Sun Character Clashing Fist

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by runcai, Apr 6, 2016.

1. runcai

runcai Valued Member

Sun Character Clashing Fist 日字衝捶

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7439evnE9g"]æ—¥å­—æ²–æ¶ - YouTube[/ame]

The reverse vertical punch is not unique in Wing Chun but it was taught in great details by practitioners of Wing Chun. Any practitioner like to comment on this video or discuss this techniques in details.

2. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

What are the features of this punch and this video that you find impressive?

3. ned

ned Valued Member

At least some of the time(around 20secs) he seems to be bending his wrist and almost making contact with back of the hand .

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  4. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

What technique? All I see is someone practicing awful strikes, bad form, with no guard, and no power.

What a lovely way to learn to eat your own teeth.

5. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

^^^^^^^^ This.

The guy in the video is showing extremely poor form, and, without wanting to appear facetious, it looks as if he's brand new to the world of punching, but I suspect that you're going to tell us that this isn't the case OP.

As a video showcasing "how not to punch" then it is absolutely spot on, but, as a video demonstrating "Fists of Fury" then this is very far off the mark.

6. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Haven't you been warned already about this kind of "throw mud and see what sticks" posting runcai? There are guidelines on posting a video and this ain't meeting them!

7. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Hi Runcai,

I don't have any comments at this time, but I (like others) am curious as to what you have to say about it. Why have you posted it?

thanks

8. runcai

runcai Valued Member

Sorry, I just want to make sure that Wing Chun practitioners in this forum knew what a Sun Character Clashing Fist before having a close analysis or detail discussion of it that is all. As suggested, we can look at the various faults of this technique as performed in this video.

9. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Sun Ji Jong Chui?

10. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Go on then.....

11. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

Limp wrist? No that can't be it.

12. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Not a Wing Chun guy, but if it means what I think it does then in the video the direction of energy and intention are wrong.

13. SWC Sifu Ben

日捶 means the vertical wing chun punching as the 日 is meant to visually replicate the bottom three knuckles as the striking surface. As for the 衝 bit.... this is rather meaningless in this context (forward/dash/burst) as the guy just ends up doing the jik chun choi (chain punching) but keeps turning to the side. And again the lack of mechanics speaks for itself and you don't have to do wing chun so see it.

And this is the first time I've seen anyone call it 日字衝捶. The 日 character is redundant since you don't do the 字衝捶 (jik chun choi) any other way.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  14. runcai

runcai Valued Member

It looks like it. This technique is basically striking with the knuckles of the ring and little fingers, and squeezing the fist prevented the wrist being straight.

15. runcai

runcai Valued Member

Thank you for your observation, there is a lack of coordination between arm, torso, and stance. The concept of clashing is using the stance and torso to drive the fist into the opponent so to speak, and he will have problems in a real situation.

May be you would like to comment on the following video posted by You Know who before:

Beng Quan, one of the Five Elements of Xing Yi

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pwzR2t1f30&nohtml5=False"]Teaching Footage in Chinese: Xing Yi (Beng Quan) - YouTube[/ame]

This is also a vertical fist technique clashing forward by stepping.

16. SWC Sifu Ben

The concept of punching is doing that. The concept of 衝 is a constant forward driving barrage of strikes. It doesn't predicate using the stance and torso, that's just the proper mechanic for delivering strikes.

Maybe you would like to comment on a video when you post it instead of just throwing it up and then parroting back everyone else's observations.

17. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7439evnE9g"]æ—¥å*—æ²–æ¶ - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pwzR2t1f30&nohtml5=False"]Teaching Footage in Chinese: Xing Yi (Beng Quan) - YouTube[/ame]

If we compare these 2 clips, we can see the following difference.

- The XY punch coordinates with footwork (punch and foot landing at the same time). The WC punch is static (no forward footwork, no hand and foot coordination).
    - The XY punch use more body rotation (punching arm and chest line up in a perfect straight line). The WC punch use less body rotation with square shoulder (there is an angle between punching arm and chest).
    - The XY punch utilizes one hand pulling back to help the the hand to punch out. The WC punch doesn't not utilize that "pulling".
    - The XY punch is a punch follow by a "pull" (punch will never come back empty-handed). The WC punch is just a punch (no pulling intention).

IMO, the

- XY punch can generate more power.
    - WC punch can have faster multiple punches.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
  18. runcai

runcai Valued Member

Thanks YouKnowWho, please note that the performer in XY video is using a kind of shell fist, that is to strike with the knuckle of his index finger and his wrist can not exert too much force upon impact. If done properly, the Wing Chun Sun Character Clashing Fist should have the wrist stretch upward or radial flexion with the elbow pointing downward, which should be better upon impact.

19. runcai

runcai Valued Member

Thanks, I think you can call it interactive learning as well.

20. runcai

runcai Valued Member

The proper alignment of the wrist is important in Wing Chun, and most practitioners are train to aim at the philtrum in a short range strike. If the opponent do not have the alternative of moving back the most likely defense is a headbutt to the incoming knuckles.