Sun-style Bagua (Pa-kua Chang)

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by Uitlander, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Uitlander

Uitlander New Member

If anyone hears of a Sun-style Bagua Sifu or instructor doing actual classes (no private instruction, workshops, seminars, etc.) anywhere within California, please let me know. Thanks!

2. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

You should ask Tim Cartmell.

He'd be your best bet for privates. He doesn't have a bagua class, but he might know of one - possibly a student of his.. The style you're asking for is very rare as it is. My guess it would probably be privates or nothing, your choice - if you want the best qualified instructor in the area, it would be Mr. Cartmell hands down in my opinion.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  3. Uitlander

Uitlander New Member

Thanks for your reply.

As regards private instruction, I carefully considered this, prior to nixing it in my post. Private instruction usually starts out at $50 an hour, and goes up from there, so best case scenario, I could afford maybe one hour session once a week. Now if I was advanced student (or even intermediate level), this might be practical, but as beginner, its quite absurd. I'm sure you've heard the old joke about the Sifu with the 'ten-year plan' and the other one on the '20-year plan'...well this would be like the 'fifty-year plan'! If I ever win the Lotto, and can afford two hour session 2 or 3 times a week, then this would be viable, but until then, I'll have to pass. I'll keep looking for an actual class for another 11 months, and if that fails, I'll mark Sun Bagua a dead end (won't be the first dream I've had to euthanize), & focus on my second choice.

4. Putrid

Putrid Moved on

Don't know if this is of any help.He is baed in California.

http://www.ssmaa.org/Video_Clips.html

Not too sure who his teacher is but his Sun style Xingyi and Taiji look slightly different to mine.In Bagua I have only done circle walking and single and double palm change.Whatever Sun style art you are practicing its essential to practice san ti shi everyday as its fundamental to all three arts.The required time for standing is around 40 minutes to an hour everyday.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2010
  5. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

I essentially disagree with you about how many classes you may need necessarily. You could get a bit of a discount even for a couple of hours. That is more than enough instruction to practice for a couple of months in these arts, let alone one. You say you can afford maybe one a week - that is plenty to be honest, It really about how much you practice at home. class is for partner work , correction and picking up new peices. The solo material should be drip fed slowly anyway, so you build a solid foundation - the idea of quality over quantity.

Then take your pick of regular classes if you want to be active on that front. If you can afford to just try a private, you should and Discuss it with the instructor etc. before you write it off as an option. you never know.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2010
  6. Rebo Paing

Rebo Paing Pigs and fishes ...

What the man said ...

As usual some solid advice from cloudz.
    Uitlander, it is important to take the first step. Then take the next, and then the next. Nothing is a foregone conclusion.

7. crshieh

crshieh Valued Member

Sun style is evil!!!!!!!!!!!!!