Supreme grandmaster in taekwondo?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by BoxBabaX, Dec 8, 2004.

1. oni_sensei

oni_sensei Valued Member

There aren't that many ITF Grandmasters around these days, NeonxBurst. It seems to be a very hard rank to rise to, although 7th-8th Dans are much more plentiful.

2. NRees

NRees Taekwon-Do II Degree

Thomas, from my understanding there are only a handful (maybe 5 or 6) ITF promoted IXth Degrees. Even the president of the ITF, Master Choi,Jung Hwa has yet to accept the rank of Grand Master.

Below is a link to a list of VIIth and VIIIth Degrees.
    http://www.itf-online.com/masters.htm

3. NRees

This is because after reaching VIth Degree, you don't have formal gradings. Rank is achieved by what you contribute to the art. I'm not quite sure how this works exactly, but this is how I understand it.

4. BoxBabaX

BoxBabaX H+F Baba ^^

my tkd org is WTF.

5. iain radford

iain radford taekwondododo

:) last saturday i trained under grandmaster park soo nam who is a 9th dan.he's a very witty bloke and i look forward to training again with him!

6. Gautama

Gautama New Member

Hi there no there isnt such a thing as a supreme grandmaster, The 9th degree was awarded to General Choi Hong Hi for his achievements and sacrifice for TaeKwon Do.
    The 9th degree as i am told is only given once a person has died.

7. BlackDragon

BlackDragon New Member

I that that title is for the men and women that created that art ( 10th dan's)
    In korean it would be do jo nim, in japanese it is soke.
    Beside it should not matter, if the title is great grandmaster butt-head of the world. It is more about the time you put into the art than some cloth around your stomach. And there are 9th dans out in the W.T.F. The man who is teaching me Hoi Jeon Moo Soo( hapkido)(also an 8th dan) is a ninth dan in
    W.T.F. but Supreme Grandmaster is not his title, it is just Grand Master as far as I know.
    Hope this helps

Last edited: Dec 21, 2004
  8. NRees

I would like to know where you get your information from, it seems to contradict everything I've ever read. True there is no "supreme grandmaster", the highest 'rank' was given to General Choi,Hong Hi. He was named "The Founder", this came about because the other Grand Masters showed such humility thet they would not share the same rank as the General. This is why General Choi was never made a Grand Master.

9. ninjas-r-us

ninjas-r-us I sit under your tea

i was always told that you had to be born into a certian Korean family or pull a bruce lee (bring style into another country and make a frenzy about it) to be awarded 10th degree, now i know that Master is a huge honnor in and of its self, but GRAND master?!! 219 in the WORLD 219 out of 3.5 BILLION that sounds pretty difficult to join. I only know of one grand master (GM Unge) who brought tkd to the north west of america....now please correct me if my facts are scuued

10. BoxBabaX

BoxBabaX H+F Baba ^^

well i PERSONALLY know a grandmaster in the WTF, who is actively practicing here in San Diego, California. Not sure if you meant that there is only 1 here in the US, or something, but yeah.

11. NRees

But how many of those 3.5 billion people practice Taekwon-Do, and how many of those practice under the kukkiwon?

12. OBCT

OBCT New Member

I'm a supreme being on kazaa, so i can tell you to be a true supreme grandmaster, you have to do this...

1. Change yor name to one of the following :
    a:Florence Ballard
    b: Scherrie Payne
    c: Diana Ross
    d: Susaye Green
    e: Lynda Laurence
    f: Mary Wilson
    g:Cindy Birdsong
    h: Jean Terrell

Congratulations you are now Supreme.

2. Attain Master status (either enter a S&M forum or train real hard for a long time)

Congratulations you are now a Supreme Master

3. Have children who have children (become a grandparent, and train asiad grandchildren up to Master status.

Congratulations you are now a Supreme Grand Master.

13. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

:D Thanks foir making me bust a gut laughing :D

14. Andy Cap

Andy Cap Valued Member

Buwaaahaaahaa My wife and I run around the house saying crap like that because our old instructor went from 6th dan to 8th dan in the course of 3 years, and adopted the title of grandmaster. We call him "Super Duper Gandmaster" LOL

In all of my learning I was told that the founder of the kwan or art is a 9th dan (not sure of title) There is only one 9th dan in the style. As for 10th dan - you receive that upon death. Those were the rules according to Tang Soo Do Moo Duk Kwan as far as I have always heard. Of course politics, eog, money humanity gets involved and everyone is running around with special belts and funky titles like Absolute Supreme Omnipotent Grandest or Grand Master. IMHO they may well be masters of the art, but that is it.

15. Andy Cap

Andy Cap Valued Member

Muwaaahaaahaaa!! Ouch laughing that much should be outlawed.