Supplements noob

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Master J, Jun 25, 2006.

1. Master J

Master J "No style, no limitation"

I know nothing about supplements.

I'm back into weight training, and I want to build lean muscle for STRENGTH and SPEED.....so I'm lifting heavy.

What kind of supplement should I get? I want something natural....no chemical stimulants or anything. Something that will help me build up muscle.

2. pablo147

pablo147 Valued Member

whey protein is a good start, throw some creatine in there if you want.

3. flaming

flaming Valued Member

4. Skrom

Skrom Banned Banned

what makes you think you need supplements? just lift a lot and eat a lot and see what happens. if you really must get something, just get whey protein and fish oil. how long have you been lifting?

5. GhostOfYourMind

GhostOfYourMind Bewaters lil Iron Monkey

Fish oils, a multivitamin (a good one!), and whey protein are probably the only supplements you need.

Food is THE most anabolic thing you can put into your body, so use it liberally....:D

Consume lots of water too...forgot about that.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2006
  6. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Yeah! What Ghost said!

7. Mr Punch

Mr Punch Homicidal puppet

That's what I always thought as well.

However, I happen to live in a country with a very nice fresh fish supply, and I have some every day... I know this sounds like a silly question, but will fish do instead of fish oils?! :confused: :)

And what's the deal with flax? A lot of people recommend that too.

8. Reakt

Reakt Valued Member

-Whey protein powder
    -Multivitamin

You can get along building lean muscle mass just with those two, its recommended you consume about 1-1.5 grams of protein per pound of body weight a day, when you work out how much you'll need you can see why you need the whey protein. Also remember to consume a decent amount of calories and get lots of various proteins from Fish, Eggs, lean Meats etc.

This is just the basics of course, you could go into much more detail buying ton's of different supplements which all do different things, up to you. And if you're having lots of Fish instead of Fish oils then make sure you frequently have the oily type of Fish which naturally contain the fish oils.

Heres a link which could help define what fish is what. http://www.food.gov.uk/news/newsarchive/2004/jun/oilyfishdefinition