Sword Arts

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by JediMasterChris, May 30, 2003.

1. JediMasterChris

JediMasterChris Columbo

Hey, I was just wondering if there are any arts that are strictly sword arts besides Kendo,Iaido, Iaijutsu,or Kenjutsu?

I read somewhere that there were some Filipino arts that were supposed to be alot like Kendo, I was just wondering if anybody knew of any.:confused:

2. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

if you want stricly sword then its those and modern sport fencing

actuall swordsmanship involves close quarter grapppling as you might get to close to use your sword effectively

3. JediMasterChris

JediMasterChris Columbo

Yeah, I have been doing kendo since I was seven, I was just interested in learning something a little different.

4. Cudgel

well you can look for eruopean sword arts. I dont know if there are any who practice it in South Africa but you can always do a search or *gasp* try top learn some from a book. But if you can find a group taht teaches more than just the sword and includes various other weapons and cloes quarter grappling while holding weapons.

Or if you cant you can always look for SCA in the area.

5. JediMasterChris

JediMasterChris Columbo

I don't live in SA anymore though, I will do a google search, I guess I will just stick with Kendo, it's the most fun arrt I've done and I don't really have a reason to quit.

6. Cudgel

welll there is SCA in Indiana as well as other groups some better and some worse than SCA

try www.haca.com
    its the ARMA site a very good group

7. JediMasterChris

JediMasterChris Columbo

Thanks for the URL.

8. Cudgel

9. JediMasterChris

JediMasterChris Columbo

Thanks, but I already know where allt he swords arts are here now... and I don't have time to add any more.

10. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Korea has it's own sword art. The Korean language doesn't distinguish between the English K and G sounds so I've seen various spellings: komdo, kumdo, gomdo, gumdo. Some people say it's quite similar to Japanese kendo/kenjutsu, and some people say it's substantially different. I've never done either so I don't know.

11. JediMasterChris

JediMasterChris Columbo

It isn't like Kenjutsu, but Kumdo is nearly identical to Kendo, I didn't notice any differences but I noticed in Kumdo people seemed to advance faster...

I have done research on sword arts since I posted this and I've read about alot more.

12. Cudgel

so what have you found out from your research?
    Inquiring minds want to know.

13. deCadena

deCadena New Member

kali is a blade oriented art of the philippines. though a lot of people use the terms escrima and arnis with kali, a lot of practitioners maintain the term kali to refer to their art as blade oriented though sticks are used to train such movements with the blade.