Surprise main event for Elite XC

Discussion in 'Fight Discussions' started by callsignfuzzy, Sep 25, 2008.

1. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

Arlovski-Nelson on joint Affliction-EXC CBS card

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/arlovski-nelson-tapped-for-cbs-14524

Arlovski was set to fight Barnett on Oct 11 on an Affliction card that got pushed back to January, but he's fighting Roy Nelson, who was the only man to hold the IFL's heavyweight title. What got my attention, though, is that this card was going to be a joint promotion between Elite XC and Affliction. Affliction has also been in talks with Oscar De La Hoya's Goldenboy Productions. It looks like these companies are trying to take a serious shot at the UFC's dominance. Having Arlovski on an EXC card is a great way to promote him for Affliction's next card, assuming he can get by Nelson.

2. SgtGF

SgtGF Part time lurker

What's your take on this fight callsign? I'm thinking Arlovski, but I just haven't seen much of Nelson to make a really informed prediction (if you can have one in MMA).

3. callsignfuzzy

My feeling is that Arlovski's boxing and athleticism will probably carry him to the win, although his chin has proven to be a bit weak in the past. Nelson's a tough bugger, but I think Andrei can still KO him.

4. Flinty

Flinty aspiring nak muay

All this hype over kimbo and shamrock, and the fight doesnt happen due to shamrock with an injury or w/e (?). So seth petruzelli, somebody ive never heard of, hops in and gets some nice shots in and pulls out a win. But supposedly there is controversy that this was all set up a while ago on petruzellis myspace or something... im just glad kimbo lost because he was quickly being made out to be something he wasnt, and now thats pretty much tarnished

Last edited: Oct 5, 2008
  5. callsignfuzzy

Please don't post spoilers, or post that reveal the outcome of an event, until 24 hours after said event. When needed, use spoiler tags.

6. Flinty

Flinty aspiring nak muay

i apologize, i had no clue about the 24 hour rule thing. common sense fail on my part lol
    delete thread if need be.

7. callsignfuzzy

Nah, it's all gravy. Seems a lot of people forget about spoilers and such, so I figured a reminder on a newly-minted thread was probably due.

I was disappointed the other fight was scrapped. Both Ken and Kimbo seemed upset at the situation, although initially I wondered if Ken's camp did it deliberately in order to save him from what would probably have been a beat-down. I also figured Seth might stand a better chance of winning, since he's such a diverse striker, but I was surprised at how that fight went down. I mean, give Petruzelli credit, he dropped Kimbo with that punch, but the next two shots were clearly on the back of the head. I'm not sure how much it would have effected the fight, though. Kimbo looked pretty stunned, and Seth is much better on the ground than he is

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2008
  8. powerbomb

powerbomb New Member

Kimbo [Spoilers]

Kimbo was just KO'd in his fight with Shamrock's last minute replacement Seth Petruzelli! I was rooting for the underdog mostly since I'm not such a huge Kimbo Slice fan. But wow, what a shock. Seth Petruzelli was notified last minute and really stepped up. Good for him

9. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Seth owned him. For someone as pompous as kimbo, I thought it was great for him to give some props to Seth after the fight.

10. powerbomb

powerbomb New Member

Yeah i thought that too. Kimbo just knew he was still getting paid.

11. powerbomb

powerbomb New Member

[​IMG]

12. Boondoc_Saint

Boondoc_Saint Valued Member

the myth is dead he goes out not with a bang but a whimper i think this actually might be good for kimbo i mean he was under alot of pressure to perform now mabey he can relax and just work on getting better if he come back with even more determination he might evolve into an actual legitimate fighter not just a sideshow

13. callsignfuzzy

Once again, people, do not post the results of a show until 24 hours after the show has ended! This includes all posts that imply what the results were. If fighter B looses, you can't have a post that says, "Fighter B should move down in weight after last night" or something. Look, the only real job I have here is making sure spoilers don't get posted, and y'all have done a bang-up job keeping me busy in the past month or so. I think I've been pretty patient so far, but this is starting to get out of control.

Pertinent information about spoilers and how to create spoiler tags may be found here:

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53742