Stylistic differences between N and M?

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by KempoFist, May 2, 2007.

1. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

The basic on that is to be born, or live
    It is sei, sho... life, revive
    Radical #44 in the book I have or it is #100 in Nelsons Dict.
    5 strokes in the one I am talking about.

Should we be congratulating you. Boy or girl. Or are you a born again Christian? Shu can be lord and master. Slight variation on the Kanji.

Hot, warm or cold?

Gary

Last edited: May 3, 2007
  2. John Bishop

John Bishop Valued Member

See. Now here's a simple, clear concise answer.

3. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Yea once in awhile, if I want to. Check out what I added, is it pertinent?

Gary

4. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

金沢の武弘

clue #2 Gary

5. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Cool, Did you get, new softwear.

I'll have to get back later dinner is on :D

Gary

6. SifuJason

SifuJason Valued Member

I think you are seeing things where there aren't any Gary. Gung fu (or Gongfu) is Mandarin, while Kung Fu is Cantonese. They describe the same thing. Two words, two dialects, one concept.

7. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

No, no Sifu J.....you got him all wrong :rolleyes:

See.......

;)

8. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

try at a real answer

in my experience, which pales in comparison to some,

Kenpo tends to use more quick strikes
    Kempo tends towards fewer strikes and more manipulations/locks

Kenpo is typically taught with extensive vocabulary and articulated principles
    Kempo is typically taught with more of a "feel and do" paradigm.

There's one observation about how the styles do and one on how they are taught.

You can't be too specific because every teacher is different.

-D

9. SifuJason

SifuJason Valued Member

You are indeed correct, I am in error...

10. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Jason again,
    Bruce Lee used Gung fu, and from what all the Cantonese told me, it
    meant "work master" and is the Pinyin version). Similar to Gung Ho (a
    bastardization of the Chinese) which meant industrial worker or hard
    worker. The Mandarin masters I knew used Kung fu, which has a slightly
    different meaning - difficult to put in a couple of words.

Jason I believe if you read what David mentions, it is about the same. You are being way to simplistic.

That is the problem with much of this and why so many schools and thoughts. If it was that simple it would be nice.

I have been told what you are saying long ago, and far away. Unfortunatly it is more complex. Any time different languages are at play, it is not so simple.

Kuntao, Tang Soo Do, Chuan fa, Kempo, Karate...meaning similar but different.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuntao

Gary

Last edited: May 3, 2007
  11. Nuck Chorris

Nuck Chorris I prefer North South

Jason is correct however. In China to this day, every region speaks a different dialect. Now all the kids must learn putanghua, but the for the most part they go home to hear words that have been spoken for generations within the village and nowhere else.

When travelling by train from Nanning to Beijing, I was bunked with some people from LiuJo (the anus of China) and they were trying to talk to me. All I knew was putanghua and some Nanninghua )to get by in the city.) We communicated in written form. The written characters are what allow communication within China. Mao knew this and had the hanzi simplified. Now complex characters are only used in calligraphy and Taiwain. When I was there Hong Kong was still part of the UK, and they used complex, but I think that changed on ownership change.

So where does that leave us. Kung Fu and Gung Fu are written the same way. They are the same word. Mean the same thing.

For the Kenpo Kempo thing. I think the Hawaiians were out surfing and got water in their ears. So when they heard the "N" or "M" they couldn't figure out cuz. Both ways da kine!

12. SifuJason

SifuJason Valued Member

Gary, as Nuck Chorris has pointed out, it's the same language, different dialects. Your statement that of "different languages are at play" is simply wrong in this case. You seem to have a tendency to make things more complicated than they are. This is one of those times. Same concept, spelled the same way, pronounced differently in different regions of China.

13. KempoFist

KempoFist Attention Whore

Gary, I ignore a lot of your "inquiries" because they make no sense. Take this gem for example, right in response to this very thread. What in gods name does comments about different Kung Fu styles have to do AT ALL with explaining the differences between Kempo and Kenpo?

Or how about you inviting me to go to a "Kosho Summit" when I do not train Kosho Kenpo nor would that be productive in any way to proving or disproving any of my points.

Gary, stay on topic, and I'll be glad to address your points. But if you go off-topic, I'm not gonna even acknowledge it unless of course I can find a way to make a witty comment that amuses me.

14. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Your thoughts, not mine.

Similar to why others have different translations when they do a book. The book of five rings is a good example. Three different, translations three, different views.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_martial_arts

It has only been in the last few decades it was so simple. I gave you links did you read them, probably not.
    Just your opinion as always.

The 20th century and towards the end was when we started having any legitimate relations with China. Now it is different, same as the story in Hawaii to much water between the mainland and the islands :D Tough to get there and back. Now today we have all the new and revised stories.

4 Kajukenbo people, all with different ideas how things happened, different time frame etc.. Age and other things are a big factor here Jason.

What I put into the conversation is from a person who has been to China a lot. Has a son there now.

Again,
    Bruce Lee used Gung fu, and from what all the Cantonese told me, it
    meant "work master" and is the Pinyin version). Similar to Gung Ho (a
    bastardization of the Chinese) which meant industrial worker or hard
    worker. The Mandarin masters I knew used Kung fu, which has a slightly
    different meaning - difficult to put in a couple of words.

Gary

15. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

I decided to go with Johns thought that is it, read the thread KempoFist. I decided it would be a good location for the comment. You no likeeee :D
    To Badddeee.

:ban: :saz: :topic: :Aegis:
    Then you can all talk to each other, and I'll do what Danjo is mentioning in Kanji.

Gary :D

16. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

I believe you should chastize John also KempoFist.... :rolleyes:

17. KempoFist

Interesting. Back when I was a big into Kempo, and didn't realize how much else was out there, I viewed it like this.

Kenpo = American Kenpo which was to me, a version of Kenpo which used a lot of open hand strikes and flurries to overcome the opponent. This was based on heresay and online videos I had seen.

Kajukenbo was more focused on "harder" strikes, and big sweeping hammerfist type strikes with the goal of crushing through the opponents defense rather than trying to overwhelm them. This was based off of the few alphabet techniques I had learned

Kempo (THE BEST!) I had thought to be a practical blend of both, mixed in with much use of grabbing and sweeping within the techniques, so that we never relied soley on striking. I felt that my KeMpo training prepared me to attack in any way that seemed fit, which would change depending on my opponent.

Unfortunately, IMO regardless of these stylistic differences, I believe that the separation of style doesn't come with the spelling but rather the specific teacher. Because as you can see from my initial post, instructors of all kinds and lineages use both spellings, which was my initial point: Kempo is Kenpo is Ke?po. If you're training with a solid school it just depends on who your teacher is.

18. KempoFist

LOL. Well I just got owned it seems. I apologize Gary, I now see the humor in your response.

19. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

KempoFist mentions:
    Unfortunately, IMO regardless of these stylistic differences, I believe that the separation of style doesn't come with the spelling but rather the specific teacher. Because as you can see from my initial post, instructors of all kinds and lineages use both spellings, which was my initial point: Kempo is Kenpo is Ke?po. If you're training with a solid school it just depends on who your teacher is.

KempoFist you are saying what you believe now. You should go to Lake George like I mentioned. Then you will find, and thank me afterward. Try to take Hanshi down, or Pat...Go there I have it set up for you.

But your hospital bill will be your own if you over do it :D

Gary

20. Lily

Lily Valued Member

The d34dly?