Strong quads for Judo

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Mark, Mar 23, 2003.

1. Mark

Mark New Member

I am having a lot of trouble performing some of the throws in Judo. Specifically the throws where I have to bend my knees and keep my back straight so that I can get under my oponents center of gravity. I have no strength in that position, so I'm going to start doing squats at home to improve my strength. I mean I know how to do squats, but should I do them slow, fast, in sets, till failure? Whatever I need to build some power. In case it makes a difference, I am still 6'7" and 290lbs. Thanks

Sincerely,
    Mark

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

That depends what equipment you have access to.

If you're lifting weights then try sets of 12 with a HEAVY weight - I wouldn't advocate training squats to to failure for safety reasons.

3. Joe karate

Joe karate New Member

Don't do them fast, do not bounce(if you like your your knees)

Try body weight squats to, it'll help alot.
    Makes sure you have a competent spotter and start out slowly and then build your way up in poundage. Don't really use much weight until you have the form down good.

4. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Good advice.

If you're doing strength endurance work like bodyweight squats then look into Scrapper's workouts for a good all round program.

Scrapper's workouts

5. Mark

Mark New Member

I don't have any equipment besides an old barbell and a few 10 and 15 lb weights. I'm looking for something I can perform at home using my own body weight, something that focuses specifically on the quadraceps. From the website the Boot-strapper exercise looks like it would help.

Mark

6. Joe karate

Joe karate New Member

Well since you don't have a squat rack, don't squat. Besides the bodyweight exercise will give you endurance which may be what you are looking for, although strength gains are great too. When i wrestled i barely squatted,(no time) and even now I stick to bodyweight due to lack of equipment.

7. Mark

Mark New Member

The way I started doing it is by standing straight with my hands at my sides, then I would bend my knees while keeping my back vertical. This seems to put most of the stress on my quads instead of glutes and back. And it's the same position I use in Judo.

frankly I'm satisfied with my strength in the other departments. I don't like lifting weights much. Besides, lifting people is so much more enjoyable:rolleyes:

Mark

8. Telsun

Telsun Valued Member

You could try single leg squats. Really drive up on your squatting (don't straighten your legs though), this will develop that dynamic power required in martial arts.
    I don't understand the reluctance to use weights. You could get twice the strength gains in half the time, although the endurance will not be as good it will still be better than most.
    You could also try squat thrusts and sprinting. These are also excellent for dynamic strength.

Just want to say Mark.........YOU ARE HUGE!!!!!

9. khafra

khafra New Member

I don't have weights at home, so I put my wife over the shoulders in a fireman's carry and squat her. The one-legged squats are good too, though.