Study: Americans sicker than English

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Nevada_MO_Guy, May 3, 2006.

1. Nevada_MO_Guy

Nevada_MO_Guy Missouri_Karate_Guy

Since there seems to be a few English folk on here, thought they could share their secrets for health :)

Is it the Tea? :D

http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/05/02/sick.america.ap/index.html

"At every point in the social hierarchy there is more illness in the United States than in England and the differences are really dramatic," said study co-author Dr. Michael Marmot, an epidemiologist at University College London in England.

"Everybody should be discussing it: Why isn't the richest country in the world the healthiest country in the world?" Marmot said.

2. We don't have a fast food "restaraunt" every 30 metres?

3. Nevada_MO_Guy

Nevada_MO_Guy Missouri_Karate_Guy

Sometimes they are on both sides of the street too. McDonalds to the left....Burger King to the right.....which to choose :confused:

4. Combatant

Combatant Monsiour Fitness himself.

Your problems are high sugar, high salt, high preservatives, and food that is highly processed.

I've had american bread before and even that tastes like it has got sugar in it. I put american butter on it and i could taste the salt really bad. :bang:

But you do have very good meat in America.

5. Hehe. Well seriously. The article says that Americans are suffering from much more diabetes and heart attacks etc. They're all directly linked to how much fast food you guys eat.

6. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil wants to go climbing...

We don't have a fast food "restaraunt" every 30 metres?

Yep...same reason the Irish are more drunk than anyone else. Pubs every 15 metres.
    Hozzah!

But yeah, the average yank is one lazy SOB.

7. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

You're joking, right?

US cattle are pumped full of growth hormones. So you get nice fat juicy steaks which taste of....... nothing.

Unless organic meat is catching on big-time over there?

8. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

There's a recent article on t-nation that discusses that issue, and it basically dismisses the fact that the hormones have any health impact at all. I think it is mostly due to the fact that America uses cattle full of hormones, and Europe uses bulls that have much higher hormone levels naturally.

9. Athleng Nordic

Athleng Nordic Sadly passed away. RIP. Supporter

Combatant hit it on the head. Most lard-asses that say they have a thyorid condition spend too much time eating Lean Cuisine and Snack Wells. Way too much processing, sugar and salt in our foods. And Johnno is also correct. Growth hormones are HUGH here, but the organic is catching on quick.

10. Taff

Taff The Inevitable Hulk

Funny, I'm sure that I read an article on t-nation where one of their guys got into a real testirage flinging "facts" left right and centre about how Americans are the strongest and healthiest people in the world.

11. Cyrax

Cyrax Forever Student

fast food...duh

12. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

We claim to be healthy, but we have an obessity problem, a childhood obessity problem, a children's diabetic problem, and yet we do nothing to change it. Of course my son is in TKD everyday after he gets out of school. He will be there all summer too. This is his choice. He tried baseball too and loved that but it gets too hot in the summer. He loves to swim and does that. He eats as healthy as I do because I cook for the family. He does not get "processed" foods. Oh well, we will rule the world together! :D :Angel:

13. BigRed389

BigRed389 Valued Member

Europeans in general are healthier, the Continent is even healthier than England on average i believe.

One of the "problems" in America is that we work harder, longer, and well basically in adds up to being stupider. For example, the French and Germans consider the American work schedule to be obscene. Quite frankly, I somewhat agree, although i find their system too laid back. There has to be a happy middle ground.

High stress levels means we feel obligated to eat fast food, while the penny saver attitude also means spending money on quality food isn't exactly a priority. Add that to bad exercise habits and you've got a major problem.

14. Topher

Topher allo!

There's like 3 McD's in Kings Cross all within eye distance!

15. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

That's an easy one, american's pay up on their insurance so they don't have to worry about staying healthy.

Us english on the other hand get scare stories about our health service every day, and do more to avoid a visit to the doctors :D.

16. hapkidofighter

hapkidofighter Valued Member

where i live in LA (i know thats probably alot different from the rest of america) i see almost no one smoking, most people in this city are really healthy, at least where i live. everytime i go back to england and visit family- everyone drinks and smokes non stop- every resteraunt i go into is full of smoke. and people who are in there 50's around where i live look like 30 year old english people.

17. Incredible Bulk

Incredible Bulk Eat-Lift-Eat-Sleep-Grow

sad to say... where i live, the local area of North End (small shopping area along a main road) has:

dominoes pizza
    speedy pizza
    kens kebabs
    uncle sams (burgers)
    2 indians
    mac donalds
    kfc
    subway
    kebab shop

all in 400 metres, junk food alley :eek:

18. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

I thought Subway wasn't too bad? As for Indians, are they really in the same league as junk food?

19. Incredible Bulk

Incredible Bulk Eat-Lift-Eat-Sleep-Grow

they are in the league of junk food! 1000 calories easy for a curry *gag*

subway is not too bad, just easy on their meatball and cheese foot longs :D

20. TheDarkJester

TheDarkJester 90% Sarcasm, 10% Mostly Good Advice.

Americans are stuck on convenience. Its a country of instant-gratification seekers.

I mean for example. Most people when getting coffee, like to enjoy it and wake up to it.. Where I live in Texas, every 5 minutes is a drive thru starbucks coffee..

Where I used to live, literally within 2 minutes drive.. we had a Burger King, Taco Bell, Taco Bueno, McDonalds, some chicken/fish fry place, KFC, Waffle House (YEEEAAYUH), Dennys, Ponchos (gross all you can eat mexican buffet), Whataburger, Jack in the box, wendys, plus a place down the way with some bomb ass BBQ...

Yet surprisingly enough.. Argentinians eat probably the most red meat I've ever seen, and their women are gorgeous!