Student to be extradited for piracy

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Putrid, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Putrid

Putrid Moved on

'Piracy' student Richard O'Dwyer loses extradition case over TVShack website

The 23-year-old Sheffield Hallam University student faces up to 10 years in a US federal prison for operating TVShack which US authorities say hosts links to pirated and copyrighted video content."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolo...es-extradition-case-over-TVShack-website.html

I wonder how many Somalian pirates have been extradited to the USA? At a guess I would say none as we all know what happened when the Americans tried their world policeman act in Somalia.

2. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

How many copyright infringers have been shot?

3. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

It's only January but I think we have a genuine contender for stupidest comparison of the year.

4. Putrid

Putrid Moved on

And how many have been jailed for ten years in this country? The penalty and hysterical response from the yanks is out of all proportion to the crime.

I think its a good comparison and shows the Americans for what they really are,blustering bullies who stick their noses in other people's affairs.Its just hunting after soft targets.

5. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

It wuld be more appropriate to compare the UK extradition to a thief, because that is what they are pursuing him as.

Somalian pirates as a general rule don't do a roaring trade in Justin Bieber CD's and downloads

6. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Frankly I think this extradition is ridiculous. If this guy has charges to answer then he should be held to account here in the UK. This trial is exactly why people in the UK should be paying attention to the SOPA/PIPA debates going on in the US. With extradition arrangements as they are at the moment. US copyright laws basically apply here in the UK when you're on-line. And the MPAA and the like are once again getting very aggressive on these matters.

7. Fu_Bag

Fu_Bag Valued Member

No self-respecting pirate would ever be in possession of a Justin Bieber CD. The Ninjas would have a field day over it.

Wow. That describes me perfectly. Thanks!

An article from today's news:

http://news.yahoo.com/white-house-concerned-over-online-piracy-bills-155307062.html

And it is a little odd not to go ahead and prosecute the guy where he's at. It doesn't sound like it was a very smart venture to begin with.

8. Hannibal

They are theives who go where the money is - hence Bieber is a good choice!

9. Fu_Bag

Fu_Bag Valued Member

Unfortunate on both counts...

10. Hannibal

Sadly yes!

11. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Putrid, if you break a law you should be punished. Just because you think its a dumb law or overzealous response doesn't make it wrong. If an American breaks a law in the UK and managed to make it back to the states w/o getting caught, he should be extradited to the UK for trial.

12. holyheadjch

But if an American committed a crime in the US, you wouldn't expect them to be extradited to the UK because the victim was British.

That is what is happening here.

13. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

American executives were prosecuted after the Bohpal disaster and held to be personally responsible by the courts... the US has refused to extradite those citizens in cases where it does not agree with the law of the land where the offence has taken place. I don't know whether our courts would agree with the punishments being suggested in the US.

Why should there be one rule for the goose and a different one for the gander? If they won't do it for other countries with major charges why does the British government roll over so easily and let them have this lad? Prosecute him here and let the law of the land see whether he is guilty or not... it is a farce that they should subject British citizens to foreign prosecution for crimes (alleged) committed in the UK.

LFD

14. Taff

Taff The Inevitable Hulk

I don't entirely agree with this.

15. Putrid

Putrid Moved on

I don't have a problem with this treaty being used for what it was intended for and that is the extradition of terrorists or those who have carried out serious crimes.This student wasn't in America,he was in the UK when he presumably carried out copyright infringement so I can't see what it has to do with America.If film studios feel they have been cheated out of money by his actions they should file a claim in the High Court in the UK.He hasn't been charged by British police so as far as I am concerned no criminal offence has been carried out.If he had carried out a criminal offence he would either be on police bail,charged with the offence or remanded in custody.

Every heard of Noraid? During the troubles a number of Americans aided and abetted mass murder on British soil.The British government should file charges and demand their extradition. Under our laws they could be facing up to forty years in jail before they are considered for parole.I can just imagine the reaction of Americans if such an action was to take place.

In this country we live under British and European law rather than the flawed and corrupt American "justice" system.

16. Fu_Bag

Fu_Bag Valued Member

Wow, Putrid, it kind of sounds like you have a problem with those Americans not being extradited to face trial and punishment for their crimes. Ironic.

Reality check for a moment. Any national that travels abroad is subject to the laws of the country they're in. The particular Americans you mentioned should be held accountable. I'd have no problem with it.

So, you have a problem with people comitting a crime and fleeing to back to their home country, but you don't have a problem with someone fleeing their home country, to intentionally break laws and thumb their nose at the laws that their citizenship holds them to? Interesting set of morals, there. Comes across as you're just blatantly anti-American with very flexible morals. How is it you're preaching from the moral high ground on this?

And wouldn't you sticking your nose in American business, with an American citizen, be doing the same thing you accuse your hated American enemies of doing? :rolleyes:

17. holyheadjch

When did Richard O'Dwyer ever step foot in the US
    Again, what crime did he ever commit on US soil?

I tell you what, we'll send you Richard O'Dwyer as soon as you send us all those Boston residents who funded terrorism in Northern Ireland during the 70's, 80's and 90's.

We wont hold our breath, mind.

18. Putrid

Putrid Moved on

I don't have a problem with them at all.I was simply demonstrating that its one rule for them and one rule for the rest of us.Personally I am not interested in what they did as the past is the past and hopefully the troubles are behind us.

They didn't travel abroad.The crimes they are presumed of carrying out were committed in America,ie,fundraising for a terrorist group.In my opinion if they have broken American laws they should be tried in America rather than the UK.

Mr O'Dwyer carried out his copyright infringement at his flat in Sheffield,England.The presumed offence has been carried out on British soil by a British citizen and he should be tried in a British court.If he was a British student studying in America I would be expect him to be tried in an American court.
    [/QUOTE]

I do not hate America.I have seriously problems with a treaty that can lead to British citizens being taken to a hostile foreign country and subject to draconian prison sentences for crimes that would only attract a fine in the UK.The main culprit is the spineless British government that caves into every little threat from a foreign power.

This is the story of Gary Mulgrew,a banker who was extradited to America in 2007.Makes interesting reading.In fact his treatment was worse than that of Simon Mann who was extradited to Equatorial Guinea which is run by a tinpot African dictatorship.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...merican-jail-alongside-wall-wall-psychos.html

19. Fu_Bag

Fu_Bag Valued Member

You're welcome to all those Boston residents! Take as many as you like. You'd probably have similar political views to many of them. :)

Edit: My bad. Got the wrong impression about what was going on. Yeah, I'm not behind that at all. Sorry, guys.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  20. Fu_Bag

Fu_Bag Valued Member

Putrid, now that I've got a clearer picture of what's actually going on, I thought about a scenario where the tables would be reversed.

If an American citizen amassed a large amount of British copyrighted media, and all of that media clearly stated what the penalties would be for making money off of broadcasting it without securing any rights from the copyright holders, I'd be okay with that American citizen being hauled off to a British court and having to endure the British penal system for knowingly breaking the law like that.

I don't like the idea of people being extradited from their home country to go and face trial in another country as that could open the doors for a lot of problems. But when the material you're making money off of clearly states that it's a crime to do so, and you do it anyway, figuring that you won't be held accountable because they can't come get you, that's not right either. So in this case, what would you suggest? Would it not be fair for them to face the same penalties that they would've faced in the U.S. but, instead, serve any prison time in a British prison and still be liable to the fines they accepted responsibility for when disregarding the copyright notices?