sword preferences?

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by themorningstar, Sep 14, 2004.

1. Silentblade

Silentblade Silent Death

There are blades sold in military surpluses, but this one is specifically made for the Force Recon guys.

2. Silentblade

Silentblade Silent Death

A short version of the Ginunting sword I showed you in your PM. :D

3. themorningstar

themorningstar New Member

bayani... thanks for all of you info.. truly appreciated!, one question... what's your sword preference? would it be one of ptk origin? or perhaps something else? concerning ptk, i am familiar only w/ the ginunting/talibong/parang and espading, are there any others or do you favor something wholly opposite? thanks!

4. Crucible

Crucible Valued Member

Are these, the visayan kriss blades, modern inventions?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2004
  5. themorningstar

crucible... after contacting with other collectors and other practicioners, we have a general consensus=" we don't really know... " things that make you go hmmmm...

6. Crucible

Crucible Valued Member

Intresting, so there are antique Visayan kriss's with the pionty tip? hmmmmmm. Anybody have a pic? All this time I thought all these modern kriss replica's and trainers were made by people who had never seen a real Philipine kriss before :rolleyes: Yah think you something.....

7. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

My wife's comapny still gets the sharp sets, both solo blades and espada 'y' daga sets including the Pinute's. So they do still produce the shrap weapons at Doce Pares and if my wife wanted them more ornate, I am sure they would make them for her.

8. Crucible

Crucible Valued Member

Can you PM me a link to your wife's site(if she has one)?

9. Crucible

Crucible Valued Member

Last edited: Sep 16, 2004
  10. Pat OMalley

It is done :)

11. Crucible

Crucible Valued Member

Thanks! :)

12. Silentblade

Silentblade Silent Death

That's the Standard Issue Combat Ginunting of the Philippine Force Recon Marines. That's the one I have that I told you about. :D

I'm not surprised that Mandala Leslie Buck are selling those online since he works with close ties also with the Philippine Marines. Those are not sold to the public here in the Philippines though. You need to be trusted/close friend of the PTK/Philippine Marine head honchos to obtain one, and for a very good reason. My Ginunting even has a Serial Number in it.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2004
  13. themorningstar

thank you for the kind offer guro pat, but unfortunately i am only looking for the really old pinuti/espada y daga set. however i do have the new bound pinuti that you have on you website and while it is quite nice looking and sharp, it does pale in comparison to the older version that dp had made years ago.
    thank you all for your responses..

14. Pat OMalley

No probs, If you can get a picture of what you had, you never know in the near future I may be able to get my wife's company to get it made as her company has just made an exclusive deal with a manufacturer to make some daggers for her and she plans to expand the product line in the future with swords. (Sorry again MAP for the advertising but just trying to help :eek: )

15. Crucible

Crucible Valued Member

This is the first I've heard of barongs being used as a farmering tool. Can someone verify if there is more than one classification of a barong?

16. Bayani

Bayani Valued Member

O.K. Utility tool as in one that used to cut brush, carve out wood, cut and gut animals. very mch like what a bolo is used for.

17. Crucible

Crucible Valued Member

first I've heard of any of these either, I wonder if its a regional variation. I've always gotten the impression that barongs were strictly combat weapons. I could use mine for cutting brush or maybe gutting an animal, but it wouldn't be my first thought with the weapon. I've been taught to have too much regard for it to use it in that manner. I can definetly see it cleaving through flesh and bone but I think it'd get stuck and chiped if it was used to carve and chop wood. Too bad you can't tell us where in Mindanao the blades came from :rolleyes:

18. Bayani

Bayani Valued Member

The blades I saw were taken from the rebels from the area. I would tell you if I knew where exactly but that was not in the discussion. What was told was that it IS used as a utility tool and not just for fighting as they see it worn on other inhabitants of the area who are not rebels thus making it a problem to identify those wearing barongs to fight or those wearing them for protection or to use for cutting whatever. Welcome to the 21st century where things you wear become functional and not just something for battle. If you encounter those ready to dress for battle rest assured you will find guns attached to them. A well made barong will cut wood and small items with ease. Don't we have any bros here form the south to verify this?

19. Crucible

Crucible Valued Member

I definetly agree with this, I've met a few moro's who when asked what the weapon of choice in Mindanao was they said "armalite". By the way, Brother Bayani, I'm not doubting anything your saying. Certainly not doubting the FRbn either, I'm just doubting it matches up with the barongs I've seen and weilded. It might be a modern take on a barong, or maybe a provincial one. I'll do some snooping around and tell you what I come up with.

20. Bayani

Bayani Valued Member

The difference in quality that was shown to me to compare barongs did not focus on the blade but on the intricate carvings found on the handle. Wierd in comparisson to comparing Indonesian Krises where the blade is very much looked at and the handle can easily be replaced. The intricate carvings indicated the attachment these makers had to the blade but that delves into more of the supetnatural beliefs regarding their relation to their blades.