Stylistic differences between N and M?

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by KempoFist, May 2, 2007.

1. KempoFist

KempoFist Attention Whore

Thus far BGile and KenpoDavid have claimed that there are clear stylistic differences between Kenpo and Kempo, and have told me that I am mistaken when I claim that through the mixed and convoluted lineages that there is no longer (if there ever was) such a difference.

Now firstly, lets look at the letters themselves. The M clearly has an extra foot, and at least one extra serif than the N. :D

Now onto the meat and potatoes. Lets look at lineages.

We have Mitose who did Kenpo Jujitsu, and Chow who did Kara-Ho Kempo. We have Emperado doing Kajukenbo which bred Hawaiian Kempo and Gascon who goes and does Karazenpo, which bred Pesare who did Kenpo as well as Kimo who does Kempo-jutsu. Under Pesare we have Cerio who did Kenpo, and Villari under Cerio who claims Kempo, with most villari BB's branching off with their own brands of Kempo.

So we have:
    The two most accepted founders teaching separately using M and N
    Emperado students using M and N
    Gascon students using M and N
    and Cerio students using M and N

So where is the line drawn in the sand on technique, style and lineage based on the spelling of the word? :rolleyes:

Last edited: May 2, 2007
  2. John Bishop

John Bishop Valued Member

We we're done with this one, we can discuss the stylistic differences between "gung fu" and "kung fu". ;)

3. KempoFist

Gung Fu has heavier punches because they use the rooted weight of the hook of the g that the k does not possess.

4. John Bishop

John Bishop Valued Member

Well then answer me this. If I am offended by your incorrect way of spelling "kung fu" with a "G", do I come to your school and challenge you to a "Gong Sau" or a "Kong Sau"?

5. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

I thought that Gung Fu was taught by Kajukenbo in the early years? Or maybe that was just the earlier spelling before the movie Kung Fu.

http://www.karatebreaking.com/chinesemethod.html

Ba Gua and all that.

http://www.zhangtaiji.com/

One being north the other being south. If the top of the octagon is always south then north is at the bottom :google:

M is not in Chow it is in Mitose's first book. Kenpo Karate was Chow. Then it went to Kempo with the help of GM Sam, some mention.

www.Kenpokarate.com

Gary

Last edited: May 2, 2007
  6. SifuJason

SifuJason Valued Member

Gary,

Please tell me you know the actual difference??!!!

7. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Jason, pick a story any story (about MA) and there are dozens of interpretations out there.

We could say internal, external...We can say north and south we can say rooted versus high kicks. What do you want to hear?
    Kung Fu could be just doing a good job, doing an art well.

Edit for more information if you want to go this route.
    Bruce Lee used Gung fu, and from what all the Cantonese told me, it
    meant "work master" and is the Pinyin version). Similar to Gung Ho (a
    bastardization of the Chinese) which meant industrial worker or hard
    worker. The Mandarin masters I knew used Kung fu, which has a slightly
    different meaning - difficult to put in a couple of words.
    I could go on for quite some time. But...It is a language thing :cool: also.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kung_fu_(term)

Gary

Last edited: May 3, 2007
  8. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

Ooooo I have one!!!! How about the stylistic differences between the Ninja and the Ninjer?? :eek: Where do we draw the line there?? :rolleyes:

9. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

羅生門,

10. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

Krotty and Karate and Kara-Te ? Anyone, no? I'm thinking?

11. Nuck Chorris

Nuck Chorris I prefer North South

KA RA TAY! Sponge Bob Square Pants!

12. Lily

Lily Valued Member

You just don't get it do you? There's an A in Ninja and an ER in ninjer.

13. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

Yes okay....but what are the stylistic differences?? Will NinjA come to battle with swords, kamas, chains, shurikens? Will NinjER come to battle with a six pack and cigarettes? Will his pot belly get in the way of th3 d3adly techniques?? That's what I'm asking??

14. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

羅生門

15. Lily

Lily Valued Member

In Engrish please :)

16. KempoFist

Well this thread went an unexpected, yet curiously obvious direction in hindsight. :rolleyes: :)

17. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

And you're shocked :eek: :p

18. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

Wait for the Gabster to enlighten you on this one.

19. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

I've said some things, but it is being avoided. Always that way it seems. If I counted the number of times no one answered a question or replied to me seriously (not being thin skinned, has kept me here) :topic:

Since we are mostly messing with minds and all that.

Kempofist has not answered many of my inquiries. Not a biggie I am just enjoying kicking a few ant hills. :saz:

John set the tone here, just following suit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kempo

I don't think it is relative to the new finds on Jupiter, do you?

Kenpo may also refer to the Constitution of Japan (憲法) (This is a big hint Kempofist).

Gary

20. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

Any thoughts on that kanji?