Suggestions appreciated

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Frodocious, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Will a rashguard and Under Armour lycra shorts do?

2. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

A second for farmer and suitcase carries.

Would the impingment affect waiter walks? I too have shoulder issues but find waiter walks to be ok.

3. Frodocious

Anything overhead is a problem at the moment. I've introduced some lat pulldowns but that's the only overhead work I'm doing right now

4. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

Tuck jumps can be another clod move to throw into conditioning circuits.
    I also like box jumps (picnic table jumps in my case I don't have a box, I'm sure you can use the curb) walking/jumping lunges and hill sprints.

My shoulder has started playing up a little again and I always make sure I get a decent little pump in my rear delts before bench/OHP may be worth a try.

I'm also swapping bench for reverse band bench and decline, it's more volume but i think it'll help.

5. Frodocious

Thanks! Box jumps are a good suggestions (once I get over my shins splints), as are lunges and I'm planning on adding in some hills sprints too.

I'm currently doing floor presses with fairly light dumbbells (~15lbs each) and a neutral grip, along with a limited number of pushups, but really starting to build up the pulling exercises to strengthen up my upper back - inverted rows, chest supported rows, lat pulldowns (these will be upgraded to band neutral grip pull ups in a few weeks).

6. seiken steve

Some stiff arm lat isolation may be a good port of call.
    Stiff arm pull downs
    Kayak rows (you have no excuse, you have to be good at these)

The vast majority of my upper body work is some form of row or back work, so I like to brink I could be some help if needed.

EDIT: just re read, your cool with pulling but want more pushing, oh well offer still stands, floor presses are great IMO
    Board presses (or foam roller presses if your gym doest have boards may be a good progression.

Also some kind of sled/tire is the best conditioning tool you will ever own.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  7. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

wait, you want pushing movements? why are you not doing dips 24/7?

I AM DISAPPOINT

8. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Nope. We've agreed to shave your head. You're the short bald guy for our Benny Hill video.

Mitch

9. Frodocious

Actually, I'm trying to maximise the pulling but just do a bit of pushing. There's not a snowball's chance in hell of me doing dips at the moment - my shoulder would need amputation after the first set! Limited range pushing stuff is ok, if I gradually increase it, so floor presses and board presses are fine, but full range stuff is completely out of the question right now.

10. Fish Of Doom

hmmm... skinny dipping then? :p

more seriously, again, what about isometric holds?

11. Frodocious

I'm gradually easing into things at the moment, once I'm happy that the stuff I'm doing with light weights is ok, I'll start introducing some holds on the rings (and l-sits) back into my routine, e.g. holds in the push up position to start with - they should help with stability as well as strength.

12. Fish Of Doom

13. seiken steve

Oh, shin splint idea, only ever do your sprints uphill.

Helped me till my shins got back into it.

14. Fish Of Doom

uphill running is awesome.

15. Frodocious

Cheers, Steve. I'm pretty lucky were I live, we're about 200m from a really steep hill, so I just need to get my act together to walk out there!

Quick question, how many sets and what sort of distance/time do you do your hill sprints over?

16. seiken steve

I do 3 sprints with less than ten seconds rest then have 30-60 seconds rest and do another set of 3
    3-10 sets depending.

Alternatively if your doing a longer hill, sprint up walk down repeat till agony.

Depends what I'm training for, if its for lungs I'll do slightly longer runs with less rest if its for muscles short bursts with more relaxed rests.

Other ideas are to do ad exersice at the bottom, sprint to the top, walk down and rest 10 seconds for 3-9 rounds.

Get creative.

17. icefield

icefield Valued Member

how long you sprint depends on what you are working on, a good workout which works both aerobic power and explosiveness in the legs is to sprint 6 -10 seconds up hill and walk back down wait until your heart rate reaches 130bpm or so and go again, start with 15 sets and build up to 25 or so

18. icefield

icefield Valued Member

might have already been asked but what equipment do you have access to, and regards to conditioning what end result are you looking for?

19. Frodocious

I have a squat cage, gymnastic rings, multigym with dip station, ~200kg free weights (barbells, dumbbells), a small matted area, an incline ab board, a bench, stability ball, sandbag, a number of hills locally, a ~25m stretch of garden, an improvised GHR set up, skipping rope, ab wheel, several strength bands, a set of parallettes (and probably some other stuff that I can't think of right now).

With conditioning I want to improve my general aerobic capacity (because it sucks) plus my fitness for round based martial arts for when I get back to BJJ and Judo, which is more along the anaerobic/interval lines.

My problem is that I really want to limit the amount of impact/reps that I put my shoulder through because there is a still some inflammation in the tendon so I don't want to set it off again. My physio has said to keep an eye on it and if it's still causing problems in 6 months get an injection to bring the residual thickening down.

20. icefield

icefield Valued Member

First off I am so jealous of your set up, secondly aerobic capacity wise how does it s*ck? do you have problems maintaining work rate during a round? Problem’s recovering between rounds or are you great for a few minutes and then second and third round you suffer? or all of the above? Aerobic wise I can give you some tests to do that can tell you where your aerobic fitness is in if you are interested and a simple 8 week progression to improve it

What sets the shoulder off? I take it overhead pressing, bench work, dips etc are out but what about squats and DLs do they set it off? Does doing burpees and holding that position for example hurt it?