stronglift 5x5 anyone tried it?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by LeighB, Dec 5, 2009.

1. LeighB

LeighB Valued Member

2. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Looks pretty solid to me. Not sure why they only have you doing the one set of deadlifts though, I'm guessing they want you to warm up before you do them.

3. Ryan-T

Ryan-T Shito-Ryu

Its awesome man. Follow the guide exactly and get a buddy to go with you so you don't get bored/have a spotter.

It won't get you cut or sexy looking, but it WILL make you crazy strong.

4. righty

righty Valued Member

I've been reading about this looking at planning a...plan.

Let me get this right, is the idea you start the program as a weight training beginner and start with the bars at a lighter weight than what you can handle in one workout.

In other words, start with an empty bar and increase every workout until you reach your current strength limit.

5. benkei

benkei Valued Member

I was on it for about 6 months before I started making changes to it. It is an awesome starting off point and as said already, will make you very strong very fast. Important things to note:

Eat plenty and eat clean - you will find yourself hungrier than you've ever been.

Get plenty of rest - Because even with adequate sleep you will be sore, so don't be out partying and barely sleeping or you will be sabotaging yourself.

Not sure if this is important, but you will get super horny once you start lifting really heavy. The amount of testosterone that lifting heavy puts into your system will have you running after your partner all the time :D

6. Ryan-T

Ryan-T Shito-Ryu

Aye :)

Exercise A:

5x5 Squats
    5x5 Bench presses
    5x5 inverted rows (think bench presses but you pull yourself up to the bar, and instead of your back on the bench your heels are on a bench)
    3xFailure (as many sets of 3 till you fail) of Push ups
    3x10 Reverse crunches (knees to chest)

Exercise B:

5x5 Squats
    1x5 dead lifts (You start with 85 pounds instead of 45 for dead lifts)
    5x5 overheads (dead lift bar, pull to chest, extend overhead)
    3 sets of prone bridges for (forgot minutes, exercise is basically in a push up position, but resting on just your forearms/toes)
    3xFailure pull ups/chin ups (alternate every workout)

If your body fat is real high, you also do 15 minutes of cardio after every completed exercise session, then add 1 minute every day you work out till you can do 45 minutes straight of cardio.

You start with 45 pounds, just the olympic bar and add 5 pounds every workout till you max, then deducts like 10%, then add 5 next workout.

Basically it power builds your strength quickly, and the average person can go for a a few weeks before they start meeting heavy resistance in lifts. Another good quality of this plan is that you learn good form by using light weight first. Form is INCREDIBLY important with free weights and when doing exercises like a squat or overhead or dead lift. Bad form can mess up your back.

We had a friend start the plan who thought he could easily do 85 pound squats. Seconds later hes over sideways with the bar dragging the ground begging us to help get it off him. So just be careful, humble and start with light weights :)

7. Ryan-T

Ryan-T Shito-Ryu

rofl, yeah the added testosterone had me strutting with my head up high for quite awhile.

8. righty

righty Valued Member

You dont' have to do the dead lift part for this and can start from the shoulders.

I have been looking around for a good program to start into. I just read the pdf available and it answers a lot of questions. I think I might give it a go as it seems fairly simple and easy to follow.

What I like so far...
    -Is quite simple - no fancy exercises
    -Gives quite detailed instructions
    -Spreadsheet is already done up for you

What I don't like
    -Lack of flexibility. I would like to replace the barbell with dumbbells for variety. But this is big a no-no according to instructions.
    -I doubt the workout will fit into 45 minutes as you get heavier.

I guess I'll see how I go then.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
  9. LeighB

LeighB Valued Member

yeah well ive been doin a variation , i dont do as many sets beacause if i do 5 its not heavy enough , and if find a weight i can only do with 5 reps i cant do 5 sets of it , its really weird.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
  10. Patrick Smith

Patrick Smith Tustom Cuser Uitle

What's your resting time between sets? It should probably be around 2-5 minutes.

11. Ryan-T

Ryan-T Shito-Ryu

About a minute per set.

12. LeighB

LeighB Valued Member

yeah i rest about a minute sometimes i'll rest 3 minutes if im desprately trying to get a set in , but sometimes that doesnt even work

13. Ste_88

Ste_88 Valued Member

I am having some excellent results with 5x5. I tend to throw in some 10x10 on occasion for some endurance.

14. special43543

special43543 Special Member

I am new to weightlifting, so my brother suggested this program to me. I have been on it for a few weeks, and not totally happy with it.

I feel like I need to be doing more to work out my chest/biceps. I am benching 125lbs right now, and feel I should be able to do much more. I'm 5'10 and 165lbs.

Should I incorporate some dumbbell lifts?

15. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Give it time. Weight training won't turn you into Hercules overnight. It's a long process but the results are worth it.

16. benkei

benkei Valued Member

To quote what is said on the website: "Weight training is a marathon, not a sprint".

Be patient and don't mess around with it. You said yourself you're new to weightlifting, which means you know sweet f... all. That's not a criticism, it's a fact. When you are squatting at least 1.5x your body weight, then come back and ask questions.....

17. righty

righty Valued Member

If you were really following the 5x5 to the letter you wouldn't be benching 125lbs at all.

How many weeks have you been doing it for?

No.
    There is a 5x5 dumbbell program if you want to switch to it.

The whole point of the 5x5 is to start slow and work your way up gradually and to limit exercises to just the major lifts, so when you do start to push the limits of your strength, you don't injure yourself.

18. Pitfighter

Pitfighter Valued Member

To be honest any weight training program that prescribes a certain amount of reps per sets ratio is suspicious to me. If it is offered up as a starter program with room for variation and experimentation it is fine with me. Me personally I started with the BFS program. Bigger, Faster, Stronger

It related to Cleans, Bench Press, Deadlift, Squat

week 1: 10 reps by 3 sets
    week 2: 10 reps 1st set, 8 reps 2nd set adding wt, 6 reps 3rd set adding wt.
    week 3: 5 reps by 5 sets with roughly the same amount of weight as a 6 rep set or >
    week 4: 5 reps for set 1, 4 reps for set 2 adding wt., 3 reps for set 3 adding wt.
    2 reps for set 2 adding wt, 1 rep max.

I leave out the week 4 cycle since I'm insomniac and have no spotter.

on certain core and ligament exercises I throw it out b/c certain exercises work muscles that are essential stablizers but can't lift much weight at all. EX: External rotator cuff rotations. I just stick with 10 reps by 3 sets.

Once i switched doing just 5x5 and I plateaued. Not saying it won't work I just found that variation whether it is reps, sets, weight, motion, different compound movements. These keep your body growing stronger. There is no winning formula to a routine IMO except variation.

19. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

I can agree with a lot of the above.

IMHO... it's always going to be a mix of routine and variation. You have to get in enough routine to get the muscles torn down (and the sleep/proper nutrition to build them back up) and get the movements worked into your muscle memory. But if you stay there you stagnate... so you have to outsmart your own body - which is insanely good at adapting to stresses placed on it... and chuck in some variations of sets/reps/movements/angles/types of resistance etc.

This applies to cardio sessions as well... not just gaining muscles. Aerobic mixed anaerobic is the way to go. Just one or the other will not usually move you forward in terms of training for combat sports.