Sunfish's log

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Guitar Nado, Mar 21, 2014.

1. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

Today is a day I don't usually go to any MA class, and due to a series of unfortunate events, won't be able to go tomorrow. So I figure it's as good a day as any to try this. Starting off small:

5 minutes light jogging as a warm up
    few minutes light stretching
    5 minutes doublestick - heaven six, redondo heaven six, practicing going through 15 angles with both sticks.
    5 minutes doing MT kicks/knees/elbows and punches on wavemaster
    6-7 minutes doing KF forms
    a little Tai Chi as cool down (Bejing short form - the only one I know)

2. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

So what art(s) do you practice alongside MT then?

Either way, yaaaaaaay, another log! :D

3. Guitar Nado

I have learned a little Hung Fut Kung Fu - although mostly what I am/have focused on at that school is kick boxing.

I am learning FMA a bit, sometimes mixed in with some JKD stuff - but I don't know much. There is a lot to learn there.

4. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Cool! More logging!
    So, what FMA flavour is it? 15 angles, you say?
    A recent obsession of mine has been the double stick/empty hand translation - e.g. heaven 6 == inside gunting, backhand (on both sides) :D

Any hoo, all the best with your training (and geetar playing)

5. Guitar Nado

Inosanto/Lacoste FMA is the flavor
    Any sort of gunting to me is hard, I have a hard time practicing that sort of stuff on my own.

Thanks for your comments. I have a new guitar on the way, which will maybe help with the playing.:eek:

6. Guitar Nado

Today did some FMA practice with instructor for an hour or so.

Single stick - roof block, inside deflection, drop stick. Drill roof block alone over and over. Did roof, angle 1 (with a gunting), angle 2 block drill.

Double stick - heaven six, heaven and earth six, earth six. I forget what it is called - but one person does heaven six, and the other blocks using angle 1 and over the head backhands - instead of doing heaven six to block the heaven six.

We did some other stuff, but it's hard to remember it all.

7. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Is the over head backhand stuff from open chamber (with heaven 6 sinawali bring from closed chamber)?

I do something similar and call it 'oblique 6' but I don't know what the tagalog name is, maybe payung 6 (umbrella) or something :)

8. Guitar Nado

Yes - that is it exactly. For whatever reason, it's hard for me to do. Every now and then I just end up trying to block everything with one hand, just doing sort of a "punching" style block (my own term, not sure what this is really called).

9. Guitar Nado

MT class tonight. Did drilling of some combos, lots of round kicks, knees, elbows. Not much conditioning - some pushups and squats.

10. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Plenty of conditioning comes with doing lots of round kicks and knees!

11. Guitar Nado

Yesterday I didn't do much - I have a DVD - The IMD Academy Basic Kali Workout, and I did some of the stuff along with the video. It is different from the stuff I learn from an instructor, and not sure of the value of using a DVD - but it is motivating to spend some time with the sticks and maybe not a total waste of time.

Note to self - Sticks in the house are not such a good idea.

Tonight went to MT class. Nothing unusual - good workout.

12. Guitar Nado

Yesterday I did MT class. Lots of combo drills with knees and round kicks. All pad work and conditioning. I didn't feel completely worn out at the end, which is unusual for me.

Today, had FMA lessons. 95% doublestick - too much to list all, and really was a review of a lot of stuff I had covered before - just going through a lot of it quickly. It is hard to remember everything, it kind of blurs together.

I realize that isn't a lot of detail, but now I see how keeping these logs requires either a good memory or to write stuff down right away. I will try to keep better track.

Also, it makes it clear to me I am not getting as much training in as I sometimes think I am. For example I haven't been to a kickboxing class or any class at the Kung Fu school in many days. I think I am dabbling in too many things, and not getting enough solid time in any one thing. I just don't feel like giving up anything I am doing right now, however.

For my long term plans (more than 6 months or so out), I need to set some goals and figure out exactly what I am going to try to get out of everything I'm doing.

13. belltoller

Nothing wrong with dabbling - there's a time for that as well as a time to master. Are the Filipino, the Muay Thai, kickboxing and the rest offered all at the same place or are nearby each other?

If you're lucky enough to have all that nearby...why not?

BTW,
    what did you get??

14. Guitar Nado

It's 3 different places. All are within 15 minutes or so of my house. There are tons of things available close by - lots of things I could do. It really is great, and I have in the back of my mind that it is good to take advantage of it, because one day I might be living somewhere else and not have the options.

PRS Mira. It was on "scratch and dent" so about $300 off (dent is about a BB sized ding near input jack). Seems like a really nice guitar so far! Only PRS I have ever owned, and it is as stripped down as they get. It has the groovy see-through red finish (which I pretty much associate with Gibson).

15. belltoller

You are dead right on that! I'd dabble away and enjoy every minute of it I could.
    Paul Reed Smith. Somewhat familiar with those - I've heard players describe them as SG-like except they're better balanced.

Another thing that caught my eye (ear) about them is they have a coil-tap switch which allows one to go from humbuckers to single coil pickups ( ala Jimmy Page's custom coil tapping ) - would love that feature!!

Despite that, it doesn't sound like a "Gibson" to me - well, I'm thinking of Les Pauls. Times when they remind me of Strats (ala Hendrix's version) but with a much bigger, cleaner sound - which you'd expect as the Mia's body is a good bit thicker than a Stratocaster. Times it reminds me of the sound from the guitar player for Rush - forget the blokes name. Its definitely a nice, well made American guitar for the money.

Very nice find, you!

Actually it comes to mind - Santana, Carlos Santana plays a PRS Mira on "Moonflower" if you recall that one

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  16. Guitar Nado

To me the feel is sort of SG like. SGs are a guitar I set out to love, because so many players I really like (Iommi, Young, etc.) use them. But in reality, I don't like them that often. The balance is weird, the strap button on the back of the neck is weird, the neck/headstock area seems ultra fragile. The Mira doesn't have a maple top, so it really is SGish - even more than the standard PRS. The coil tap is great - I really love single coil sounds.

Right now it is my #1 guitar, but most new guitars are like that for a while. It really is pretty cool. My previous #1 guitar was a Carvin DC 127 with a Bigsby (what?)

17. belltoller

My number 1 was an early Tokia Japanese Les Paul copy. I'd had it for some time and was always amased at the rich sound produced - it honestly sounded as good to me as the vintage 58-59's and it definitely sounded better than any of the newer Gibson models I'd been hearing.

I found out later ( a neighbour's kid had smashed it ) that this particular model was indeed made closer to the original specs than Gibson's USA factory was now producing :bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

Always trust your ears...

Anyroads, I gave up collecting (or playing much really) after I'd realised what I'd had...just couldn't muster it up to buy guitars that I knew would never sound as good again.

I think I've a picture of one of my kids holding it here on MAP somewhere. The only pose I had of it, lol.

At the time I had a side-business buying old effects such as Roland Space Echo's, Maestro EchoPlex's (still have one I never got 'round to working on the bent shaft and refitting the chassis, probably scattered in pieces now) fixing them up and reselling. The rarest being an Eventide H949 Harmonizer used for that weird, multi-pitched guitar intro on Nobody's Fault But Mine.

Problem was I never made any money - I lost a bit though - which is the problem if you're not disciplined and enjoy playing them too much!

18. Guitar Nado

Yeah - a "secret" that the Tokias are awesome - both the Gibson and Fender copies. Less secret was the 1979 Les Paul custom I got for nothing back in the 80's where pointy guitars were the rage -and I sold it after a year or two and bought an Ibanez 550 (not a bad guitar mind you...). Wish I still had it, and can't bear to pay to replace it.

Heh - I am a fan of the RE-201 pedals that copy these ( I have one). No idea how close they are - never played the originals.

Like you, and probably a lot of folks that have been playing a while - I've seen a lot of decent guitars from back in the day skyrocket in price.

But I have to say that today is the golden age of decent and "good enough" guitars. For very little money you can get a pretty good guitar these days. Back when I started out, if it wasn't made in the USA it was pretty crappy - and even then if it wasn't a name brand it was iffy. My first guitar was a Kay electric (would be worth a bit as a collectors item now) that any $125 Chinese guitar from today would beat by a mile...

19. belltoller

I know that awful feeling...like the idea of trying to replace a spouse after such a big chunk of yer life has been put in.

Oh man, the Roland 201 was the most solid, well made and dependable of the vintage tape-delay machines. Far less breakage than Maestros and certainly less glitchy than the Eventide, it was a joy.

Most of the Echoplex's you could acquire needed LOTS of work but it was very possible to buy an old Roland that was in near mint condition, though I did take note that sourcing new tape for it would become a nightmare. I don't know if any companies stepped in to fill the void but it was looking very bleak when I got out of it.

Not familiar with the digital pedals that copied the originals, except for an echoplex copy that resembled a Line 6 DL4 and the MXR BlueBox - which attempts to replicate the Eventide Harmoniser.

Not a big fan of delay pedals. There was something about the tape that couldn't be duplicated but I do like MXR's stuff; especially the Phase 90.

20. Guitar Nado

Monday did MT class - lots of fun. Did a exercise I have never done before which added a sort of long jump to the end of a burpee, and we basically had to jump/burpee to one end of the room and back, do pushups - repeat for 5 minutes or so.

Wednesday - MT class again. Partnered up with my friend who also does Kung Fu at the same place I do. I was slightly depressed when he told me of the great sparring that went on Tuesday at KF class, which I missed due to having to go to Home Depot with the wife.