Stupid illegal weapons rules

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by nzric, Dec 5, 2003.

1. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

I 100% sure there is no blade-inch rule for concealed knives in California, 'cause I read the statutes and the cases. I'm a lawyer and a reformed knife fighter and I went to law school in California, so I'm supposed to know these things.

Concealed: bad
    Visible: good
    Folding knife that's closed: good no matter where you put it

2. Taiso

Taiso New Member

i don't see point of having laws which only allow maximum knife lengths if your going to hurt someone with knife it doesn't matter how long it is and the shorter it is the easier it is to conceal while out and about.

A question for a lawyer or someone who knows about. Would a spear with metal tip which is within the law be ok as the blade is legal just attatched to a long pole?

3. Mind Aflame

Mind Aflame New Member

I can't believe that Bo and Jo staffs are illegal. They are just other names for a stick and how the hell can carrying a stick be illegal? There are far more dangerous things around than sticks that are totaly legal to carry.
    Also I don't know what the laws are like in America but recently in England it has become illegal to carry a screwdriver without due cause. 1984 or what!

4. Meshugener87

Meshugener87 New Member

anyone know about the laws in Boston? I'm moving there soon and I want to start learning to use a katana. Is it illegal to walk around with one?

5. oni_sensei

oni_sensei Valued Member

Possibly if it's unsheathed. It may be allowable if the sword is in it's saya, and wrapped or in a case. That way, it can't be concealed, nor is it immediately readily available. I'm not sure about the laws, but I've heard that's about the only way to carry them in public.

6. killbill

killbill New Member

two words, california sucks.
    i hate the laws here.

7. Nevada_MO_Guy

Nevada_MO_Guy Missouri_Karate_Guy

General Laws Of Massachusetts

Looks like you can get into some pretty serious stuff with a katana.

I'm reading 2-1/2 to 5 years in state prison or 6 months to 2 years in jail? Just for having the thing in your possesion...or....in your car.

Here is the link:
    http://pweb.netcom.com/~brlevine/ma.txt

8. Meshugener87

Meshugener87 New Member

hmm..that seems a little harsh, but they dont mention anything similar to a katana except a cane sword. They only talk about switchblades and the like. I wonder if katanas are different?

9. Kalifallen

Kalifallen looking for partner

Bad things about CA: taxes, prices, and unclear laws.

It says in the state law that shuriken - a three or more pointed throwing object in the shape of a star, triangle, etc. BUT they will sell you a weapon that looks like a shuriken. At John T's (a store at my mall) they sell throwing glaives. It is a three knife bladed shuriken style throwing star. Cool but is a little too big to conceal unless you had the pouch strapped to your blet or in your pocket.

Plus, one of the weirdest things is a sai and shuko (hand claws) are all right you use/have in CA but for some weird reason we can't buy them from Internet stores. What the heck is up with that?!

CA Illegal weapons:
    Shinobi-zue, shuriken, nunchuku (bad Bruce Lee wannabe's), cane sword, and dirk (any knife that is fixed and longer than 3"). The others are firearms and really old weapons like a sap (its like a billy club).

10. Pajama 51

Pajama 51 New Member

How do I find the weapon restrictions for Arkansas? I keep Googling but all I get is this firearms crap.

Arkansas sites are designed so horribly. >_<

11. FuzzyHead

FuzzyHead New Member

I can tell you a little bit about Oregon laws. Nunchaku are legal as long as they aren't concealed, though explain that one to the cops. To conceal nunchaku you need a CCW permit. Which if I move back there, I'm gonna call and ask how one gets a permit to just conceal nunchaku.

166.240 Carrying of concealed weapons. (1) Except as provided in subsection (2) of this section, any person who carries concealed upon the person any knife having a blade that projects or swings into position by force of a spring or by centrifugal force, any dirk, dagger, ice pick, slungshot, metal knuckles, or any similar instrument by the use of which injury could be inflicted upon the person or property of any other person, commits a Class B misdemeanor.

Upon looking at that, I might need to get a permit for my knife as well. I carry a Kershaw Ken Onion, Blackout, model from Wal-Mart. Although, I believe that having the clip, might make it a visible weapon.

Basically with most other weapons you just can't take them into public places.

One could, hypothetically speaking in OR, go into a place, besides school or government building, with a gun in holster that's visible and not have a problem.

Of course, right now I'm living in CA for school reasons so I really do need to know the Laws of this state. I already know my chucks are illegal, but they stay in their box for the time being.

12. munkiejunkie

munkiejunkie sanity's requiem

If they want to ban Bos and Jos, they should arrest trees becase they have branches

13. zenmonk

zenmonk Valued Member

I wonder if carrying a baseball bat is illegal? How about brooms? :)

14. if you carry a baseball bat to play baseball its not illegal, but if you carry baseball bat not for playing baseball its illegal. if you have a walking stick its not illegal, but if you have a walking stick, but you dont need it, its illegal...

stupid rules.... :woo:

15. ZenPolice

ZenPolice New Member

Do you have a permit for that banana?

16. TheMightyMcClaw

TheMightyMcClaw Dashing Space Pirate

And this is precisely why I love China. I only spent about two months there, but here are things I notice:

1. People walking down the street with swords. Primarily middle-aged women going to the park to practice Taijiquan.
    2. Myself walking through the park, (specifically through a crowd of small children) with a sword drawn (it was towards the end of my stay, and my teacher wanted to get some photos of me doing wushu). No one stopped me, except to take my picture.
    3. My personal favorite.... in a martial arts store, they had a shelf dedicated to knuckledusters. This included spiked knuckledusters and plastic knuckledusters. Take that, metal detectors.

They did, however take my teachers chain whip when we flew to Fujian. I think it was only because he put it on his carry-on luggage (though I hear China has crazy laws regarding taking weapons on domestic flights). I was never bothered about the numerous swords in my checked luggage flying back to the U.S. The guys in the US airport freaked a little bit, but they didn't confiscate them or anything.

17. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

In the UK throwing stars are ilegal but bo-shuriken are legal (not to cary as weapons but to train with) Death Stars are specifically mentioned and I agree, the public should not have weapons that can destroy planets :rolleyes:

18. zhongding37

zhongding37 Valued Member

america

ummmM but guns are legal?

19. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil wants to go climbing...

That's the first thing I thought when I read that post.
    Can't have those but a Mac10 etc is allowed. Pft, stupid country.

20. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

In Canada, the law is concerned with the intent than the actual weapon. I can walk around with my sharp longsword, provided it's in a bag (I keep mine in a scabbard, in a rifle case, in a bag) or something, and I'm on my way to a practice/demo. Articulated weapons are illegal (flail, etc), but can be purchased if you are a collector, which IIRC you have to have X amount of legal weapons. You are also allowed (at least in Alberta) to carry a fixed blade knife (up to the size of a K-Bar) in a sheath on your hip. I wouldn't walk into a bank with one, though. ;)

Keep in mind, I Am Not a Lawyer, so all the advice is IMO, IIRC, and not to be construed as legal advice, merely gossip. ;)

Best regards,

-Mark