Suwari waza pain

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by Cascades, Mar 23, 2014.

1. Cascades

Cascades New Member

Hey,

I just started attending Aikido sessions. I have literally gone to one, 2 hour session. When kneeling in suwari waza i tend to feel an aching pain in front of my lower leg, and on the inside of my knee. I plan on talking to my sensei soon but was wondering what you lovely people thought it could be and what i could do about it?

Thanks
    George

P.S. I am in good health (not insanely fit but nothing wrong with me), am 15 and have had no pain like this before.

2. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

First off, welcome to MAP, hope you like it here :)

How long does it take for you to feel the pain in your leg once you start kneeling, is it immediate, is there a short delay (etc)? The pain down the front of your lower leg, are we talking about just above the foot/lower shin area or just below the kneecap, etc?

I'm wondering if the seiza/kneeling position with the weight distribution might be pulling your tendon/ligament (I can never remember which is which) a little actually. It would explain the pain down the side of the knee.

3. Cascades

Cascades New Member

Thanks for the quick reply :) . The pain starts after a few milliseconds and intensifies the longer i hold it. In hindsight the pain is more in the underside of my knee i think and not so much on my lower leg.

Do you think this is because it's an unnatural position for me and will hurt less the more i perform it?