Stupid drinking game

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by GSHAMBROOKE, Feb 4, 2014.

1. GSHAMBROOKE

GSHAMBROOKE Thats Tarm Sarm

2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Not even in the top ten dumbest drinking games I've played over the years. People do stupid things and sometimes it gets them killed, but 99.999% of the time, it doesn't.

Crossing the street is probably statistically more dangerous than downing a pint of beer.

3. holyheadjch

Just one litre? Wimp.
    I've seen worse. Far, far, far worse.

4. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

What Holy said, I've heard of dumber. Hell ignoring drinking games we've already had a few deaths from kids deciding to swim in the sea during gales. People are stupid. Sometimes fatally so Perhaps that makes me cold but I'm very meh about the whole thing. Can certainly think of worse ways to go out too.

5. holyheadjch

I'm not sure what the jumping in the river (the cause of the Irish lad's death) actually had to do with the drinking game? The media has been doing a poor job of explaining the actual circumstances. It's not even clear what he was drinking.

6. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

Limiting detail to discourage copycatting I would think. Often done when they report suicides also.

7. holyheadjch

The part of the story that lead to his death has been reported though. He jumped into a swollen river in winter.

It just irritates me that journalists (most of whom would have been students at some point) act as if the sky is falling when students behave as they always have. I mean downing a bottle of wine is pretty tame by most fresher standards. It's effectively a warm up.

8. GSHAMBROOKE

GSHAMBROOKE Thats Tarm Sarm

Like I said that kind of thing has been going on ever since I can remember its not new I would say its more about the stupid things that people do while under the influence like stunts is more the issue and going swimming is very dangerous.

9. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

The first thing I thought of when I read the title of this thread was: Is there another kind? :)

10. aka The Clerk

aka The Clerk Valued Member

I'd never heard of this drinking game before this thread and article. I wonder if they're doing more harm than good by spreading the word. How many are now going to be thinking 'hey what a great idea, I never would have thought of it myself.'

11. holyheadjch

More likely they're thinking 'we have to wait to get nominated before drinking? Where's the point in that?'

My biggest problem with this particular drinking game is how lame it is. The alcohol intake/effort ratio is way too low.

12. Rhythmkiller

Rhythmkiller Animo Non Astutia

Stupidest drinking game i have ever witnessed and chickened out of was the forefit ended with the participants drinking vodka/absynth trough there eye. Apparently it hits you quicker.

Baza

13. aka The Clerk

aka The Clerk Valued Member

Doesn't anybody just sit in the bar and drink their faces off anymore?

14. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

You should see some of the ones that have been on my fb news feed. They vary from the mild to the 'you should now get your stomach pumped' in alcohol content, and that's excluding some of the disgusting extra mixers that have been added.

15. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

In the UK it is seen as a right of passage after hitting 18 to get mullered as quickly and efficiently as possible, this is just a extension of it and it has always been there i.e. yard of ale, dentist chair, drink as much as you like clubs and other promotions.

I have spent alot of time in Spain where children are allowed to have a small glass of wine with their meals and learn from an early age to respect alcohol and do not have the same epidemic issue with people of age abusing drink...

Cheers

Dan

16. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Pretty sure children are allowed a glass of wine with a meal, publicly, here in the UK as well. Not sure what the minimum age is though. Think it's 14.

I could be wrong mind.

17. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Not sure on that but the difference from what I see is that it is an excepted cultural thing for kids at home to be allowed to have a small glass of wine with their meal. Spanish Mappers will possibly elaborate on this..

Cheers

Dan

18. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

I've always considered myself luck that I can't really drink. It's noticing e if I've had a pint, I'm very merry after 2 and 5 is exceptional. Once I go past my limit the room spins and I need my bed. I've always looked at this as an advantage but lack the skill to judge the time delay on consumption :)
    It's what kids have always done but now it has a new name and somebody always has a camera. Part of growing up

19. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

I think they can out and I'm not sure if there's is any limit away from licensed premises. Big question would be why? And that question gets much bigger if anything happens to the child whether drink related or not

20. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

As I understand it, 16 with a meal, 18 without. In the privacy of your home or in other private property, you can be 5 and be allowed to drink.

I never did the dentists' chair, yard of ale or anything similar when I turned 18. Hell, I was even offered a bong, cigs and joints and refused. 'Cos I have no life :p. Seriously though, I can't get why people would go out and get plastered. People are even more obnoxious drunk than they are sober.