Switch Kick Help

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by Alienfish360, Jul 9, 2014.

1. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

Also to be fair to us both, I'm not doing Muay Thai, even if it may be close, so some things will be different... I think it's a great art though.

2. Alienfish360

Alienfish360 Valued Member

Thanks for all the advice all.

I don't think I provided enough info. It isn't the switch or the kick itself that is causing me issue, but the balance issue, trying to train myself to come back out to southpaw (to allow consecutive kicks for example) I am losing balance.

Did more work on this in class, and adjusting my angles with opponent etc, and it improved. I am looking really for drills and exercises I can do at home, where I have no pads.

3. Alienfish360

Alienfish360 Valued Member

My instructors point is that if this is a habit, then there's a chance of landing in orthodox and closing up the distance, and possibly stepping straight into an elbow for example.

However, it is obviously useful at times, but the ability to go back to Southpaw is important too and that is what I am struggling with, the return to southpaw.

4. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Then just stand in southpaw, execute the kick, and return to southpaw. Keep practicing like that until balance isn't a problem.

Make sure you are getting up on the ball of your foot and pivoting when you kick as well so you get proper rotation as not doing so can cause balance issues (and injury).

5. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

And if you throw a jab you might get countered. Its a risk throwing anything.

If its a specific technique you have trouble with, especially with balance. Then its just down to practice practice practice.

That includes being on the bag, padwork and use of it in light sparring.

6. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

In combat sports the objective is always to hit and try not to get hit, however as said, that's a risk that you take. You have to get back into guard position as fast as possible, that's more important than even throwing your own punches, kicks, etc. My issue was that I was trying to hard to open up with bigger punches when I started sparring, but remember that it's the shot you don't see coming that is the one that hurts you. Guys who stand there and take big punches or whatever else are one thing... idiots, and, if they continue to do so will wind up vegetables. Move in, hit and move out to one side or the other, don't back straight up, pivot a lot, get them confused at where you are, or where you will wind up after 2 or 3 shots.

You just have to keep practicing man, it's not supposed to be easy... people are in a sport most would consider "simple" compared to other MA's, but the problems go far beyond the simple "don't get hit" thing. There are angles upon angles, there's defense that is just as important as offense and maybe even more so... without getting into a combat sport I would have never imagined how using 8 limbs would be so hard to defend against and not have any idea where the hell some of the punches or kicks came from lol... it was like out of nowhere they were raining down on me.