Stuff :)

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Moi, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Can it make you happy? Whether it's material stuff or extreme exercise. Is there a difference?
    Are the super rich happy just using their money or do you need the home comforts of a normal? Life?

2. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Anyone who says money can't buy happiness is spending it wrong :p

I don't think there's a clean answer to that. It depends on personality type (If you're an incredibly social person then I would think money isn't going to make you happier than a poorer person with a large social circle) age, and when you became rich. If you're born into wealth then I doubt it means much since its just what you're used to. If you become rich then assuming you don't splurge it up the wall I don't see how it couldn't possibly make you happier.

That said I do remember being told that your brain evens itself out so eventually the happens of just having money would diminish.

3. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

define happy?

4. mattt

mattt Valued Member

Money gets you the option to get stuff, but most stuff provides transient happiness. Normal life isn't needed, a purpose in life is needed for happiness, a pursuit. It's all about the chase.

5. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

I think that stuff can make you happy. I think that exercise can make you happy. I think for most people there is a point of diminishing returns though. If I don't have a guitar, getting even a crappy one will make me happier. Trading in the crappy one for a nice one will make me happier still. Having 2 guitars won't make me twice as happy though, maybe only slightly happier. You can get to the point where you have too much stuff, and it is making you unhappy rather than happier. I guess that point varies from person to person, I don't have the need for a tremendous amount of stuff - but it sure is good to have a few things.

Money can't buy happiness, not exactly. But having a little money when you have went a few years without can make you feel better. It makes you thankful at least.

6. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

Can stuff make you happy? Sure. Can exercising a lot make you happy Sure.

7. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Money can't buy you happiness, but it's better to cry in a Bentley than on a bike.

8. Moi

Content might be a better word?

9. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

Money can't buy happiness but it sure as hell makes the search easier.

That's Today's Truism of the Day (tm) :D

10. Moi

Stuff certainly makes you more comfortable but as for real happiness? That's people in your life I think?

11. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Lol thats exactly what some girl on a Chinese dating show said...

Can stuff make you happy? I dunno but you I know I definately need a roof over my head, training kit and a kitchen.

And internet for stuff...

12. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

I'm not happy unless I am training. It really is the one big thing that makes me unhappy nowadays.

13. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I would say so but money is still a very important part of being able to do that. Its hard to remember to be thankful for the people you have when most days are a constant stream of hassles to do with trying to find money for X Y and Z. The happiness itself comes from people, but I think you need money to be able to fully appreciate and be able to access that happiness. I mean how many people have you known who were in relationships with people who made them happy but they never enjoyed it or the relationship was ruined because of money?

14. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

depends on the stuff? more often than not, no single thing is going to keep you content forever (particularly given what southpaw already pointed out about your brain getting used to stuff and making you less happy over time given the same stimulus).

so, stuff (including interpersonal stuff) can make you content/happy as long as it's varied stuff that continuously satisfies your needs. if it's just material stuff and/or money, depends on how you use it; just having it is not going to act as a magical happiness totem that radiates serotonin everywhere.

15. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

It's down personal satisfaction imo.
    I've known people in really well paid jobs who aren't happy , despite the money , I've also known people in poorly paid jobs that love what they do and just live to their means.
    I'm not saying money can't make you happy , I certainly think it helps , just that it's just one component of overall happiness.

16. mattt

mattt Valued Member

I think that you have to be happy in yourself in order to be able to appreciate the people in your life and both give and get 'happiness' from them. EG if you are suffering from depression the best people around you may not be able to crack through that shell.

Money reduces some psychological barriers towards accepting failure but really is a placebo; I have achieved as much without money as with money. EG people won't quit their crappy job to travel the world on a boat because of fear of it not working out and them not having the money to start up again, or won't leave the UK to train martial arts in Japan as they have no savings and no job there and are scared of failing (those last two examples I did with no money BTW).

And lastly, it isn't about having money that is important, it is about having the ability to generate money when needed. Anyone can spend money on stuff, but not everyone can polish a turd and turn it into cash.

17. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Stuff doesn't make you happy.

We all know what makes you happy.

Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentation of the women!

Mitchnan

18. Moi

I don't really have any? I'm sure there's plenty that dislike me :rolleyes: but I bear no malice to anyone.
    Need a better plan! ..........involving stuff :evil:

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  19. Moi

I'm convinced I should increase my stuff for a short term goal experience to see for myself.
    I blame you guys if I'm not ecstatically happy tomorrow

20. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

Admit it, they're all under the cabbage and tomatoes. :D