Sun Style

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by Nojon, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Nojon

Nojon Tha mo bhàta-foluaimein

Im recovering from a back injury, and thought tai chi and yoga might help me loosen up a bit. as my health club is offering Sun style tai chi. I know a little about the history of it, but am curious about peoples thoughts on this style. I have practiced yang style long form, but years ago.

Thanks.

2. Nojon

To clarify a bit, I realise that a health club class may only be basic movement, etc..but does Sun style teach weapons etc? If I remember correctly, I read Sun Lu Tang creted this style from his knowledge of Xing Yi, and Ba gua..is it more circular than other styles?

3. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

I believe that, as a style, Sun does include Jian (sword) training. However, this will depend very much on the school. With the one you're looking at being a health centre club, I wouldn't expect them to teach weapons.

The best thing to do will be to assess what you want to get out of your training, and go to a session armed with some questions for the instructor. From that, you should be able to gauge whether the class will offer what you seek.

A demo of the Sun style 73 step form.
    [ame]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=kLr9kpMRutM[/ame]

Good luck with your search, and I hope you find something you're interested in.

4. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Yeah there is a sword set.

He learnt Wu Hao tai chi chuan and then went on to create his own set of tai chi chuan based predominantly on that, though of course drawing influnces from all his training. He saw the form he created as his crowning accomplishment so to speak. Tim Cartmell studied and teaches this style and translated Suns book on it, well worth a look if you take it. I was tempted to learn from my copy as it's very clear instruction wise also including a section on pusha hands and Suns veiws regards tai chi practice, good book. His forum would also be worth a browse if you are interested in digging up a few applications, or even a place to ask questions etc.

What i noticed from the book and playing around with the first few movements was the difference in stepping - the form seems to have a lot more follow stepping than you would normally see in most tai chi.

The uk association say the following about the form itself.

I've also heard a saying about the style that goes something like. The legs of bagua, the middle of hsingi and the upper body of tai chi..

My thoughts generally about this style are that it's pretty cool, it's also rare. if you can find a descent instructor you'de be pretty lucky.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2008
  5. Slovenly Zhang

Slovenly Zhang Valued Member

^^^ Agrees with cloudy :cool:

6. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

There are some movement unique to the Sun style that I like very much.

I would say to you...go and find out what they teach. You never know until you have a look for yourself.

Good luck, Carys. :)

7. Nojon

Thanks alot everyone. I just noticed all of the replies. Will report back to you.:)