Strikeforce Brawl

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Ular Sawa, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUEWwD1kVng"]YouTube- Strikeforce Brawl - Jake Shields[/ame]

This is certainly a black eye for the sport. Never cared for those Diaz boys & thought they lacked class.

2. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

3. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Jeez. who's the idiot with the two tone hair who stepped in during the interview?

4. Pitfighter

Pitfighter Valued Member

Honestly best moment in MMA this year. Hahhahaha

C'mon that was funny. I mean yea fighting like that is dumb but it happens all time in other sports. Stuff like that happened in Pride all the time too.

Great stuff. Makes me wanna watch Strikeforce more.

5. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

pathetic

6. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Quoted for truth.

7. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

Not good. We need more fighters like Genki Sudo and less like that if we ever want this sport to become permanent. If people run it into the ground with this sort of antics we won't have a sport anymore. We'll have to start over in another decade again.

8. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

Mayhem Miller. He fought Tim Stout earlier in the night. He's known for doing goofy stuff but he really crossed some lines that night, even before that incident, if everything I've heard is correct. (I only got to watch the second half of the card, from Aoki on.)

9. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

I usually like Mayhem and his antics, but that was completely out of order. He got totally dominated by Shields, its not like he lost a contentious decision.

This sort of stuff is very bad for the sport, I hope Miller and anyone else found to be at fault gets dealt with.

However, you can see similar scenes in practically every other sport at one time or another. Baseball, Football, American Football, Ice Hockey(!), Rugby etc etc. It would be unfair if the sport of MMA as a whole is discredited by this in a way that those sports haven't been.

10. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Those have been big sports since before big TV audiences. MMA is a fledgling sport as far as TV goes and advertisers wont want to be associated with a load of thugs being pulled apart.

11. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Sucks for the sport but I'm kind of looking forward to seeing Dana White jump on this. First time I ever watched strikeforce properly (I hate the commentary it boars into my head) and I liked the fight this was a huge win for Shields and now its going to be compeltely downplayed in favour of the massive brawl.

Loved the crowd cheering though such a typical response :p

EDIT: Didn't strikeforce have a problem once with someone deliberately soccer kicking some dude in the skull and having to be dragged off by a couple other refs?

12. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

That probably set back the acceptance of MMA in the mainstream a good several years.

13. Kwan Jang

Kwan Jang Valued Member

This one was a heartbreak for me. I was sitting with my wife and staff third row center as guests of Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker. Scott has been a good friend of mine for over 30 years (we are both 6th dans under KJN Ernie Reyes). In fact, I had breakfast with him Friday morning at his hotel and he was telling me about all the work he was doing to try to improve the image of the sport and make it more mainstream. Many traditionalists in the MA's are turned off by some of the behavior by other promoters and leaders in the sport. Scott is and has been working hard to take things in the right direction.

Scott is one of the best people I've ever met and you would be hard pressed to find a better gentleman, especially as a represenative for the sport. His decades of experience and contacts with ISKA, K-1 and ESPN have put him in a great position to be taken seriously by those who make the decsisions with the networks. Hopefully, there wasn't too much damage done by those jokers last night. As a sport, we have a great oppurtunity to take things to the next level and I really hope they didn't blow it. As some others have said, while this does happen in other sports, ours is too young and stil trying to move forward, to be able to afford such behavior.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010