"stubborn belly fat"

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by tonyv107, Mar 18, 2011.

1. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

After wavering around 205 I have switched my supplements, and improved my nutrition from food instead of protein powders. Though I still use a powder I'm only getting about 50-60 grams of protein from it, so less then 50% my daily intake. I've dropped down to 195 and am 10 pounds within my goal 185+-.

My issue is that I can't seem to get rid of my belly fat/tire. Everything else is gone mostly all that's left is my stomach and love handles ( some in my thighs ). I know it's not a lack of muscle in the area because i can feel my abs and obliques and they can be seen if I lay on my back.

I don't think another 10 pounds would be enough to get rid of my belly if it is fat, but since I did lose about 70 pounds 2 years ago, could this just be extra skin from all the extra girth I had back then? If that's the case could I ever expect it to dissappear or am I cursed with it forever.

2. Socrastein

Socrastein The Boxing Philosopher

Do you know how to tell the difference between loose skin and a fold of fat? Can you pinch just the skin and pull it away, or when you grab are you getting a handful? It often depends on how quickly you lose the weight. I've lost 90 pounds total but only have a small bit of loose skin by my biceps which has been slowly going away as they get bigger. I also lost it gradually and I eat plenty of fats to maintain healthy cells/skin.

Assuming it's not skin, it's likely poor insulin sensitivity (too many carbs and/or carbs at the wrong times), high cortisol levels (too much aerobic exercise, high stress levels, poor sleep habits) or perhaps even high estrogen/low testosterone if it's also around your hips and thighs. Lots of things can cause this, including an abnormal amount of phytoestrogens in your diet (lots of soy is common) or chronic marijuana use.

It's hard to say without knowing a bit more about your diet, exercise routine, and lifestyle.

3. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

I didn't really keep track but I estimate that it took me around 4-6 months. Sometimes I look at myself in the mirror and I feel like I look the same lol. I

haven't been keeping to much track of the things I eat. I stay away from greasy foods, soda, fast food, juice etc. I eat a hearty breakfast, 2 egg scramble with veggies and turkey or if I'm rushing I get some yogurt with nuts, granola and frozen berries. I snack on fruits and veggies then for dinner I get some form of protein, chicken, tuna, lean beef, etc. I wouldn't call it a routine yet but I'm working on it.

I do a 2 day 5x5 upperbody/ lowerbody. And the only cardio I'm doing now is whatever we do in MT/MMA. We have a 3 minute timer with 60 rest running during classes. So it's all timed, bagwork, shadowboxing, pad work, sparring, rolling etc. I drink a shake after class with about 50-60g of protein and eat something small, usually steamed veggies about an hour or two before I sleep.

I do have an issue with low testosterone. I had my level checked about a year ago and it was on the borderline of too low. At the time I was lifting + 30-40 minute jogs after( boy was THAT a horrible routine lol. No strength gains but atleast I lost weight). I had it checked due to an issue I had with standing at attention.

Edit Oh and yea I can still grab a handful so I guess it ain't extra skin then lol.

4. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

Just another update. I've reached my goal of 185 and have set a new one at 170. I can't see a visible difference from when I was 195 to now and my belly is still loose. It's emberassing to ask this, but I'd rather do it anonomously. I have started to consider getting a tummy tuck. I feel that I've spent all this time and effort getting in shape, improving my eating habits and staying active. Yet I still feel self conscious about my stomach. I'm just interested in hearing others opinions and if they've had it done themselves.

5. d0ugbug

d0ugbug learning to smile

Your 23 avoid the tummy tuck!!! It will come over time just keep at it. I got really big thighs something I can't help but all I do is lift and push as much weight as I can to get them as strong as possible

6. Osu,

Ahhhhh, the last layers of fat are the hardest to make go...

Grab a kettle bell - start swinging - 250 swings first thing in the morning for one month. :)
    Don't change anything else.

Sorted.

Osu!

7. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

You just inspired me to buy some kettlebells!

8. Osu,

Great!
    Looking forward to your pics. :)

Osu!

9. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

TonyV I know your pain!

Ever since I started my job about 5yrs ago, which basically has me sitting in front of a computer for 12hrs a day. Because of my new (and private life killing) schedule. I couldnt train and ballooned to about +95kg.

Now I've got back to training and compete at 80kg in wrestling, generally walk around weight is about 84kg. But I still got this soft part in my lower back which I just cant get rid off! Even when I was in China, sweltering heat of 40' everyday for a month.
    I came back weighing about 75kg and it was still there!!

10. jumpfor joy

jumpfor joy Valued Member

I hate belly fat! Good luck...Im working on it too :)

11. benkei

benkei Valued Member

Stay away from sugar and any sort of carb as much as possible except after working out.
    Work out high intensity for short periods of time
    Get good sleep
    Relax - Seriously, a stressful job, commute, home life and everything in general is really bad for cortisol levels, which means you don't lose that fat.
    Get plenty of sunshine
    Stand up as much as possible - I've started standing at my computer at work rather than sitting and it makes a huge difference to metabolism

Get those things sorted and you are looking good. I'm 30 and I managed to get rid of that belly fat once I started living more primally. I'm sure it will help you too.

12. Master Betty

Master Betty Banned Banned

simple maths:

eat less energy and use more. sorted. That's the essence of fat loss right there. If you're wanting to do other things like build explosive power, body build or anything else then it gets more detailed. But if all you're looking to do is lose fat, simply make a calorie deficit in your diet for a couple months while you get your fitness up to a point where you can go back to eating what you want but maintain the bodyfat level.

13. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

Yeaa I never took stress levels into consideration. I do tend to get stressed when driving, I'll try to cool it next time.