Super Size Me!

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Mo Lung, May 24, 2004.

1. Mo Lung

Mo Lung Hard work!

I just saw this guy on an interview show on TV. The guy lived on nothing but McDonalds for 30 days and made a film about. Some amazing stuff. After the first few days he was feeling bad. By three weeks his doctors and girlfriend were begging him to stop! Mad stuff. Have a look - should be a great film.

From here.

2. Mo Lung

Mo Lung Hard work!

By the way, he gained 25 kilos and it took him 14 months to lose it again! :eek:

Look at these hideous McNuggets from the same website:

:(

3. Paratus

Paratus aka Mr. Rue

Just saw this movie last Saturday. If you haven't been put off by fast food already, this will likely make you think twice.

A little side note, 6 weeks after the movie was 1st shown in the Canne Film Festival, McDonald's began to cut its Super Size option, and began its eat healthy campaign of salads, water, encouraging running, etc. Even though sometimes their salads are just as bad as a Big Mac :rolleyes:

4. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Man, I couldn't eat at McDonalds for a day let alone a month.

5. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

I read this article Dumbest Diet Ever in my Men's Health magazine.
    (.... yeah I'm a subscriber, I usually don't read the articles but get it for the pics ;) )

6. Mind Aflame

Mind Aflame New Member

that's quite disturbing, it's not that bad in England but as you know, where America leads, the majority of teh British public blindly follow.
    Personally I can't stand MacDonalds, they're absolutely disgusting. Oh well, at least it's combating overpupulation!

7. CKava

CKava Just one more thing... Supporter

I just read an article in New Scientist about how the current anti-fat trend is quite sensationalist and the terible predictions of small scale studies seems to be completely contradicted by the findings of large scale studies. Methinks this could be a case of making a mountain out of a molehil!

Some extracts from it:

... some statistics from what was, in the 1980's, the world's largest ever epidemiological study. From records of nearly 2 mollion Norwegians spanning a decade, it found the highest life expectancy among people with a body mass index (BMI) of 26-28- people who were solidly overweight, according to definitions now used by, among others, the World Health Organization and the American public health establishment.

One recent study, for example, found a 13 per cent increased risk of post menopausal breast cancer associated with being oeverweight. It added up to just one extra death per 10,000 "overweight" women per year. The authors still treated the finding as strong evidence of a causal relationship between weight and cancer.

... the authors of a 2003 JAMA study concluded that it provided compelling evidence of the deadly effects of higher than average weight. The study actually found neglible mortality rates among whites with BMI's up to the mid-20's and no evidence of elevated mortality rates among black Americans across the "overweight" range (BMI 25 to 30).

Ultimately, the current panic over increasing body mass has little to do with science, and everything with cultural and political factors that distort scientific enquiry.

The articile makes some good points and basiclaly it argues that simply being overwieght is not a major detriment to your hwalth. However it isnt denying that living a sedentry lifestyle and such things leads to health problems just that a persons weight is not the crucial health factor we are told it is.

Last edited: May 24, 2004
  8. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

Kilos? I think you mean pounds. 25 kilos is a LOT.

PL

9. aml01_ph

aml01_ph Urrgggh...

It's not that hard to imagine if one has to live for a month entirely on fastfood.

10. Cyrax

Cyrax Forever Student

no the article said pounds

11. Mo Lung

Mo Lung Hard work!

Yep, sorry. My mistake.

As for the healthy and overweight thing, it's worth remembering that a person can be overweight and very healthy or very trim and extemely unhealthy.

Most health bodies now agree that sedentary lifestyle is the top of all health threatening behaviours. Basically saying that a person can smoke, drink, be overweight and exercise and they will be healthier than a person that doesn't smoke or drink, is not overweight, yet does not exercise. Obviously, this is a little extreme, but it's a worthy point to consider.

So, add to the McDonalds diet the fact that the majority of their customers are sedentary too and it's a ticking time bomb.

This guy also mentioned that the McD's chicken salad has the same calories as a Big Mac and 52 grams of fat. In a salad! :eek:

KickChick - for the pictures? Thank god. I thought you read that garbage! ;)

12. SK12879

SK12879 New Member

I hate that this guy is getting so much press. It's a farce to get his 15 minutes! Even McDonald's wouldn't recommend 3 McDonald's meals a day. Of course he gained weight, HE ATE 5000 CALORIES A DAY! It's hard to say whether his cholesterol shot through the roof because of the grease, the lack of exercise, or the accumulating lard on his body, but I would bet that it's a combination of the 3 and not solely (or mostly) reliant on McDonald's. McDonald's can be part of a healthy diet as an occasional indulgence. This guy is making it out to be the devil, which just isn't right.

Is McDonald's responsible? Yes and no. You can say that McDonald's fattening food is making the nation fat. However, that takes the onus off of the consumer and places it on the manufacturer (the manufacturer of a product that NO ONE believes is healthy). Daily, I'm faced with the same marketing blitzes and products that the obese of the nation are faced with....the difference is that I take a personal responsibility in my health rather than letting it go and blaming an outside source - a business who's responsibility is not to their customer's waistlines, but to their stockholders and franchisees. Faulting McDonald's for the ever expanding status of our nation is like faulting Budweiser for "creating" alcoholics. People want stuff that is fast and cheap. McDonald's fills this market better than any other restaurant (this says nothing about taste or nutrition)....their purpose is to turn a profit and if greasy fries and burgers is what do it, then guess what they're going to sell. Social responsibility? Bah! Take personal responsibility.

13. Mrs Owt

Mrs Owt New Member

I don't think you are allowed to talk about personal responsibility in a politically correct society :eek: . The thought police are going to be out after you! There is always someone to blame for your own screw-ups, why blame yourself? Sad, isn't it? :(

14. Hapkido

Hapkido New Member

now u know why i take the victoria's secret catelogs :D

15. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

Somehow, I don't think it's enough, but I have a solution; two words, soylent green. :D :eek: :p

16. Bruce_Wee

Bruce_Wee New Member

i don't eat junk food very often because of my workout

i have worked in McD once and after seeing the whole "food making" process i swore i would never eat them again, but i still eat them once in a while, like when going out with friends etc, it's much easier :), you can't really avoid it completely, all you need is an appropriate diet control and don't be too lazy

in the end just becareful what you put in your mouth because fat cannot be turned into muscle :D

17. sean

sean THOR!

I read an article about this some time ago, I thought it was a hoax, glad to see someone is taking action againsed death corperation Mcdonalds. They destroy beautiful rainforests killing a new species every time to make space for cattle grazing ground :(

-Sean