sudden loss of strength in my bench press?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by LeighB, Oct 21, 2010.

1. LeighB

LeighB Valued Member

ive got a quick question about eating i try to eat like every 3 hours but it gets hard because im not in control of the food bill in my house my parents are and they buy so much **** like chocolate and crisps , so i have to stick with like brown bread , milk , chiken and things like that but i wanna know any thing thats cheap and easy because i cant cook and i cant afford to buy food constantly

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

If you can't cook I suggest tuna. You can made a great salad from tuna that can be kept in a container and eaten throughout the day if needed.

Tuna, onion, salad leaves, mushroom (raw), tomato, bell peppers, sweetcorn etc. The list is endless. I see nothing wrong with a good quality olive oil based dressing to take away the dryness, it is also a good source of fat. Mix the lot up in a large bowl put into containers the keep in the refridgerator.

Simple and no cooking skill needed.

3. Bigmikey

Bigmikey Internet Pacifist.

Simon gives some good advice as well above. Another thing you can do is cottage cheese. 14 grams of protein, 6 grams of carbs or LESS... I would mix a serving of cottage cheese with a serving of plain yogurt, add a little olive oil and use it as a salad dressing!

4. icefield

icefield Valued Member

you should really change the weight you are lifting as well as or rather than than the reps you are doing as its the percentage of your 1 rep max you are lifting that effects the CNS system and causes overtraining as much as the number of reps

Let us know how often you lift, what lifts you do and ill try to give you an example of what i mean

5. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

if i was a betting man my guys for a bad day is..
    1. dehidrated
    2. different time of day...i teld to have more power in evening than in morning...just not a morning guy
    3. tired ....not a good night sleep...if drinking last night combine 3+1
    4. not into it......you be suprised what the mood can do.....blast some rob zombie into the ipod and focus....you can ussally get a rep or two.

on an off note i one time got real mad at a guy in the gym.....when i went to get a drink he took the squat rack i was working at and started to do curls (huge pet peave of mine) while he was doing a ton of weight curling (real huge guy)...it always bugs me when people take up squat rack to curl....cause you can curl off the ground...i cant squat off ground.....we had a huge agrugment over who was first, blah blah,,,real childish but we wer ready to fight...till gym owner was like "do you know who that is...hes gonna kill you" to the guy........after that i finished my squats....but with the anger i ended up pushing out 3 more reps than i planned to do.....after a few days we made up (i appoligized cause i was actually the catalist) but i joked that i should pay someone to anger me before every work out

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  6. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Good post. Consistency is the key in weight training. It's a marathon, not a sprint. It takes years of hard work and dedication to get to advanced levels.

7. LeighB

LeighB Valued Member

@ icefield , i do 3 days a week , a bench day a squat day and a deadlift day my original plan was 5x5 on the 3 big lifts but changed to 3x5 coz i was stalling .

i did have another bench day today i tried 72.5 for 3x5 i almost done it but i think i messed it up by not resting enough , although i made an interesting observation , my incline bench is 22.5 kg less than my actualy bench me and one of the other trainers were laughing at it but everyone was quite suprised how bad i was on the incline , i didnt think it would matter than much to be honest they seem to think it did

8. icefield

icefield Valued Member

do you train MMA or any combat sport?

9. LeighB

LeighB Valued Member

i do train in muay thai but i dont do that because i want to compete but i just do it to enjoy it

10. icefield

icefield Valued Member

How often do you train thai in a week, and do you do any conditioning on top?

(If you only do Thai boxing once a week and don’t do any other conditioning just skip the bit below and ill just give you a three day example split, otherwise read on)

The problem with doing a pure power lifting split whilst also training a combat sport is fairly obvious, not everyone has the capacity to recovery from three hard lifting sessions and 2 or 3 sports training sessions a week, and thus progress comes to a grinding halt after a while, it’s the reason most sports do their strength training during the off season and do maintenance work during the season, its simply very hard to do a power lifting split and train for your sport and makes gains at both unless you are a complete beginner.

I’m not saying you can’t do both, just that you have to modify what you are doing to fit your circumstances, most combat sports guys I know (others on this forum might now shoot me down in flames but ill stick my neck out here lol) train at most two days with weights, and if they do three the third day is very light, whether those days are an upper and lower split of full body workouts is a personal choice, I prefer full body workouts but I know guys who have made good gains on both, but I don’t know many who made real gains doing three hard days a week on top of their other training.

11. LeighB

LeighB Valued Member

lately i have only been able to get once a week at most since the overtime had kicked in at work

12. _sam_

_sam_ Valued Member

You just had a bad day bro, don't let it get you down. i think you'd be better off taking a accurate 1RM and start doing your work sets with increasingly heavier poundages. over 4 or 5 weeks work from 70% (5x5) to 90-95% (2-3 sets of 1-2 reps) then either test new max or start over and test it the next month. after the first cycle start at 75-80% for 5x5 or 5x3 depending on how you feel. i use a similar set up for bench at the mo and its just going up and up. wk1=5x5 at 80%, wk2=5x3 at 85%,wk3=3x3 at 90% wk4= 2-3x1-2 at 95%. wk5 is either deload (if i feel the need) or re-calculate and start over. i'm only going to test my max now every 10-12 weeks and just add weight when i'm hitting all reps in the sets.

i also benefitted massively from training bench twice per week. mondays (heavy day) and thursdays (light/speed work) so may be worth considering.

13. LeighB

LeighB Valued Member

ok had a another bench day on monday wasn't really happy with what i had done so i decided to take a week off and will start again on monday with a squat day and i''ll start with my 5x5 on all exercises again from now on i think im gonna add like a deload week because ive actuly wasted more time trying to carry on than just using a week to recover

14. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Generalising: You'll find the heavier you lift the more recovery time (days) you'll need in between sessions.

Certainly if you are doing a 5 x 5 type routine, once you go over a certain amount of weight (different for each indiv), you may find trying to cram three sessions into one week is counterproductive.

In that case stretch it out to 3 sessions over 9 days and see how you go from there. That may work for you for a while. And rinse and repeat.

More rest days between weights sessions is usually the best remedy.

Good Luck.

15. LeighB

LeighB Valued Member

well now i do a sort of modified 5/3/1 program and managed to get my bench to a 82kg now . i certainly was doing too much i rest and eat more now and all my other lifts are going up aswell now

16. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

That's the true key of strength training, especially when you're doing it naturally. Lift hard and intense, and make sure you get plenty of rest before your next session.

17. LeighB

LeighB Valued Member

yeah , today was my first day of jim wendler 5/3/1 seems like a very straight forward system although i use a couple more exercises so i dropped the number of sets i do from 5 to 3 . also tried dips for the first time , damn they are hard !!