Switching from TABG to Cobras?

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by LapsangSouchong, Jan 22, 2014.

1. LapsangSouchong

LapsangSouchong One lump or two?

Hello TKD'ers,

I'm here asking a question for my friend.

His son is 9 years old, and is due to take his black belt in 3 months - he trains in a club under the T.A.G.B. However... the instructor is moving to another TKD group called Cobra (or Cobras) and my friend has some concerns - and some questions as follows:

1. What's the difference in standard/recognition between the 2 groups
    2. Would a black belt under Cobra/Cobras be respected

My friend could move to a different teacher, slightly further away to remain under the T.A.G.B umbrella - but there are benefits (of convenience) to stay at the same club.

What would be your thoughts on this?

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

If his son is nine then any blackbelt he gets won't be respected.

3. LapsangSouchong

Are you suggesting you're tougher than a 9 year old?!

Anyway's - I'm sure others get what I'm asking...

My friend's concern is to make the best choice.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  4. Pretty In Pink

Oh I understand what you were talking about, I'm just trying to point out that this kid is going to a really expensive daycare. As for whether or not another school will honour his blackbelt, that depends on the quality of the TKD school. If they are any good I'm sure they won't :)

5. LapsangSouchong

Are you saying that kids don't learn anything at martial arts training?

I've done a little bit of practice with him, when I've been over to the house - his form is good and he's got really gutsy defense, so I'd have to question you on that.

As for whether the belt will be interchangeable - yeah it's a consideration, and I think you're likely right - but what I'm really asking, is what I asked originally...

i.e. For anyone with insight on Cobra(s) and T.A.G.B. - As a comparison of standards and recognition in the TKD community... How that is?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  6. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Chadderz is 23 and therefore knows everything. No child ever learnt anything of any value in a martial arts class, obviously :)

The Cobra group I know of is a general kickboxing style rather than a TKD style, so your friend's son would not earn a black belt in TKD, it would be in generic kickboxing, as far as I am aware.

As for the comparative merits of the groups, well, it depends on what you're after, but primarily on the Instructor in the class. Will your friend's son get more of what he wants at Cobra or with another TAGB Instructor?

I'm a TAGB Instructor, so feel free to PM me with details if you want more info :)

Mitch

7. Mitch

Nonsense.

Firstly, the child is getting all the benefits of taking part in an active sport. These are hopefully forming habits for life, the benefits of which are obvious.

Secondly, he's getting to understand the discipline and self-control that any sport can offer, particularly one with the trappings of most TMA.

Thirdly he's learning basic combative movements. How he applies them at 9 is obviously going to be different o how he applies them when he's older, but he's gaining a familiarity and facility with a range of strikes.

Fourthly he's got the chance of competing on a potentially big stage with high level peers from all over the country on a regular basis. The benefits in terms of character and development are obvious.

Fifthly, he's experiencing a social/training environment outside his family and home where he has to work co-operatively and with care for the safety of a range of potentially very different people around him.

Sixthly, do you know the price of daycare? :D

I could go on, but you get the point. Yes, these benefits could be gained from many arts and many other sporting endeavours, but they should not be dismissed because they're valuable regardless of source and should not be cynically denigrated because of the art or age of the student.

Mitch

8. LapsangSouchong

Thanks for the insight Mitch, and for your kind offer of further assistance.

I will send my friend a link to this thread and see if he wants me to send you a message.

9. LapsangSouchong

We think this is the Cobras group:
    http://www.cobrastaekwondo.com/

I think the confusion over Kick-boxing might be, they seem to have 2 distinct offerings:

1. Cobras Taekwondo
    2. Vipers Kickboxing

10. Mitch

You're welcome :)

The best bet is for your friend to first scout and then take his son along to both classes. The TAGB class might be the best in the world, but if the boy doesn't like the atmosphere, there's no point switching because he won't keep training.

I obviously have a vested interest in some ways, but honestly I think the best outcome is a happy kid continuing training and enjoying himself whilst getting quality tuition. Realistically that can occur both inside and outside the TAGB so advise them to do their research and go to whichever suits best.

Please do get in touch if I can be of anymore help though :)

Mitch

11. Mitch

Ah, OK, the Cobra group I'm thinking of is another group entirely, who are a kickboxing group rather than TKD.

These guys look like a small TKD organisation with only a few clubs. They may be great, they may not, I don't know of them directly so can't say.

If you have a look at the map here you can see all the local TAGB clubs for any given area. That gives you an idea of what else may be in the area :)

Mitch

12. Heraclius

Heraclius BASILEVS Supporter

If the instructor is the same the standards shouldn't lower. Most likely the change won't have any impact on the quality/content of the lessons. He'll teach what he knows and that's not going to change.

Concerning the other points, I wouldn't worry about that, especially for a 9 year old. As long as your friend and his son are satisfyed with what he's learning the rest is just window dressing.

If your friend is really concerned about any of these points he should probably ask the instructor directly. Or check out nearby TAGB classes and see how they compare.

13. LapsangSouchong

Great insight Heraclius - thanks for sharing.

I'll be sure to pass your sentiments on to my friend :)

14. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

That's what I thought. If the class is £5-£6 then it's probably cheaper than equivalent daycare!

My 2 pence...I'd say continue with the TAGB at least until he gets his blackbelt and then see about other options.
    I don't agree with children of nine getting BB's but if that option is available it will stand him in good stead to get one from such a large and well established org as the TAGB.
    I got my TAGB BB about 15 years ago, left TKD for those years (but still trained other things) but still was able to get back into TKD as a BB because my new instructor (ex TAGB himself) recognised my grade.
    The grade from "cobras" could very well be more comprehensive, more pragmatic, useful etc but won't carry anywhere the same "weight" as the TAGB one. Especially outside of the local area.

15. StuartA

StuartA Guardian of real TKD :-)

If you are thinking of the CMAA (often referred to as Cobra) they are a multi-styled organisation, similar to many others in this regards (such as the AMA), but much better ran. They are not a 'kick boxing group' but have everything thing from Karate to Kung-Fu to Taekwon-do under them. They have syllabus's for various styles if needed AFAIA, but when a group/club joins, they can run their own/current syllabus without interference.

This is not the 'Cobras Taekwondo' mention in the OP - I've never heard of them so can't be of any help there, but just wanted to clear up that misconception :)

Stuart

16. Pretty In Pink

I didn't say any of those things! There is high value in a martial arts class. I bet those belts aren't free though. Should have done judo.

Also

Old =\= right or knowledgable in the same way youth =\= ignorant.

17. Mitch

You may have missed the smiley :)

So what's your problem? You equated his time spent training to "expensive daycare." I've given a list of (just some of) the reasons why it isn't.

Of course his training isn't free, how many MA classes are?

Does your whole point just boil down to he should have done judo not TKD?

In which case how helpful is that to the OP?

Mitch

18. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

You've misunderstood him.

19. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

I'm another to this he might as well continue to BB with the TAGB then decide. He's work hard (I hope) towards this and it'll be a shame for him not to get it?
    Also make sure he gets a say, the biggest :)

20. Mitch

I think that's the key :)

Mitch