia player onto your PC Adobe.com

When you download that program, you should be able to see the youtube clip.

-Steve D

7. koyo

Perfect hand positioning, timing slightly out. MAYBE NEXT TIME.

EDIT Managed to download a little of the clip. YOU WERE DETERMINED THAT I HAD TO SEE IT!!!!!!!
    What a load of tosh!!!! the guy is as effective as an ashtray on a motorbike :cry:

THANKS Koyo

Attached Files:

8. pgsmith

pgsmith Valued dismemberer

I watched that bit several times, but still can't figure out how he managed that. Would have been quite a surprise to an opponent had he meant to do that! :)

9. Kogusoku

Nah, chocolate teapot. :D

10. koyo

MDandy

Seeing your posted picture made me think of the Braveheart movie when the Scots faced the cavalry charge with hand held "spears" like the one shown.Sometime next month 300 shall be released it is about the 300 Spartans at Thermopylae. I think you should check it out.
    Sadly they did not have much luck "knocking arrows out of the air." (but they did get to fight in the shade)

regards koyo

Last edited: Jan 25, 2007
  11. Angelus

Angelus Waiting for summer :D

hmm so what do the poles do again?

12. Stolenbjorn

Stolenbjorn Valued Member

Notice how his hoses are around his ancles... Acording to the sources, the british army was malnourshed and suffering from dycentery; hence the bare legs (and no trousers either...lobbing arrows while you ****; now that's a warrior :cool: )

13. pgsmith

pgsmith Valued dismemberer

They prevent the mounted forces from running you down.

14. ScottUK

ScottUK More human than human...

Oops. Another 't*ts on a bull' moment from Mr Tanaka...

15. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

So who is for telling him we think he sucks then shooting a blunted arrow at him without telling him we just overdrew a 100Lb Longbow ?

16. ScottUK

ScottUK More human than human...

Blunt? I vote bodkin.

17. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

No, the gig would be up too fast :p