sweating:sauna

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by bigd, Jan 31, 2005.

1. bigd

bigd New Member

does a sauna really help shed pounds,or is it a waste a time,any info thanks

2. toothpaste100

toothpaste100 Banned In 60 Seconds

All the weight one loses in a sauna is water and this water loss can weaken your dramatically; although I hear saunas can boost your metabolism for several hours but it doesn't sound like a great trade-off for someone who is active and needs that energy.

3. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

toothpaste said it...
    corny name for a Maist dude :p
    -TkdWarrior-

4. ninjamonkey

ninjamonkey New Member

Other people will probably give you a more detailed and meaningful answer, but I think I'm correct in saying the a sauna just dehydrates you, takes water out of your body. Your body's mostly made up of water so you're bound to lose a few kg or pounds initially, but this weight will just come back as soon as you rehydrate yourself with some water. At least that's the way I've come to understand it. You want to lose weight for good, jog your way out of that sauna and around the block, or somethin :D

5. ninjamonkey

ninjamonkey New Member

wow, two people replied whilst I was typing my reply! :D :D

6. Coges

Coges Valued Member

In my limited understanding all the sauna does is reduce the amount of water in your body through all that profuse sweating that you would experience. Therefore, less water equals less weight on the scale. Only problem with this is that when you dive for the drink bottle to quench your thirst you're going to be adding those fluids back into your system.

The sauna does have other benefits but not too sure of the effectiveness as far as weight loss goes.

** How do you guys type so fast. I was only on for a minute and already like five people had replied.**

7. toothpaste100

The secret is to reply first and then make sure your post makes sense later through editing :D

8. bigd

bigd New Member

thanks for the replies

thats what i thought, if you lose water weight,you just gain it right back
    so basically in my understanding it's a quick fix.

maby you want to lose that 10 pounds real quick,for a family reunion,or some sort.

if im correct

9. toothpaste100

Usually so you can drop a weight class in boxing, wrestling, or MMA and be able to throw those lightweights around. I'm not sure if that water loss will even make much of a visible difference, although there is quite a good deal of water stored in the skin.

10. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

how much time do you need to say
    "X guy said it :p"
    -TkdWarrior-

11. Eero

Eero Valued Member

Sauna does not help you to lose weight but I find it very relaxing after a heavy workout. Just remember to drink enough water.

12. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Its not a good solution to losing weight. But it does help one relax and also is good for the skin. Cleans all that nasty stuff out of your pores.

13. DJHalliB

DJHalliB R3g1st3r3d Uzer

The sauna does help you to reduce weight. A sauna burns about the same calories per unit of time as a brisk walk, so were not talking about a pound per session here, but still, its something.

Of course, the water loss is just temporary and is not the weight loss I'm referring to.

A sauna is also a good recovery tool when done properly (The proper way is to go in and heat up, then get out for a really cold shower wash and repeat, theres more to it, but just buy a book :). It also boosts metabolism temporarily which helps clean out toxins (the body basically shows the same effect as having a high temperature through sickness in that it tries to boost its healing powers). Also, the hightened sweating further helps to clean out the skin from the inside.

So for weight loss only? Nah, not worth it. But if you have access to a sauna the weight loss (minor as it is) is just another benefit to add to the heap.