Supplementary classes

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Kurtka Jerker, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

I'm looking for something new. I'm happy with what and where I practice but I'd like to flesh it out with something different.

I've done a search in the area but I've yet to train regularly at a school that shows up on an internet or phone book search, so I hope someone can point me in the right direction. Maybe someone knows of a PFS school database or a random DBMA training group in the area.

I live in the Kingsport, Tennessee area in the United States and I'm looking for some RBSD or modern self-defense/combatives classes to get in on.
    Vunak-school JKD, solid Krav Maga or Systema, MCMAP, MAC or (oh please) ROSS are the things I've thought of but anything of the sort to investigate would be much appreciated.

As a secondary thing I'd also be happy to find a knife school. Maybe some FMA, Pekiti Tirsia or a DBMA affiliate.

I'd be willing to drive an hour to two hours for visits and resistance training is a must. Other than that, anything to try would be great.

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I know we have some guys in Nashville, but not sure about Kingsport. I'll ask around

3. Kurtka Jerker

Knoxville is a big city in that direction about at the edge of what I'd make a monthly or bi-monthly trip for. Might find more there than here. Thanks for the time.

4. Instructor_Jon

Instructor_Jon Effectiveness First

My Hapkido teacher is in your area, if you are interested.

5. Instructor_Jon

Kurtka I sent you a PM with Master Tim's contact info and some stuff about the upcoming conference. Hope to see you there!

6. Kurtka Jerker

Great thanks. I'll give it a look.

7. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Looks like there's an Escrima school in Knoxville.

http://www.inayan.com/ISE/Home.html

Looks like they do some full contact sparring as well.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZmIyUrZHmQ&feature=player_embedded"]Inayan Eskrima - Full Contact - YouTube[/ame]

8. Instructor_Jon

Knoxville actually has a lot of Martial Arts to offer, it's one of the major metropolitan areas in the East Tennessee. University of Tennessee alone has at least two good martial arts clubs (Which reminds me, you ought to check with ETSU and see if they have anything.)

Unfortunately it's a good two hour drive each way from Kingsport. I had to make that drive quite often back in the 90's trying to finish up my Black Belt. With gas prices the way they are nowadays I could never do that.

Tri Cities is not bad though, at least you aren't really out in the sticks!