Supreme grandmaster in taekwondo?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by BoxBabaX, Dec 8, 2004.

1. BoxBabaX

BoxBabaX H+F Baba ^^

Hi,

i realize that 8th degree dan, is grandmaster?

and isnt there supposed to only be 1 9th degree?

is there such a thing as supreme grandmaster?

2. xxblackkatxx

xxblackkatxx The Gimpy Taekwon Monkey!

i don't think there isn't supposed to not BE one... i just think there aren't that many ^_^

i tried doing a google on a list of GMs, but didn't find anything :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

3. BoxBabaX

BoxBabaX H+F Baba ^^

thanks for the comment,

i was a little confused because i know the teacher at my school is a supreme grand master in taekwondo, but i read somewhere on this forum that 9th degree was the highest and that there was only 1 in the world, i remmember that my teacher did mention one man he knows in korea who was of higher ranking than himself.

haha, screw it. tonight ima just go up to him and ask to see his belt, that way i can count :p ^^

4. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

5. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Thomas has got it. There are several "earned" 9th degrees. I'm only aware of a couple of "honorary" or posthumous 10th degrees.

6. Kosh

Kosh New Member

I talked to my master about this, his father is a grandmaster. He said that 9th is the highest rank. I think GM Kim is 9th dan no#3. The subject seems a little odd because in order to become a 9th dan you would have to be graded by a 9th dan and im not sure how that works.

7. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

The only "Supreme Grandmaster" that I am aware are those 'founders' of the Kwans such as Supreme Grand Master Byung Jik Ro, the founder of the Song Moo Kwan http://www.moogong.com/masters/spgm_byunjickro.htm
    and Supreme Grandmaster Won Kuk Lee founder of Chung Do Kwan system of TKD

8. BoxBabaX

BoxBabaX H+F Baba ^^

well, i did get to see my teachers belt, and there was 9 lines on it, i will ask him about it tommorow, good comments ^^

9. Kwan Jang

Kwan Jang Valued Member

Traditionally, in TKD as well as most Korean systems, the ninth dan is the highest rank for a living practitioner. Tenth degree was reserved as a posthumous honor. There has been quite a bit of rank restructuring going on during the last several years, so they may have made some changes in this policy. There may also be ranks awarded by the individual Kwans, which are usually higher than the WTF ranks. Of course, the ITF, as well as any self-promoting individual or organization may have their own ninth dans or even 15th dans for that matter.

10. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

I know my old TKD instructor took 2 weeks off to go to Korea to get his 9th dan. It was definately NOT a McDojo, so I'm assuming he was telling the truth.

PL

11. oni_sensei

oni_sensei Valued Member

In ITF at least, there is no such thing as "supreme grandmaster". 1st-3rd Dan qualifies you as an Assistant Instructor, 4th-6th are International Instructors, 7th and 8th are Masters, and 9th Dan is reserved for a Grandmaster. There are no official 10th dans, as the 10th Dan is non-existant in ITF Taekwondo. Even General Choi ranked himself as 9th Dan.

There are a handful of 9th Degree ITF black belts around the world, Grand Master Chuck Sereff of the USTF, GM Rhee Ki Ha, GM Hwang Kwang Sung, GM Park Jong Soo, but I think that's about it.

12. BoxBabaX

BoxBabaX H+F Baba ^^

My instructor did exactly the same thing, but went for about a month.

on another note, isnt 8th dan grandmaster?

13. NRees

NRees Taekwon-Do II Degree

212 IX Degrees!! That's a joke, please tell me thats a joke - with that many 9th degrees I can see why they needed to create an extra rank.

Each 'Taekwon-Do' uses it's own rank system. Information on the ITF system of rank can be found here:
    http://www.itf-information.com/information07.htm

14. Greyghost

Greyghost Alllll rrigghty then!

Maybe the should invent a new title...

Galactic Grand Master

or

Cosmic Supreme Ultimate Master of Grandness.

:p

15. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Thomas and KC correct me if you know better, but I believe to test for 9th Dan you grade before a board, a committee have you, of other 9th Dans at the Kukkiwon.

16. Thomas

Please be gentle... remember that the WTF is a different organization than the ITF. 212 ninth dans in the world are registered through the WTF... as far as I know it doesn't distinguish between deceased, active or whatever.

Live and let live

I am not sure of the whole process but the site listed below gives the requirements and such:
    http://www.kukkiwon.or.kr/eng/promotion/simsa0.asp?div=5

Last edited: Dec 10, 2004
  17. Zen TKD Warrior

Zen TKD Warrior New Member

It would help if we knew what TKD org you are in.

And, since no one has said it yet -

There are people out there that are "Self Promoted Grandmasters".

18. NRees

NRees Taekwon-Do II Degree

212 Registered, that wouold explain a little lol. Hopefully there isn't 212 practicing 9th Degrees.

19. Thomas

I don't know.

I did some googling to see if I could find a number of IX dans in the ITF but couldn't find a number. I did find some information on requirements for IX dan though:
    http://www.tkd-itf.org/policies.htm

Anyone know how many ITF IX dans there are?

20. NeonxBurst

NeonxBurst 1st Black

My GM is one and we practice ITF so there has to be more.