Suitable martial art for +35 years

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Mohammad, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

why do you feel like you need another martial art?

2. Morik

Morik Well-Known Member Supporter MAP 2017 Gold Award

What is your goal? (Competition, fitness, fun, knowledge, self defense, etc?)

3. Mohammad

Mohammad New Member

Unfortunately,No hapkido here

4. Mohammad

Mohammad New Member

Unfortunately,No hapkido here

5. Hapki54

Hapki54 New Member

Maybe Shotokan then

6. Mohammad

Mohammad New Member

Sometimes,i find aikido needs another martial art to support it

Specially in emergency situations

Giovanni and Monkey_Magic like this.
  7. Vince Millett

Vince Millett Haec manus inimica tyrannis MAP 2017 Gold Award

I started BJJ at age 52 (I'm almost 58 now). It is good for older martial artists. I had some aikido training (and some other arts) back in my teens.
    BJJ would be a good addition to aikido as it has some common roots. Knowledge of joint locks and takedowns from aikido will be useful in BJJ but BJJ has the advantage of training against fully resisting partners so it would help separate out what actually works. If you feel you need to include some striking training or specific self defence applications then most BJJ instructors will be able to advise. Many bigger clubs have kickboxing or Muay Thai sessions in their timetable for that very reason - many jiu jitsu people want to add some striking skills.

Giovanni, Mohammad and Dead_pool like this.
  8. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

I dont know of any classes that have ever banned the over 25's from training.

Are you sure that's exactly what they all said?

9. Dead_pool

Most arts will get you fitter, so it doesn't really matter how fit you are at the moment, andmost beginner classes are pretty good at introducing newbies, which as an experienced aikidoka you will be fitter then.

Didn't you ask this last year too, did you try out any classes then?

10. Mohammad

Mohammad New Member

Fun,jnowledge and self defense

11. Mohammad

Mohammad New Member

I tried a class of bjj and judo but that was with experts
    It was impressive and exiting
    Felt that will hard

12. Mohammad

Mohammad New Member

Yes i am sure
    They need young players for competitions and because of thier fresh fitness

13. Old bloke

Old bloke Active Member

This seems to be a case of 2nd danism, 2nd danism is a condition of a martial artist that has passed the stage of fast learning, 1st Dan 1st mile stone, 2nd dan you get to a stage when the amount of learning slows, adaptations on basic moves to make the circles smaller, the movement smoother, the 2nd dan often questions, is the art for them, without looking at the bigger picture, they feel they are not advancing as quick, learning as much.
    Your choice is simple, do you have 2nd danism, or do you want to expand your knowledge by learning new skills, or are at the age where you are not as confident as you used to be?
    I think the answer maybe a combination of all 3, so what is the answer? Know yourself, find out what you really want, what do you want to achieve, find out, embrace your Aikido, give yourself to it, or move on.

Mohammad likes this.
  14. Dead_pool

Yes it will be hard, that's why it's worth doing, if it was easy, everyone would be a Blackbelt!

So just to double check, As the BJJ and judo places are OK with you training, why arnt you training?

axelb and Mohammad like this.
  15. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

Wow, that's beyond ridiculous.

Judo is great with Aikido. It will take your Aikido to a new level. I started Judo at 41 so you'll be fine. BJJ or Catch Wrestling are also great, and learning boxing or kickboxing is another good option. After all, good Aikido should have good atemi, and boxing is good stuff.

You may also want to consider a weapon art to up your aikiken and learn weapon techniques for their own sake, and not merely to illustrate unarmed principles. They are also a little easier on the body.