Sweating & Hearing Aids

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by Iron Warrior, Sep 14, 2005.

1. Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior New Member

Hello.

I just went to Fairtex in San Francisco, and I took an intro lesson. If you want to, you can read about that here, but I have something else to ask…

I was sweating pretty heavily (due to the fact that I’m so out of shape), and my hearing aids got wet, and started making these little “static” noises. This isn’t the first time this has happened. I sweat, my hearing aids get wet, and I can’t hear anything over the static being directed into my ears. It really sucks.

So I was just wondering, does anyone else experience this problem? I have two Widex digital hearing aids. They are pretty old… 4 years old? They’ve both been something close to refurbished, I suppose.

If this happens to other people, how do you stop it? Do you just not wear them? I know I’d miss a lot of what’s going around, unless I had an interpreter or the instructor was talking right to me.

Well, I’m just looking for a way to wear hearing aids and sweat at the same time. If you have any ideas, please post them. The only dumb comment is a comment not made. :D

2. Holy Knight

Holy Knight New Member

I wear two hearing aids, but have always taken them out, even for a light exercise. This is because the sweat is humidity that can potentialy damage the hearing aids. I would highly recommend that you take them out, unless you don't really care about them ( which does not seem to be the case ).

So, no, there is no way to stop the static while doing exercises and are a sign that your sweat is damaging them.

3. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

The one I wear makes my ear itch when I'm sweaty. But no noise.

4. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

jeez,

I now feel like heel for complaining when I have to train hard.
    And both of my ears work fine...

*mental note to self... keep my gob shut when having to train hard and count my blessing instead*

5. UGFighter

UGFighter Valued Member

Take a towel and wipe behind your ear inbetween rounds, etc.

Or take it out when you're just skipping, doing drills, etc.

6. Ceicei

Ceicei Knowledge Seeker

hearing aid

I wear mine when I train in Kenpo. I suppose it may be because the aid doesn't get that wet with my semi-long hair. However, when I did Judo last year, I took it off for grappling on the mat. I will soon be taking up Jujitsu in October, so I will likely take it off too. The nice thing is my Jujitsu instructor knows sign language, so that helps.

- Ceicei

7. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

You were lucky there Ceicei. How did you find out about this instructor? Were you recommended to him by some one or an organisation? How does he know sign language?

8. Ceicei

Ceicei Knowledge Seeker

Well, I had stopped training with Judo last year and was looking for another Judo school. I couldn't find one, so I decided to look in the phone book for a Japanese JuJitsu school instead. The JuJitsu instructor's wife knew sign language and they have deaf friends. He learned signing from her.

The important thing is he knew how to teach. I picked that school.

I still train with my primary art, Kenpo.

- Ceicei