Stylistic differences in competitive judo?

Discussion in 'Judo' started by qazaqwe, Dec 22, 2014.

1. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

I was wondering, given how boxers, kickboxers, nak muay and mixed martial artists can be divided into rough groups based on their skills and aptitudes, that generally have advantages and disadvantages over other fighters, (swarmers crowding boxers, boxers keeping punchers at bay, punchers steamrolling inside fighters,etc.) is there much distinction between various tactics in competitive judo and how do would you classify such styles?

2. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I think it comes down to individual fighters' preferred grips and throws. That in itself is largely determined by physiology. Example: Kosei Inoue is a big fella who has a real nasty ouchi gari. Sarah Menezes is tiny and employs a wicked drop seoi nage.

3. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

That sort of rings true in most other sports though, you'd rarely be a primarily inside fighter if you were tall with a decent reach, and it's practically impossible to box someone if your shorter.

4. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

I read an article on conditioning for judo, and it divided judoka into three categories: the grappler, the charger, and the turner. More or less, here's how the author described them:

The grappler: doesn't go for a sweet ippon, will drag you down and grind out a win in newaza

The charger: self-explanatory. After all, one can go forward faster than one's opponent can go backwards.

The turner: rotates into those O-goshi, seionage, uchi-mata as the charger comes in.

From my limited judo experience, I'd say I've seen all those in my club.

Does that help?

-Mark

5. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

I like those categories, but the rules against leg grabs have made the charger largely obsolete.

6. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

Thanks guys, you've answered a question that has been bugging me for years.

7. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

I would say that Judo is an extremely aggressive sport, I think we would all say that. Honestly it would really just depend on who your opponet is as to what role you play. If a partner just lets me have my way and Im strong enough to do it then thats how Im gonna play Judo, if he has some skill and keeps me from throwing or sweeping him easily then thats a different game.

I really kinda disagree with the OP, Im sorta curious why no body gigged it just yet. If you look at boxing as a martial art and not just a sport, in other words if you dont just focus on the prize fights youve seen, then I think we could all argue that its more than able to prepair you to strike at any range, especially if you use the dirty techniques most guys know and pass on to younger boxers, stepping on your opponets foot, tripping while clinching, kidney shots and elbows bla bla bla.
    I dont know that those charicter rolls are even valid as posted in the op.

8. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

The only reason i used such a distinction is because their are weight classes in competitive judo, i also don't recall ever stating that the validity of judo or boxing as martial arts was in question for a person of any shape or size.

9. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

Yes and no. I kinda sounded like you were saying boxing was only good for a certain range, perhaps I read that wrong, I dont mean to pick you apart at any rate. Judo is awesom and the more you randori the better idea youll get about what works for you, and the longer you do that more and more will start working lols. Have a merry Christmas.

10. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

Merry Christmas to you as well.

11. MaxSmith

MaxSmith Valued Member

That's really interesting. I grew up with the impression that everyone needed one forward throw or sweep, one backward throw or sweep, and one turning throw or sweep in terms of their go to moves. With the idea being you need one of each to play off each other in order to chain moves together.

Never really broke it down into those tree category before but if I think about it, I've probably met each type at some point along the way.

12. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

True enough. But we all have our favourite approaches. I like to run people down with kouchi gari/kosoto gari and sneak in an Ouchi gari or Uchi Mata. I'm too new to actually have any kind of real strategy. I'm reasonably tall (6 feet) so getting those sweet seionage and ogoshi type things doesn't really work for me... it takes too long to get down far enough against a shorter opponent. Funny that I spent all my white belt training to learn throws I'll never use against a skilled opponent!

-Mark

13. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

I'm tall and a lefty, which means pretty much every combination we drill on a regular basis either doesn't work for me because I'm tall or because it is awkward with a Kenka yotsu grip. It's frustrating as hell

14. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

I'm a lefty too! Uchi mata works nicely for me, and all the sweeps since it doesn't matter so much where your grips are. Tai-otoshi is good for lefties too. O-goshi, not so much, at least for me. There are some lefties in my club and one of the senseis is a lefty too. Maybe we should start a lefty judo tips thread?

-Mark

N.B. I'm a natural southpaw but I box orthodox (stiff jab ftw). The medieval grappling puts dominant side back since you'd close from striking so I end up using the same (left) lead for all my unarmed stuff. Handy. See what I did there? ;)