Strong guy vs MMA guy.

Discussion in 'MMA' started by PsychoElectric, Dec 30, 2015.

1. PsychoElectric

PsychoElectric Valued Member

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aaehn1aY8Ig"]Conor McGregor vs The Mountain (Game of Thrones) - YouTube[/ame]

If you put them in a cage with typical mma rules fight then that big guy would destroy the skinny guy right?

2. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Which is why they created weight classes. They're also not sparring for real. That was a publicity stunt for McGregor far more than an actual recorded spar

3. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

4. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

You think?

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQIm9gnH8TM"]Small BJJ Fighter Takes On Monster Bodybuilder Mr. Utah (No Holds Barred 1994) - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
  5. icefield

icefield Valued Member

The last video was of a largish body builder v a very good bjjer where there was about a 100pound difference if that , the first video was of one of the largest and strongest men on the planet with someone 250 pounds lighter than him, I've been around strong guys most of my list life including world class powerlifters who made the bodybuilder look small and weak, I've also stood next to thor, honestly its hard to judge how big and athletic he is unless you see him in person, mma and bjj level the playing field allot but not THAT much lol

6. David Harrison

So you're saying that, once you reach a certain differential in raw strength, no amount of technical differential can ever change the odds of victory? Even though the human body has structural weaknesses that are barely affected by muscle mass?

7. icefield

icefield Valued Member

I'm saying there are certain advantages to being that big, strong and explosive that bjj and mma would have a hard time overcoming,

plus I'm pretty sure thor could curl Conner up and hulk smash him if he tried to arm bar him

8. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I'll say that. Change the odds sure, make them even of favourable no.

9. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

"I'd be a bloody fool if he didn't frighten me. He's freakish big and freakish strong. And quicker than you'd expect for a man of that size. Maybe I could take him, dance around until he's so tired of hacking at me, he dropped his sword, get him off his feet somehow. But one misstep...

...and I'm dead.
    "

Ser Bronn of the Blackwater

Swords aside, I think that applies in real life too when the size difference is so big. It's not impossible for McGregor to beat him, but the chances are very, very small.

10. David Harrison

So you have a man-mountain who's never been in a fight, thrown a strike or been struck, knows no locks, takedowns, footwork or defences.

Then you have a 150lb experienced and athletic professional fighter. He has spent years of his life training and fighting, has taken beatings, broken bones, knocked people out, has learnt to deal with adrenaline, can play the trash-talk psych game etc..

Your money is on the gentle giant?

11. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Who says he's gentle? We're talking about someone at the extreme end of size and strength who could bench-press Brock Lesnar against a very small fighter. All he needs to do is grab hold of him and pick him up, he doesn't need technique because he is at the extreme end of the scale for strength and Conor can't hit him in the face due to the size differential.

12. icefield

icefield Valued Member

People tend to downplay how quick and athletic these guys are especially people who have never completed in strength or grappling sports and who really don't know what they are talking about

they aren't gentle giants they are athletic monsters used to battling through pain and who can generate emense explosive power

13. David Harrison

I'm talking about hypothetical people, not specific people.

I'm just trying to see how far this idea can go before it breaks.

14. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

That is a massive assumption, even in a hypothetical situation. He could've wrestled (Glima) in high school or his uncle use to be a boxing coach in the navy for all any off us know. Even doing something like rugby or American football teaches someone how to do takedowns. I'd rather assume a big person knows how to fight than not.

Anyway here is the big man in a boxing ring. Dunno how well he does as I can't watch the whole video though!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23LR6pWEpKU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23LR6pWEpKU[/ame]

15. David Harrison

Nice dig, but you may notice that I was asking questions, not giving answers. I haven't downplayed anything, as I've never sparred with someone that huge, but it sounds like you may have? I'm also not sure why you only seem to be considering grappling, as the OP was about an MMA context.

Do you have any links you can share of untrained monsters trashing smaller, professional fighters?

16. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

Y' know, this strikes me (heh heh) as one hell of an assumption to make about a guy you know from YT vids.

17. David Harrison

Yeah, I can't watch that right now, but I'll check it out later.

You don't seem to get what I'm saying though: it's my hypothetical situation, so I can assume anything I want.

The giant has never done any significant training in a contact sport. He obviously has drive, grit and intent from his sporting pursuits, but is a fish out of water in the ring.

Does he still win in the majority of fights against seasoned, but smaller, fighters in an MMA context?

18. David Harrison

I'm not assuming anything about the guy. I haven't even mentioned him once, ever.

19. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Who is having a dig, I'd say it's obvious from your posts you have neither competed in strength sports or grappling and have no real reference point for either?
    , I mentioned grappling not mma because grappling is less relient on strength and mass than mma, hence we still see open weight classes in grappling, yet anyone who has grappled knows how much size strength and athletic ability matter, in mma its even more so,

20. icefield

icefield Valued Member

No you simply quoted a post made about him, not about a hypothetical person but about him specifically

But let's take your hypothetical point, a rickson bjj blackbelt took 7mins to finish a bodybuilder only a 100 pounds bigger than him, a bodybuilder not that strong or athletic, is it really a stretch to see that someone almost twice that BB size and way more athletic and explosive might be a handful for a small fighter?