Sword Ban Petition!

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Anth, Feb 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

I'm with you.

The thing that amazes me is there is media headline but no actual details on what the proposed legistations is. So who is briefing the media on the ban? Gone are the days when governments announced legislation to the house of commons and the reports found out from there.

The Bear.

2. elftengu

elftengu Banned Banned

Please also write sensibly and in a restrained manner to:

jonathan.batt@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk

I have written describing the three main types of 'samurai' swords e.g. Cheap wallhangers, Expensive Japanese-made swords (new and antique), and the likes of Paul Chen blades which we all know and love and practice with.

If anyone would like to see my letter please let me know.

3. RAbid Hamster

RAbid Hamster Herr Trubelmacher

Not sure its a good idea to post the guys name in the open like this. There are too many mouthy types about whose idea of being articulate is to limit their swaering to just 'f*cking'. We need to keep the guy onside if he is on our side. Mibi pass it on to just those of us who are good ambassadors?

4. elftengu

elftengu Banned Banned

5. Tim T

Tim T Iam Jacks Smirkng Revenge

so hang on are we supopsed to be handing in our swords then? :confused: cause thats not going to happen :woo:

6. elftengu

elftengu Banned Banned

Don't worry Tim, you can hide yours in the Watford Gap and they'll never find it! :D

7. Taffyleigh

Taffyleigh Valued Member

Banning swords is just stupid, it will be like the gun amnesty, only people who are going to use them for the wrong purposes will have them, because they will get them from the black market, and like knives all the fuss over them, saying to hand them in and there have been more stabbings in the news than there were before, and if you ban samurai swords it will be the first thing all the criminal element will start stockpiling as law abiding people will be getting rid of them.

8. Taffyleigh

Taffyleigh Valued Member

Also samurai swords stick out like a sore thumb when carrying them, whereas a knife will fit in your pocket, so which is most likely to be used by a thug or rapist! Are they going to ban people from havingknives at home, cos its hard work trying to eat steak without one - not that i have it very often, sadly.

9. Tim T

does this ban only inlcude katanas then or will it include broadswords and butterfly swords? cause we need these swords to grade in Kungfu? or am i destined never to progress further than brown sash? :confused:

10. RAbid Hamster

RAbid Hamster Herr Trubelmacher

the final legislation will need to be looked at but it should only be wallhanging katanas that are affected ... however having seen what the police try to call terrorist activity to allow the use of terrorism laws, it will probably take a couple of test cases before things settle down.

11. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

This is the thing we haven't even seen the proposed legislation!

The Bear.

12. Stolenbjorn

Stolenbjorn Valued Member

Not exactly sword, but a picture that illustrates the norwegians police's take on weapon in public spaces. They are allowed to confiscate anything they like, depending on the situation, but in most cases (unless the weilder is a total idiot) this picture gives a fair illustration of the averidge outcome of an encounter between historical weapongroups in Norway and Police:
    http://forum.blankvaapen.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=90&stc=1&d=1199723955

13. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

New Sword Ban Petition Underway

A new petition to the UK Government is underway at present, started by a member of the Chinese swordsmanship community, since apparently gim, jian and dao are also subject to banning as well as nihonto.

The wording and spelling could be better, but it's better than nothing.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/banonsords/#detail

Since this has bearing on CSA, JSA and WSA, I think it might be a good last-ditch effort to sign.

You can also in a polite and eloquent manner, contact Mr. Jonathan Batt at the Home Office at jonathan.batt@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk

I wonder if we at MAP training in JSA, CSA and WSA could possibly formulate our own petition. It could be flogging a dead horse, but it beats the hell out of apathy.

Regards,

S. Delaney

14. ScottUK

ScottUK More human than human...

Steve,

As I told you my opinion last night on the blower, we can petition all we like but ultimately all the powers-that-be will do is whatever they want. The big orgs are creating loopholes for MA practitioners etc so that might be good enough in my eyes (FWIW!).

Want to make a difference?

Give Mr Batt a call (or better still arrange an appointment seeing as you are in the neighbourhood) and ask him to view a presentation of JSA at an appropriate venue near him. He'd go for it as it will make him look like the willing sympathiser and it would give us a chance to try and get someone on our side.

If you are interested, I'll help out along with a few of my guys.

His office:

Jonathan Batt
    Offensive Weapons section
    Home Office
    5th Floor Fry,
    2 Marsham Street
    London
    SW1P 4DF

Speak to you soon matey.

15. Tim T

some confusion here, has the ban already started or isit due to start in april?

16. ScottUK

...and will we even notice?

17. Bigshot

Bigshot And im all outta gum!

Dont expect a lot , it took us (airsofters) Best part of a year to gain an exemption in the VCRA (violent crime reduction act).
    (http://wiki.airsoftcommunity.co.uk/ for info on airsoft so you know what im on about)

More info is avilable on the forum but you have to become a member to view it.

Ill try and find the date it comes in as the airsoft community were also interested in this and im sure there is a post somewhere with the details.

With the VCRA Different parts came in at different times, if the sword ban mimics this (highly likely) you may still be able to buy swords if you hurry. Due to this you probably wont notice as there wont likely be a definate date when the whole thing comes into effect, more a collection of dates when certain parts of the ban come into action.

The airsoft situation is very similar to yours (i.e. replica guns not swords)
    So if anyone is thinking of opposing this ban it may help to become a member of the airsoft forum and look as how we as a community fought the ban.

In a nutshell we found that its the retailers that have the power, so if the ban is to be opposed youll probably be relying on the retailers to band together as they seem to carry more weight than the community. However as a community here we can (as was done with airsoft) band together and pressure the UK retailers into doing something as opposed to just hanging up their boots.

Hope that was reltively informative, i apolgise for gash spelling in advance, i have a new kwyboard and keep hitting wrong keys.

Phill

Last edited: Feb 19, 2008
  18. Smokemare

Smokemare ITF TKD 2nd Dan

How does this affect people who want to train in the likes of Kendo, Kejutsu, Iado, Haidong Kumdo and what not?

I can't believe this has happened - it's just stupid. What happened with knives? Peope were wandering around attacking each other with lock knives and flick knives and so on - now they use kitchen kives, which you can't ban...

The same as guns - the sort of guns that were useful to criminals, automatic handguns, revolvers, etc - were already illegal and banning the legal sort just irritated people.

The British Government seems totally unable to grasp the simple concept that they need to disincentive criminals, rather than take away their means. I mean, you can very effectively kill someone with a broken bottle or a claw hammer?

I totally despair at how short-sighted and futile this piece of legislation is. I can only assume our government is completely stupid - or is trying to gain political acumen through the media by making a faux positive gesture against violent crime even though there isn't a cat in hells chance of it actually affecting violent crime levels.

19. ScottUK

This was ages ago. It has affected us not one bit.

20. Smokemare

Smokemare ITF TKD 2nd Dan

Good, I really want to learn Haidong Kumdo - I'm waiting for a club to start in my area :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.