Striking vs Grappling

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Andy Murray, Feb 23, 2002.

1. wayofthedragon

wayofthedragon The Defender

He He, I don't have anything to say at the moment. I just wanted my post to be number 100 since it was at 99 already:D
    Now I can feel special:love:

2. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

That really is quite sad. But I'm 1 up on you now!

3. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

So is anyone willing to admit they have a weakness in either area?

Do you need more knowledge of strike systems?

Do you need more knowledge of grappling systems?

I'll happily say both, but I do need more groundwork for sure!

4. Spike

Spike New Member

I need more knowledge in both, my striking is very poor, it used to be kinda quick but it`s not what it should be.
    My grappling is pathetic, in my defense that`s because I`ve done very little grappling training, the only think I`ve got going for me in groundwork or grappling is that I`m a bit of a freak, right Col?

5. Darzeka

Darzeka New Member

I need to work on using an almost lock (where its almost on but not) to move deliberately to something else that they leave open.

I've been looking for oppurtunities to strike in wrestling/grappling and have been finding without striking.

My movement has been improving lots recently, probably something to do with understanding what my opponent is trying to do and how to defeat it.

6. Freeform

I'm weak in both areas, just when you think your getting somewhere you come into contact with people who are just so much better than you are. So I'll strive to improve both.

For striking I'd say I definately have to work on combinations to improve fluidity of motion.
    In my grappling I'd say my grip-fighting has to improve before my next big step forward.

Spike is a complete freak and not only in the training hall (only joking mate ;) ) I twist his arms in locks that have normal people screaming but his joints don't seem to work like normal peoples!

Colin

7. morphus

morphus Doobrey

Well me...against someone thats never done any grappling i do very well but if i come across someone with a little knowledge then i start to have trouble which i s'pose is quite natural, the same goes for striking but i haven't really pressure tested my striking skills in the same way i have with grappling also the freedom to move from one area to another with greater flow would be good - SO conclusion - oh yes i have weakness in both areas and am putting plans in place to train and pressure test both areas a lot more and get more of the knowledge i need.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2002
  8. Mike Flanagan

Mike Flanagan Valued Member

Striking I'm reasonably happy with, although there's always room for improvement. But I'm satisfied with my repetoire of techniques, just need to continue working on them.

My grappling is the area that needs more work. In particular my groundwork sucks. That said, it does improve if I'm allowed to hit while on the ground (as opposed to Judo style groundwork).

Mike

9. Blackbelt

Blackbelt New Member

I think that striking and grappling are equally important. However I think that people seem to think that grappling ONLY means ground fighting when it really encompasses so much more. I am pretty proficient at both and I can tell you from first hand experience that in most cases a well placed choke or lock can end a fight MUCH faster then some strikes but not in all cases.

I remember awhile back I had a female friend who was having domestic issues with her boyfriend, this women also had three other female roomates that I knew from high school as well. Well on one particular day I was visiting their place with my bestfriend who was dating one of the other roomates and we were having a nice time when the boyfriend shows up at the front door.
    Now keep in mind that his girlfriend was at work at the time so it wasn't like I was over there to see her behind his back. Well he walks in and sees me standing there and starts going off on me about how his girlfriend is always telling me about their business and that I need to stop talking to his women and all this other stuff( not in such nice words though) and I just said "man look,I have been knowing her for years and we are friends and nothing more". He said some more profanities and walked off into her room.

A few minutes later she comes in from work and I knew that all hell was going to break loose, I had to make the decision on rather I should stay there or leave and I choose to stay because I had a feeling that he would try to hit on my friend. She says hi to me and I tell her that her MAN is waiting for her in her room and he is ticked off. She goes into the room and right away they start to argue while we are in the living room listening. After about a minute she comes out of the room and he comes out and grabs her by the hair, drags her back into the room, and slams the door. I immeadiately hopped up and told one of the other ladies to call the cops while I go in to ASSIST my friend. Anyway I go into the room and sure enough this punk is on top of my friend getting ready to haul off on her so I grabbed the back of his shirt collar and yanked him off of her. He gets up and rushes me with wild punches that had me on the defense for a while because he was swinging wildly, all this time my friend is screaming for him to stop and everyone else is crowding into the little room to see the fight.
    Eventually I got some space by pushing him backwards and nailing him with a palm heel to the chin. He then tried to tackle me onto the bed but I slapped a guillotine choke on him and it was lights out after a few seconds of applied pressure. I then waited outside for the cops to come and I explained to them what happened and they had me sit on the curb while they asked everyone else what happened. Eventually the girlfriend agreed to press charges on him and they took him away and let me go after they got all of my info. The next day I told my sifu what happened and he was upset that I would even put myself in that situation but that I reacted the right way given the circumstances. He said that the choke was a good choice because I could have been knocked out if I choose to slug it out with him in such close quarters. Funny thing is is that A couple of weeks later I found out that she was back with the punk even after all of that so I followed my sifus advice and ended the friendship. But anyways I told that story to give an example of how compatence in both striking and grappling is essential for the complete martial artist. Hopes this helps someone.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2003
  10. Cain

Cain New Member

Welcome to the forums blackbelt nice start, that was a pretty good post

|Cain|

11. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

I agree Blackbelt, they are equally important. I think most good martial artists will agree that they need to understand both and combined they are more effective than used in a strictly striking or grappling art.

And as you rightly said grappling isn’t just on the ground. These terms are often a cause for confusion, many people use the term grappler for someone that doesn’t use strikes, and the term groundfighter for someone that does.

Ps Bb I thought you handled the situation quite well, you can avoid putting yourself in many bad situations, but you wasn’t to know that would happen. You can’t start avoiding normal life situations in case something might happen

12. Freeform

Old but good.

Some of you should read through this old thread and try to mentally digest it, its good reading.

Please only post a reply if you've read the entire thing. Please no, 'I agree' comments.

Cheers,

Colin

13. Andy Murray

Lord,
    it seems like those original questions form much of the current discussion still.

14. shadow warrior

shadow warrior Valued Member

You should be proficient in as many aspects of martial art skill sets as possible, whether it be striking, stand up and or ground grappling.

Personal self defence is different than third party protection and proffessional applications in venue or club settings!

In the first case it is better to get a lawyer than a funeral director involved, in the second and third cases you should have a lawyer on retainer anyway! You should know when to HOLD (restrain, control and arrest) them and when to FOLD (knock down striking power) them!

Unfortunately this type of experience can be quite expensive!

Stand up striking skills rule in any multiple attacker situation in combination with stand up grappling (throwing, twisiting, projections and misdirectons).

15. STASH

STASH New Member

There is more to self-defence then grappling and striking.

16. Andy Murray

Re: Re: Striking vs Grappling

Damn, all these years and I missed that :D

17. STASH

STASH New Member

Didnt mean to insult you in any way Andy, I'm just frustrated...most people just look at me blankly when I talk about the psychological/emotional stuff. I think I'll start a thread on that.

18. Kwan Jang

Kwan Jang Valued Member

-Good point. There is training to avoid the situation in the first place, as well as deciding what level of force is appropriate at the time. One weakness of most MA programs is too many are simply technique based. I feel that adrenal stress training is another major concern in being effective, too. Our system tries to realistically deal with both striking (stand up and ground) and grappling (stand up and ground). We also include regular use of adrenal stress drills in most classes. It's been through this that we evolved from a traditional base to mixed martial arts (regarding Andy's original query).

19. Timmy Boy

Timmy Boy Man on a Mission

I find I generally have to use striking, unless my opponent is a lot smaller than me. This is because I am tall with a light frame, so I am the wrong kind of build for getting in close at all, but i have fairly good reach and flexibility. I do know a few grappling techniques but really I prefer striking.