Stupid illegal weapons rules

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by nzric, Dec 5, 2003.

1. I am planing to learn some martial arts with weapons, BUT I'M IN CANADA!!! They don't allow weapons in Canada. Well, it's good that we are safe from guns here, but this is a disapointment to all the martial artists learning to fight with weapons.

2. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

It's really hard not to laugh at some of the statutes in individual states. In Arizona nunchaku are illegal to carry unless you are coming from or going to a MA class. But with between one to two thousand bucks, a few weeks and the right paperwork I can carry a concealed handgun. In the U.S. in general being shot is still a more likely case. Millions of legal and illegal handguns out there and I get funny looks carrying a dao between the car and the school. heh, Go figure.

3. undead_ninja

undead_ninja New Member

Yeah cool huh? The one thing that sux is my parents won't let me have anything:(
    the only weapons i own are my knife which is about 10 or 12 inches long and a 4 inch throwing knife

4. Pasante

Pasante New Member

If I was going to kit out a private army (though I wouldn't do *that* again... not after last time, it's all politics these days) I'd go to a DIY store.

I mean you can buy yourself a pick axe, a normal axe, chain saws, big ol' lengths of chain, hammers of varying sizes, white plastic doors... the list is endless.

Onviously all the laws mentioned above would stop you just carrying them around in public but they're much easier to come by and just as deadly I'd say...

5. El Tejon

El Tejon MAP'scrazyuncle

Everything discussed is just fine here in Indiana (yes, even those silly brass knuckles). No law against possession or carrying.

Of course, I use a wooden pair of baat jam dao when I practice my WC swords in public like on a bridge or a park. No reason to alarm the soccermommies!:D (That's footballmummies to our chumleys).;)

6. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

Its probably a very good I dea to use wooden weapons whne in public, mostly because there is tha chance taht you might get busted for brandishing a weapon. Which is illegal here, dont know aobut Indiana. ANd its always a good idea not to scare the 'normals' :D

7. El Tejon

El Tejon MAP'scrazyuncle

Cudgel, no "brandishing" here (seems to be a Southern thing). There is Criminal Recklessness, but I keep to myself and tend NOT to throw my weapons about!

8. The Kestrel

The Kestrel Valued Member

I always have to use wooden spears without blade.
    :(
    Metal spears are too heavy here.

9. undead_ninja

undead_ninja New Member

Yeah, California's a pretty boring state cuz they dont let you have anything here though you can carry swords in public!

10. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

But yet you cant carry a loaded firearm in the open. :woo:

11. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

sure they do, just not ALL weapons.

I'm canadian, and I teach weapons classes ;)

12. Well yah. But I wanted to learn Iaido (Japanese sword art) I don't think they allow to walk around with a sword on a street...

13. El Tejon

El Tejon MAP'scrazyuncle

IVP, don't know about your criminal statutes up there, but if you can't carry a sword, how about a wooden training sword. Or, is that an illegal club up there?

I forget how lucky I am not having those hassles. Hope you don't let it spoil your quest for knowledge.

14. ...............

...I'll just shut up now...

15. El Tejon

El Tejon MAP'scrazyuncle

Sorry, IVP, just trying to offer an alternative.

16. It's okey.

17. undead_ninja

undead_ninja New Member

Bet your right ... but I dont care because my grandma dont sell loaded fire arms:)

18. Nevada_MO_Guy

Nevada_MO_Guy Missouri_Karate_Guy

Officier it is not a weapon it is.....

What if your percieved "weapon" could be classified as a heirloom, an antique or (if your are totaly devoted to your training) a religious artifact used for your personal growth?

19. Nevada_MO_Guy

Nevada_MO_Guy Missouri_Karate_Guy

20. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Tell me the statute. I want to read it. I'm a lawyer, okay? A couple or three years ago I researched the knife laws in New York, and I sure don't remember anything about a permit for knives.