Stupid illegal weapons rules

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by nzric, Dec 5, 2003.

1. Greg-VT

Greg-VT Peasant

There is law up in Queensland regarding Nunchaku.

They can legaly be sold to anyone who trains in MAs. But it is illegal to sell to anyone else (similar the law US law meantioned above).

Nunchaku are illegal here in NSW, BUT it is LEGAL for you to order one from a store in Queensland, and legal for them to send you one.

2. xplasma

xplasma Banned Banned

I was referring to New York law which tends to more strict then most states. Second the permit is too carry it on your person. Owning it and using it for hunting (assuming you have a hunting permit) is fine. Carrying it in your pocket to the store is illegal. The limit is 6" in NY and 4" in NYC

3. Sub zero

Sub zero Valued Member

To myknowlege under the brutal weapons act (i thin that's it) you may have nunchucks if ur over 18 or all the other MA questions i've come across.

But i did see somethingthat in some weapons you do have to have an MA liscence.

As mentioned on this forum before as long as they are not easily accesable (eg under lock and key or in a bag) when not in use or transporting them to a place where u use them for practice then there completly legal.

My instructor brought back about 5-10 chinese broadswords form america to scotland, No papers or anything , he just declared them and told them theywere for MA use. No problems. Maybe that's a little worrying. That was pre 9/11 tho........

FOr example my lovely new butterfly knives that i'm getting for Xmas are perfectly legal. http://www.wushudirect.co.uk/acatalog/Knives.html

:D

Last edited: Dec 6, 2003
  4. RubyMoon

RubyMoon New Member

Nice! Those are lovely. :)

5. Taiso

Taiso New Member

the police and people where i live don't seem to fussed about weapons as i tend to practise with my nunchuks 3 sectional staff and sword on a football field surrounded by houses and no one takes any notice :D

6. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

AS long as you arent a nuisance about weapons the cops sorta dont see you, I practice stick fighting in a park and the seriff Department is right next to the park and cops are always driving past. They pay us no never mind.

7. unexist

unexist New Member

well here in colorado, anything that CAN be used as a weapon is illegal, if the police deem it so.sometimes they'll give you back your legal length pocket knife.

8. Sub zero

Sub zero Valued Member

Yep very chuffed!:D

Plus my gf is getting for me :D ;) :cool:

9. Shaolin Dragon

Shaolin Dragon Born again martial artist

I dug up this list of prohibited weapons in the UK - it is illegal to own, buy, sell or make anything on this list:

1988 No. 2019
    CRIMINAL LAW, ENGLAND AND WALES CRIMINAL LAW, NORTHERN IRELAND CRIMINAL LAW, SCOTLAND
    The Criminal Justice Act 1988 (Offensive Weapons) Order 1988

1. Section 141 of the Criminal Justice Act 1988 (offensive weapons) shall apply to the following descriptions of weapons, other than weapons of those descriptions which are antiques for the purposes of this Schedule:
    (a) a knuckleduster, that is, a band of metal or other hard material worn on one or more fingers, and designed to cause injury, and any weapon incorporating a knuckleduster;
    (b) a swordstick, that is, a hollow walking-stick or cane containing a blade which may be used as a sword;
    (c) the weapon sometimes known as a "handclaw" , being a band of metal or other hard material from which a number of sharp spikes protrude, and worn around the hand;
    (d) the weapon sometimes known as a "belt buckle knife" , being a buckle which incorporates or conceals a knife;
    (e) the weapon sometimes known as a "push dagger" , being a knife the handle of which fits within a clenched fist and the blade of which protrudes from between two fingers;

(f) the weapon sometimes known as a "hollow kubotan" , being a cylindrical container containing a number of sharp spikes;

(g) the weapon sometimes known as a "footclaw" , being a bar of metal or other hard material from which a number of sharp spikes protrude, and worn strapped to the foot;
    (h) the weapon sometimes known as a "shuriken" , "shaken" or "death star" , being a hard non-flexible plate having three or more sharp radiating points and designed to be thrown;
    (i) the weapon sometimes known as a "balisong" or "butterfly knife" , being a blade enclosed by its handle, which is designed to split down the middle, without the operation of a spring or other mechanical means, to reveal the blade;
    (j) the weapon sometimes known as a "telescopic truncheon" , being a truncheon which extends automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in or attached to its handle;
    (k) the weapon sometimes known as a "blowpipe" or "blow gun" , being a hollow tube out of which hard pellets or darts are shot by the use of breath;
    (l) the weapon sometimes known as a "kusari gama" , being a length of rope, cord, wire or chain fastened at one end to a sickle;
    (m) the weapon sometimes known as a "kyoketsu shoge" , being a length of rope, cord, wire or chain fastened at one end to a hooked knife;
    (n) the weapon sometimes known as a "manrikigusari" or "kusari" , being a length of rope, cord, wire or chain fastened at each end to a hard weight or hand grip;
    2. For the purposes of this Schedule, a weapon is an antique if it was manufactured more than 100 years before the date of any offence alleged to have been committed in respect of that weapon under subsection (1) of the said section 141 or section 50(2) or (3) of the Customs and Excise Management Act 1979[2] (improper importation).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Notes:

[2] 1979 c.

2002 Update

2. This Order extends to England, Wales and Northern Ireland only.

3. The Schedule to the Criminal Justice Act 1988 (Offensive Weapons) Order 1988[2], which specifies offensive weapons for the purposes of section 141 of the Criminal Justice Act 1988, shall be amended by the insertion into paragraph 1 of that Schedule after sub-paragraph (n) the words -
    " (o) a disguised knife, that is any knife which has a concealed blade or concealed sharp point and is designed to appear to be an everyday object of a kind commonly carried on the person or in a handbag, briefcase, or other hand luggage (such as a comb, brush, writing instrument, cigarette lighter, key, lipstick or telephone).".

10. Shaolin Dragon

Shaolin Dragon Born again martial artist

Note that "the weapon sometimes known as a "manrikigusari" or "kusari" , being a length of rope, cord, wire or chain fastened at each end to a hard weight or hand grip;" applies to a weapon where the cord is longer than the weights attached, therefore nunchucku are not illegal to own in the UK, but a skipping rope is!:D

11. Sub zero

Sub zero Valued Member

LOL Shaolin Dragon

There are sooooooooooo many people who carry kobutons.

I'l stick tomy good old pen for the same tehcniques

12. God

God New Member

brass knuckles are illegal in a lot of places.

even without spikes

13. undead_ninja

undead_ninja New Member

u can carry most weapons in most states without worrying about length. you mostly have to worry about the length with concealable weapons . I'm pretty sure its 4 inches for concealed knives in california

14. booksie_girl

booksie_girl Lucy the Terrible

Coming from someone completely ignorant where weapons are concerned, but why should something like brass knuckles be leagal? I don't think there is an artform in using them, and I see no reason for them to be there and legal, for anyone desiring to misuse them.

15. Greg-VT

Greg-VT Peasant

Self-defence.

I only know of their legality in the US.

16. booksie_girl

booksie_girl Lucy the Terrible

My point was, for each person who carries it for self-defence, how many carry it for other reasons?

17. Cudgel

Im not aware of any length limit on concealed blades.
    But its been like three months since I last looked up the concealed carry laws so something might have been changed. Doubtful however.
    Oh and rember laws can and ill change from county to county and city to city. So even thouhg I can carry anything not specifically ilegal according to the California laws doesnt mean some other city may have stricter weapon laws, always asked your friendly neighborhood cop, its one of their jobs to tell you the laws.

18. undead_ninja

undead_ninja New Member

MY Grandmother sell knives and swords and spears and the such so i usually ask her but its been awhile...
    i know u can carry swords and spears and stuff without having to worry about the cops doing anything other than loo at you funny note:IN CALIFORNIA
    and about the brass knukles gangs use them all the time thats why my grandma sell them as "paper weights"...

19. undead_ninja

undead_ninja New Member

When i say gangs use them im saying their ilegal in california thats why my grandma has to sell them as "paperweights" or "belt buckles"

20. Cudgel

I love "paper weights" My Step dad has one I think it's funny.

Wait a sec. Your Grandma sells weapons?
    *stunned blinking*