Switching from TABG to Cobras?

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by LapsangSouchong, Jan 22, 2014.

1. LapsangSouchong

LapsangSouchong One lump or two?

Irony. :evil:

2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

They grade with people of similar size, so contact levels are governed by that really, outside of the semi contact definition of course.

Mitch

3. StuartA

StuartA Guardian of real TKD :-)

Another difference then :evil:

lol :yeleyes:

4. Mitch

Nope. Adult groups are roughly organised by size too.

Mitch

5. Mitch

I don't know how much SJA charge to run courses for groups, but if I factor up from the cost I paid to attend a general one it would be a significant, even for a decent sized club.

If you are making individuals pay for it, you're opening yourself up to complaints about adding on expenses which are not core to what you're teaching.

Mitch

6. StuartA

Still different contact levels though! And lets hope they never get attacked by someone bigger than them, then lol :eek:

7. Mitch

Obviously kids have different contact levels, I don't really see your point. Every combat sport has weight divisions for exactly that reason.

Certainly the gradings I've observed have been similar or harder contact than in your video.

As for getting attacked by bigger people, they will spar larger people in class regularly, but we wouldn't be confusing semi contact sparring with self defence anyway, now would we? :)

Mitch

8. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

It's a semi contact art? Chances are most of the black belt kids are more than capable of mixing it if its a sparring based club.
    Same might be said for women? Could we give them a black belt with a pink stripe?

9. Moi

Not so sure on the contact levels just the ability to deliver power like an adult? In a semi contact art it's a mute point?
    I don't see why the lack of breaking doesn't make it an automatic junior but at the end of the day it doesn't really matter?

10. Mitch

You can tell whether it's a junior belt by the waist it's wrapped round :D

Mine seems to be an increasingly short belt :(

Mitch

11. Moi

I'm older than you and have a 28" waist!
    Got up to a 30" a couple of years ago!
    Starting again soon, gym, club everything.
    Least I can get there in 10 minutes now :)

12. StuartA

My bad. Thought Taekwon-Do was a martial art, as opposed to a 'combat sport' - if its just a sport, sure.. well, maybe! So a TAGB BB should be considered a black belt in sport then perhaps? ;-)

I think the TAGB are fine sparrers - my simple point was that there IS a difference between the adults and the kids in a few ways. I`m happy for lighter contact for kids.. its just equalling it all out I find unappealing ie. find a similar weight/size as opposed to just let them get on with it and see how they deal/cope!

Well, that was a joke, but for me, 'light continuous' is the sport side - something we grade as well, I simply expect kids to be able to cope with different size opponents, who have varying levels of contact (all within safety concerns of course).

Stuart

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  13. StuartA

It is? I think you`ll find the sport side is the 'semi-contact' bit - its not the art itself!

Sure - my ONLY point was that there are differences between an adult BB grading and a junior one - thats all!

Sorry - I don't get your point. Are you saying that women get an easier grading than men in the TAGB (or in general)?

Stuart

14. Moi

I'm wondering where the BB line is drawn? Men, woman and children are all treated differently in martial arts because they are different. Doesn't devalue what they do, the belt should stand for they did their best

As for differences of contact, age and sex mean less across the different arts. What's too much in one art isn't even starting in another?

15. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I'd rather they paid for something like a first aid course than a set of equipment that can only be bought through the club/association or a shiny new BB specific dobok.
    At least some basic first aid knowledge is useful which can't be said for loads of korean terminology or pattern meanings (although I wouldn't do away with that either).
    A first aid course may not be core to what's being taught but it's absolutely related surely?
    I think so long as it was a well known component of the BB grading, flagged up as an expense from the start (albeit one that would be 4-5 years down the line from white belt), backed up by a rationale of why I thought it was a valid thing for a BB to obtain and not used as as way to get more cash out of people it's a laudable thing to include.

16. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Aren't there other links in martial arts with "healing"?
    Chinese martial artists being bone setters and the like?
    Ju Jutsu practitioners learning katsu?

17. Mitch

I largely agree, but I'm putting the sorts of arguments many would. :)

Mitch

18. Mitch

Most TKD sparring is a sport, the rest of it makes it a martial art :)

My point is that the syllabus is the same except for breaking. The organisational differences might be because TAGB have to grade a lot more BBs than you do? ;)

Mitch

19. TKDDragon

TKDDragon Valued Member

This is actually starting to circle back to some fundamental issues in an earlier thread I started on Black Belt Testing Criteria.
    http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119593

[quote/] I'm wondering where the BB line is drawn? Men, woman and children are all treated differently in martial arts because they are different. Doesn't devalue what they do, the belt should stand for they did their best [/quote]
    Just my thoughts on this:
    Does trying your "best" earn you and black belt and in many cases the capability to eventually teach?
    Do we want their potential students perfectly performing flawed techniques they are taught by someone who tried their best?

20. StuartA

They may be now a days, but I don't know of any martial art that was designed with children in mind! Is it not the big, 'todays' organisations that stipulate things should be 'oh so different' for kids? Take that Shaolin video posted earlier, did they have a kids program or are they just that good cos they did the same stuff the adults do? I disagree with your last comment - does a person get a PHD or a Doctorate cos they did their best or because they fulfilled a certain level of criteria? To me its the latter.. I know for others they see it different, but thats what a BB means to me.

My concerns about producing martial artists as an instructor differs a bit from orgs (but thats a different discussion) - whilst we hold safety for youngsters in high regards at gradings and in class - a Jnr Dan grading is still a rough affair - adult gradings are worse, whether male of female. To me, the bottom line is we are producing martial artists, young, old, male, female and to the majority of the world Black Belt is a 'badge' for what a martial art is to many - therefore the grading (and training) should live up to that. As PASmith said earlier, there are many facets to it - its not just a few good patterns and some sport sparring with flashy kicks - its the smaller things like going on when your body says no, pushing past pain barriers, picking yourself up from the floor after a hard kick has taken the wind out of you, fighting the guy that you`d never chose yourself etc. etc. If its all laid out to be 'so so' 'nice and easy', its less of a test of spirit, which to me, is a big part of a Dan grading and the arts themselves.

Stuart